Biggest, baddest, newest etc...

The only thing I get tired of is the shear amount of marketing. I refuse to buy vortex stuff. Not that it is bad stuff, I'm just tired of seeing it and hearing about it all the friggin time. Ive pretty much given up on magazines. Its like paying $6 to look at ads. More ads then content it seems like.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I get buyers remorse before I buy stuff half the time.
See I'm the same way, I had too many times in my early college days when I had no idea when I was going to eat or how I was going to buy gas to get home to ever want to buy something because it was cool or to show off.

Granted that was when my source of income was spitting down bucking horses..

See I'm the same way, I had too many times in my early college days when I had no idea when I was going to eat or how I was going to buy gas to get home to ever want to buy something because it was cool or to show off.

Granted that was when my source of income was spitting down bucking horses..

Texan as in the Ville?

nrh6.7

WKR
In my case I didn't have anything and basically started from zero. All my hunting gear is over 20 years old and in dire need of being replaced. That said, I always buy towards the higher end simply because it generally works better (for the given task) and lasts longer (also generally). I also NEVER pay retail for my gear. I either buy used (Mathews bow) or wait for a sale on what I need. I work hard for my money and enjoy buying nice gear, but I won't spend money just to be spending money. But since I had to buy everything, I'm buying some dang nice stuff to help my old self fare better in the woods!!! : )

FLAK

WKR
As I've become older, and wiser I now realize it's more about the trip
than all the fancy "stuff". i actually prefer older gear that I have confidence in.
If it works I dont fix it.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
For me...the guy pushing 60 hard, I decided a few years ago that this is what I do! Hunting is my passion and next to God and family it leads my life. I made a commitment that I would have the best gear possible to be able to go further, stay out longer, warmer and drier, more comfortable etc. Something else is getting sold on ebay to get there. Not about showing off at all.

I really enjoy high-grading in the off season. I look back in my journal and see what worked and what did not. What did I wish I had. I make those corrections and move ahead. Inevitably the list changes the next year...Great fun!

Pro953

WKR
Gear is fun. Sure it can be a status thing for some. Whatever makes them happy.

For myself, married with kids and a FT corporate gig, the amount of time in the field is never enough. Sometimes it's fun to mix it up between google earth, researching draws and looking at/ buying new gear when I can't actually be in the field hunting.

Some of us have more time than money, some more money than time etc... and the REALLY lucky ones have both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I have learned so much from this forum. Even though it has cost me a bunch of money, It has also raised the value of my hunting experience 10 fold. I am also thrilled be able to give back a little now and then. I don't fight the bug for new gear as good as I should, but I research and buy well when I do.

Gear does become a little bit of a cock swinging contest. I was reminded of that when the 2 "really cool guys" in downtown Portland were eating at chipotle wearing matching jetstream jackets. Gear to some is a fashion statement for others.