8X or 10X for CO Elk hunt

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
If the price delta for the between the 8x and 10x allows you to buy higher quality 8x glass, I would go with 8x. That's what I did. I upgraded to a set of Swaro 8x32 EL binos to give me the lower magnification in the woods of Pennsylvania, and I didn't feel underpowered when I was in Montana last year due to the clarity of the high end glass.

-David

WKR
I went to 8x30s after carrying larger ones around. Won't be going back to larger ones.

jsbowhunt

FNG
Since you want to use them back home too, I'd definitely go with the 8x. I'm from the East coast and just bring my regular binos out for the 7-10 days you're there.

Nearly all western hunters use 42mm objective lens binos, with 10x magnification being the most common. If you're not a trophy hunter then 8x42 has a wider field of view and that offers advantages. Elk aren't particularly hard to spot since they're so brown, so my vote is 8x42, though 10x42 is the most common out west and also will work great.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted with both. I can't think of any scenario where 8X would be advantageous other than they are generally less expensive than their 10X counterparts. Anyone can freehand 10X binos with very little practice. I can't imagine the added weight of 10X making or breaking your hunt. While I understand the light gathering argument since the 10X will have a slightly smaller exit pupil, I just don't think that 10X binos are markedly deficient in that area, so long as you buy at least mediocre glass. Long story short, I'd rather have the extra magnification and not need it than to need it and not have it.

LostArra

WKR
Magnification also affects field of view and depth of field.
Both are less with higher magnification which means more panning and more focusing with 10x compared to 8x.
This isn't terribly crucial for hunting but I have noticed this difference when glassing a bedded herd of elk in the sage.

The relative "zoom" difference put in perspective:
Using a 10x an elk at 1000 yards will appear 100 yards away as seen with the naked eye.
The same elk at 1000 yards with an 8x will appear 125 yards away as seen with the naked eye.
The 10x moved it 25 yards closer over the 1000 yards.

I'm not promoting one over the other just comparing. I use both but hunt more with 8x.
The key is getting the absolute best quality glass you can afford regardless of magnification.

Last edited:
I've used both. Either will work fine for you. Saying which one will be better for you is hard to predict because it will vary based on your hunting style and where you hunt. 10x binos on a tripod are far better for elk hunting the Missouri Breaks, whereas 8x may be ideal for mixed timber and open ridges.

I'd sacrifice magnification to spend more on glass quality if I needed to.

LostArra

WKR
I should add that while I usually hunt with 8x, I'm usually hunting cow elk since a bull tag is a tough draw my unit.
I don't need to analyze antlers. I just need to know if they are cows. The tough part is locating all of them in a group before trying to get close since the one bedded in the tall sage is usually the guard cow that blows the whole deal.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Swarovision Binos that are 8x and have used 10x in the past. I by far like 8x for whitetails and out West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhuntin

FNG
If you are occasionally going out west for elk and mostly whitetail back home, I like the 8x42. They are easier to hold steady over a 10x. If you are not counting points/inches I don't really think you gain anything with the 10x and 8x is more than enough for whitetail back home. Either way I think you will be happy but I think the big advantage the 8x has over the 10x is its better in lower light given the same objective lens size and the 8x will be more steady off hand. Good luck in the field!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I could only have one pair, I'd go with 10's.......but all my hunting is out west. However, I use 8x32's for archery elk hunting. Most all my elk hunting is in some sort of timber so I prefer the 8's. Most the time I just use my rangefinder when I'm hunting and need to glass something quickly.

You can sometimes get away with cheap glass in lower powers, but I wouldn't want to use cheap glass in a higher power.

My first quality binos were 10x42's, then I picked up the 8x32's, and the 15x56's. And quite frankly, since getting the 8's and 15's my 10's usually just sit in my safe unless I'm taking my daughter hunting. Then I use the 10's and she uses the 8's.