Biggest, baddest, newest etc...

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one who is completely annoyed and disgusted with many sportsmen's obsession with the "newest, baddest" hunting products?

I mean I get it, I like having new quality gear, and I understand a company has to market to make a living, but it's almost as if the ability to show off is superior to the experience of being in the field.

It might not be this way everywhere, I mean I am surrounded by a special demographic most of the time (college kids, duck hunters, Texans). And y'all seem pretty level headed about stuff so what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

I may be in the minority, and don't take this as a slight directed at you, but I couldn't give less of a krzyzewski about how other people spend their money.

I prefer to spend money buying tags, gas, and food. Anything to get more days in the mountains. My 7 year old recurve always gets the job done. Don't need any new equipment for elk and deer this year.

Trial153

WKR
I think your in the wrong place. This forum is chock full of guys that are all about the looking and trying new and up graded products to use in the field. I don't see it as chest thumping thing but more as us just being pretty anal about our gear, not being satisfied with mediocrity.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I think your in the wrong place. This forum is chock full of guys that are all about the looking and trying new and up graded products to use in the field. I don't see it as chest thumping thing but more as us just being pretty anal about our gear, not being satisfied with mediocrity.

I may be in the minority, and don't take this as a slight directed at you, but I couldn't give less of a krzyzewski about how other people spend their money.

I'm with both of y'all. I'm sorry I didn't mean to knock spending money per se, but more just a rant on how having the stuff to show off is glorified more than the experience of using it. Does that make sense?

Look at it this way; the guys that always have to have the latest and greatest enable the guys that don't care, like you, to get last year's gear at a discount and 2 year old gear at a substantial discount at the point of being obsolete. Compare this to back in the day when you would have to go with 10 year old or inherited gear if you were on a budget.

elkyinzer

WKR
It's human nature. I'm positive that our caveman ancestors attacked neighboring clans to steal their superior tools/weapons.

That being the case, it drives some people's desire to show-off, which I agree is annoying. It also breeds jealousy, which pretty much everyone experiences whether they admit it or not.

I find that most people here are pretty decent about evaluating gear without getting too showy or anything. I've relied on so much information here to make informed purchases. In that way this site is great, not only does it inform consumers but it undoubtedly shapes the trends of designers. There are a few around these parts who simply have a gear/shopping addiction, no different than a woman that has 100 pairs of shoes.

There's been a thread that gets resurrected now and again about "using what you have" sort of an admiration of old/repurposed type gear. I like the old stuff that has proven it's worth and durability over shiny new stuff, but that's just me.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Look at it this way; the guys that always have to have the latest and greatest enable the guys that don't care, like you, to get last year's gear at a discount and 2 year old gear at a substantial discount at the point of being obsolete. Compare this to back in the day when you would have to go with 10 year old or inherited gear if you were on a budget.

I like the guys who buy new stuff every year. I try and buy most of my gear used, scratch and dent, or on closeout. Sometimes I get bit with the gotta have it now bug.

I'm with both of y'all. I'm sorry I didn't mean to knock spending money per se, but more just a rant on how having the stuff to show off is glorified more than the experience of using it. Does that make sense?

It might be something to do with buying the gear is easier than getting out and using it. People are always looking for something to give them an experience. An acquaintance of mine has been paid to use products on his urban "adventures." These companies hope that people go, "wow look at how fun that is and he is wearing xyz brand shoes! I'll have more fun if I own those shoes too!"

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think what you're saying is the "I'm better or superior or entitled" attitude that comes with some gear junkies?

I think what you're saying is the "I'm better or superior or entitled" attitude that comes with some gear junkies?

I do get this a little where people act like if you aren't using XXX you might as well be using rocks and sticks... Sometimes we need to be reminded that what's the best option for us may not be for someone else, whether it be use or preference. For example, Aron refuses to use a titanium Jetboil due to burning the fins off of numerous of them while melting snow. Well, I guarantee well over the majority of people on this site have never melted snow in the backcountry. Or those of us that love our Kifaru's and would never go with anything else, there are a ton of hunters that just need a daypack and might only need to haul out an elk once every other year. For this a Kifaru is way overkill and while we love the company, maybe that guy would be much better off spending the money on better boots or something.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Am I the only one who is completely annoyed and disgusted with many sportsmen's obsession with the "newest, baddest" hunting products?

I mean I get it, I like having new quality gear, and I understand a company has to market to make a living, but it's almost as if the ability to show off is superior to the experience of being in the field.

It might not be this way everywhere, I mean I am surrounded by a special demographic most of the time (college kids, duck hunters, Texans). And y'all seem pretty level headed about stuff so what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

We at Rokslide not only like it! We help lead the ****ing charge:)

SWOHTR

WKR
I look at it from a comfort perspective: either buy all the cheap gear at wal-mart and be miserable, or buy quality, purposeful items and be comfortable. The braggart attitude can be left behind, and remember, people use what works for them and/or what they can afford.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm sorry I didn't mean to knock spending money per se, but more just a rant on how having the stuff to show off is glorified more than the experience of using it. Does that make sense?

It's their money.........I don't care how they spend it or show it off. It doesn't affect me in any way. What gets me is all the people and kids of people on welfare that are sporting new smart phones and $100 sneakers every year. That does affect me and the rest of us, because we're paying for that. That I have a problem with.

But if they've actually earned the money......spend away.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I always try to buy top quality gear for the durability and comfort it gives. Or the purpose it serves. I'm that way with everything though. I'll pay more and have less but better stuff. Has nothing to do with showing off for me. I'd just rather buy once and cry once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just like to tinker and try new stuff and it's just to easy to do on the internet.

Like one of my school teachers said "what ever keeps the gun out of your mouth"

Probably many like me have the disease in other forms and forums too,,,,,,like woodworking and automotive tools,,,,yard and gardening equipment,,,,,,fishing gear,,,kayaking.........

skiing, dirtbiking, mountain biking, snowmobiling, rafting, fishing require lots of damn gear, sometimes you just got to get the latest shit... My name is Mtslackcountry and I am a ****ing addict...

My hunting splurge for 2017 is the SIG kilo 2400. Cant wait to get my grubby hands on one....