Biggest, baddest, newest etc...

CorbLand

WKR
There is nothing wrong with being a gear whore. If you can and are willing to spend the money on top of the line gear, have at it. Where it becomes a problem is when you feel that those that don't have what you do are not as good as you because of it.

To the OP. Who cares what other people have? You will find life much better when you don't concern yourself with others and what they chose to spend their money on.

Kilboars

WKR
I really don't get to hunt as much as I'd like to so looking at the new gear that might improve my hunts helps me through the off season.

As far as spending money and or hunting there's always a trade off.
Spend more time working to go on fewer but better hunts with better gear or work less and hunt more with OTC tags or local lands with less.

Don't hate either. We all have a price to pay. And get to choose our own path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I am a gear junky for sure, but tend to buy on sale and have a hard time paying full price ;)

I look at it from a comfort perspective: either buy all the cheap gear at wal-mart and be miserable, or buy quality, purposeful items and be comfortable. The braggart attitude can be left behind, and remember, people use what works for them and/or what they can afford.

I always try to buy top quality gear for the durability and comfort it gives. Or the purpose it serves. I'm that way with everything though. I'll pay more and have less but better stuff. Has nothing to do with showing off for me. I'd just rather buy once and cry once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I get buyers remorse before I buy stuff half the time.

All of the above applies for me. I buy the best stuff I can afford but always try and get it on sale/ used when I can or where it makes sense. I am a brand/ gear whore when in comes to some things but usually it is because I know it will work when I need it to work and will last me more than a couple seasons. The thing that gets me is that no matter how good of a deal I get on something, I will find it cheaper the day after I buy it.....never fails.

Well there are guys who love good gear and use the guts out of it in actual pursuit of hunting and killing game. Then there are guys who just seem to be more into gear and gear-tweaking...acquiring, displaying and comparing their gear versus actually really beating hell out of it on rough hunts. I tend to notice both types but I don't spend any time being bothered by the differences. I think of it like guns. Some guys buy new guns all the time with the theory it's a better hunting rig. It might just be, but we all realize most of it is just a guy loving his guns. Who's to judge or care?....not me for sure.

I like to think I use my gear pretty hard. I'm no youngster but I keep digging in and hunting hard in some rough places. I enjoy good gear and sometimes I really enjoy good gear. But for the most part, I don't have need of comparing it (or self) to others. I don't think I buy anything out of ego-drive. If I spend money on something it's generally a good bet I'm doing it for a benefit of some kind. That doesn't mean I needed something new however.

The ones that I really can't identify with? The guys who simply cannot be happy without that new big and bad toy. Ego-driven. More about ownership (and maybe some use) than really hard use. I don't blame anyone for this latest-and-greatest craze. It's part of our American culture and it's been going on for many decades.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ive pretty much given up on magazines. Its like paying $6 to look at ads. More ads then content it seems like.

That's just like TV anymore. I remember when cable first came out. The entire allure of it was "no commercials". Now, we pay for the service and have to deal with commercials. The worst part it seems is that every single channel is at commercial at the same time. I'm actually cancelling my Direct TV service today. Tired of paying for commercials.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Someone already said it........some guys have more money than time. They don't have the time or desire to research and analyze every purchase. For me, that's who I am.......I research and analyze everything. So I can usually find a suitable substitute for much less money.

However, you can still get top quality gear at great prices, it just might not be "this years" top rated gear. Sometimes I identify gear that I want, and then wait. And I keep looking for it until I find it for the price I'm willing to pay for it. My Zamberlan boots were $300 retail and I got them on clearance from Amazon for $86. Best hunting boots I've ever used.....unfortunately they were on clearance because they were discontinued. But still lots of deals out there on top quality gear. My buddies and I used to get our skis at the Gart Warehouse in Denver for $99 because they were "last years" models. Golf equipment is the same way. They change stuff up enough that within a year or two, those "top rated" clubs from a year ago are now cheap.

I will never make apologies for being frugal. My dad grew up in the depression.......he was "cheap". I still like quality gear, I'm just not willing to pay top dollar for that.

Beendare

WKR
In my case....bowhunting is my #1 hobby and I'm fortunate enough to have the extra $$ to chunk down for some of this good gear....so whats the harm?

Now if you are surviving paycheck to paycheck to support your family...thats a different story.

With no tv and no Facebook, Instagram etc... accounts I don't even understand the premise of this thread. The only time I see any of the gear talked about here is 5-10 miles in from the trailhead.

The older I get the more I feel like a foreigner in the good 'ol USofA.

Having said that I'm a big believer of live and let live. When fishing out of my 70's era 16 ft Lund I'm surrounded by 30 ft Grady's and Whalers. You spend your money as you see fit and I'll spend mine as I see fit.

That's just like TV anymore. I remember when cable first came out. The entire allure of it was "no commercials". Now, we pay for the service and have to deal with commercials. The worst part it seems is that every single channel is at commercial at the same time. I'm actually cancelling my Direct TV service today. Tired of paying for commercials.

I haven't had paid for tv for about 10 years now.....I have better things to do. Like most media these days....more hassle than its worth.

I don't know if this applies or not but I know that the gear that is out today hasn't helped me too much. I find myself using the very basic of equipment to get the job done.

The only new gadgetry that I use is a new rangefinder and I just got that on sale.

16Bore

WKR
No different than a golfer that buys a new driver every year and can't putt for shit.

Overblown but creates revenue. Some seem afraid to hunt if their shirts don't match their pants.

Nobody blowing wads on stuff that they think they need is ever going to admit they didn't really need it, until they don't.

Don't be afraid to like what you like.

Murdy

WKR
It's certainly not limited to hunting. I have a buddy who trades his snowmobile every couple years, another with 4 four wheelers, and another with more fishing poles than I have spinners.

adamm88

WKR
I think hunters by nature are gear whores...iv always hunted but iv always roatated hobbies that i sink most of my time and money into. So advertisers and companies are going to cater to the majority of there potential clientell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My time outdoors is precious and being limited by gear that either slows me down, wears me out prematurely or hinders me in any way is disappointing. I train my body to hunt with a goal of being able to hit it hard day after day and wake up feeling ready to go. I don't want my gear to be any less capable. I cirtainly obsess over gear but it's only because I'm obsessed with hunting and hiking and spending time in places that require some forethought to remain in for very long.
If guys want to get all dressed up in fancy clothes and hang around trail heads then by all means. It's nice to know that there is someone looking after the truck.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Am I the only one who is completely annoyed and disgusted with many sportsmen's obsession with the "newest, baddest" hunting products?

I mean I get it, I like having new quality gear, and I understand a company has to market to make a living, but it's almost as if the ability to show off is superior to the experience of being in the field.

It might not be this way everywhere, I mean I am surrounded by a special demographic most of the time (college kids, duck hunters, Texans). And y'all seem pretty level headed about stuff so what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

I agree with you completely but we are in the minority because as I was told by one of the moderators "this is a gear forum."
Although it's no different than people who must have a new car or truck every year, how dreadful it would be if they wee seen in last years model or last years camo.

1signguy

WKR
If someone didn't buy the latest and greatest there would be no development that filters down...
Fortunately there are folks that have the desposible income.
Really no difference between the guy that drops a couple hundred and the guy that drops 20k- other than income. The guy that has the money works plenty hard for it... Its all relative...

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I'll say one last thing: half of y'all seemed to miss the point.

That being said there's still a lot of good stuff that was said. And I know I'm relatively new here, but from what I can tell y'all all have some good thoughts that can be helpful discussing many situations.