Pat's Backcountry Beer?

I own one and its not the best beer but is tolerable. I have the amber and the black IPA and neither are the worst I have ever tasted. It took me several failed attempts to carbonate but now that I have it figured out it's not bad. I am a beer snob (I have over $3k in beer in my cellar) and none of the available beer concentrates are my favorite styles, but I'd drink one after a hard days hiking.

WARNING: There are 2 different versions of the carbonation bottle. Make sure you follow the instruction video for the version you get. I have version 1 (orange top) and was following the instructions for version 2 (blue cap) resulting in several failed attempts.

Here's an odd question generated by COlineman's comment: How long is beer good for in a can?

Depends on the beer Budweiser/bud light has a shelf life of 110 days. Pasteurized micros/domestics that aren't AB are around 180 days and unpasteurized can be around 60 ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here's an odd question generated by COlineman's comment: How long is beer good for in a can?

Depends on the beer. IPAs are supposed to be consumed within 6 weeks, the earlier the better (only exception is some people prefer to age Dogfishhead 120 minute). Stouts can age the longest, but in a can you should probably drink them within a year before oxidation starts to occur. In bottles again it depends on the beer and also how it was bottled. Bottle conditioning is a technique where the beer is actually carbonated in the bottle by adding yeast and sugar when bottling which consumes any oxygen left in the bottle and helps preserve flavors for a lot longer. If properly cellared 10 years isn't unheard of for stouts and lambic. I have an '06 BFM Abbaye de Saint bon Chien in my cellar that probably needs to be opened soon. Most bottle conditioned beer is easily good for 3-5 years.

TLDR: If it's an IPA drink it now. If it was less than $15 per bottle it's probably good for up to a year, but you should probably drink in 3 months. If it was more than $15/bottle then you're good for 3-5 years if kept at 55 deg or less.

Last edited:
OP
P

Poser

WKR
I've carried whiskey on hunts before and will probably do it again especially if it's cold out. I was thinking this setup might be good for summer bikepacking and scouting trips where there is. More relaxed environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've carried whiskey on hunts before and will probably do it again especially if it's cold out. I was thinking this setup might be good for summer bikepacking and scouting trips where there is. More relaxed environment.

Yeah, I carry both on my summer fishing trips sometimes. Whiskey and cigars by the fire, beer on hot afternoons. Only downside is that if you don't go high enough the water isn't quite as cold as you'd like. Also, make sure and use fresh filtered water so that it's nice and cold.

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
I think I would like the idea of just drinking it straight out the pack if I was FORCED to bring one. Seems like a lot of hassle. I have been brewing the finest beers for a while and one huge consideration, all beers have different carbonation levels. So, would the carbonation levels be correct, I dont know. Pretty cool idea tho. Ill just stick with the 150p clear in a water bottle.:D. Don't need to pack to much of that!!

ptarmigan

FNG
I've had it several times and its pretty good. I know Pat and Bitsy from when they lived in Talkeetna. My hunting partner is an investor with the company. That being said, if we're using wheelers or argos we bring the real stuff every time. Why not right?

Depends on the beer. IPAs are supposed to be consumed within 6 weeks, the earlier the better (only exception is some people prefer to age Dogfishhead 120 minute).
Kinda. A beer like IPA will start to lose some hop character so for best flavor it's best consumed fresh. I guess I read the question to mean how long before a beer turns in the can. Haven't ever found out but I don't think a year is unreasonable for any beer. My dad has my grandpas last can of Buckhorn beer from the 70's sitting on a shelf. That one probably doesn't taste too good.

Kinda. A beer like IPA will start to lose some hop character so for best flavor it's best consumed fresh. I guess I read the question to mean how long before a beer turns in the can. Haven't ever found out but I don't think a year is unreasonable for any beer. My dad has my grandpas last can of Buckhorn beer from the 70's sitting on a shelf. That one probably doesn't taste too good.

Well, the real question is your definition of 'turn' or 'go bad'. The average beer drinker can probably not tell the difference between an oxidized stout without a side by side. While any beer is probably drinkable for 1-3 years in a can, but I was referring to maintaining quality tastes. Some beer can actually get better over time. Once you get a feel for it you can start to intentionally age certain beers until they are in their prime. Once you are in the beer groups, word get out once someone opens one on how it tastes and you can pop them wen they are in their prime. Again, this only counts for certain beers. The cheapest available that might fall into this category is Lagunitas High Westified ($15-18 per 6-pack), but it could be pasteurized. The most widely distributed beer is Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout (BCBS) that comes out on black friday, but this year it was also pasteurized. For these styles of beer pasteurizing is actually a bad thing as it prevents the beer from changing over time and will probably cause much quicker oxidation.

Well, the real question is your definition of 'turn' or 'go bad'. The average beer drinker can probably not tell the difference between an oxidized stout without a side by side. While any beer is probably drinkable for 1-3 years in a can, but I was referring to maintaining quality tastes. Some beer can actually get better over time. Once you get a feel for it you can start to intentionally age certain beers until they are in their prime. Once you are in the beer groups, word get out once someone opens one on how it tastes and you can pop them wen they are in their prime. Again, this only counts for certain beers. The cheapest available that might fall into this category is Lagunitas High Westified ($15-18 per 6-pack), but it could be pasteurized. The most widely distributed beer is Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout (BCBS) that comes out on black friday, but this year it was also pasteurized. For these styles of beer pasteurizing is actually a bad thing as it prevents the beer from changing over time and will probably cause much quicker oxidation.
For sure. Not 100% sure but I would think the canning process leaves very little headspace so the oxidation process would slow down a bit. We brewed a moonshine barrel aged doppelbock a while back and while it was really good to start, it was fantastic 6 months later. I have a bottle of Surly Pentagram I've been sitting on for like 5 years, mostly because I'm not a huge sour beer guy. I believe it's fairly high ABV but prob need to crack that soon.

Regarding the OP, I was pretty interested in Pat's BCB when I first heard about it. Now if it's under 3 miles or so pack in I'll just make some room for some good canned beer. Further than that and it's bourbon.

JWP58

WKR
I think water or coffee is good enough for me. Believe it or not I can go multiple weeks without booze (no shakes even)