Backpacking with kids?

twall13

WKR
Heck yeah that's awesome. Looks like you had some luck fishing too! What kind of pack is he wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a good trip for sure.

The pack is an REI brand pack, I'm not sure if they still make it as I got it on a closeout sale last year. It should be able to grow with him into his mid teens. I was debating between that one and the Deuter Fox but with the closeout sale this one won out and it's a pretty good pack. You may try to find one used, I'm sure some of the backpacking forums would have some used ones for sale or there's always ebay.

OP
tzimm007

tzimm007

FNG
I looked on eBay for the Deuter fox 30 and 40 only 1 used that I saw. REI has the Deuter Climber kids on clearance for 69 but it's not adjustable like the fox packs. It says it will fit 10 to 17 inch torsos though. I think the adjustability is with the extra money.

CCH

WKR
I started my kids young, and at the age you're talking about, I really recommend a minimal load. Rain gear and snacks are the primary stuff I would have them carry -- things they may need access to on the hike. Dad always carried the heavy load. The hike stays more fun that way and more ground can be covered with short strides. The suggestions to get to water are great. Having a destination that features fishing or just water to play in/with gives them something to look forward to as a "destination."

Tod osier

WKR
I started my kids young, and at the age you're talking about, I really recommend a minimal load. Rain gear and snacks are the primary stuff I would have them carry -- things they may need access to on the hike. Dad always carried the heavy load. The hike stays more fun that way and more ground can be covered with short strides. The suggestions to get to water are great. Having a destination that features fishing or just water to play in/with gives them something to look forward to as a "destination."

Absolutely keep the packs light. We always have our son carry raingear, sleeping bag and his emergency kit, which includes a bivy of some sort - that is pretty much at weight limit just that stuff.

hflier

WKR
I am from Oklahoma and the elevation takes more of a toll than you think. I think 4 miles at that elevation would be a struggle for kids without acclimating. I feel pretty crappy until about day 3-4. If it were me I would try 2 miles with the kids. 20-25% less air sucks until your blood cells catches up. If you push too much they will be irritable and lethargic and wont understand why. If you can do 2 days at elevation acclimating then maybe 2 miles day 1 and slightly longer day 2. You may be better off. Once you hit day 4, probably be good. If they feel it is the Bataan death march, they won't want to go again. I also learned not to talk about Bears and Mountain Lions(even good discussions) with them before or during the trip or they really get freaked out at night.

OP
tzimm007

tzimm007

FNG
Thanks that's good advice I don't know enough about it or maybe just enough to get myself in trouble. I want them to have a really good time in for this to turn into something that they will want to continue to keep doing. I'm also hoping for my first elk hunt in Colorado later this year. I would love to start taking my kids and give them an earlier start than I had had it

blackdawg

WKR
I did a backpacking trip with family on spring break last week for four days. I also have great hopes to get them ready for some western experiences,,hopefully this summer. I learned that my 7 yr old is only going 1.5 miles. If there wasn't a goal to achieve or a game played while we hiked, after the 2nd day there wasn't much motivation to hike. I would highly recommend beginning with very short and close to home trips. I let them get involved with all parts of the camping, build fires "favorite part", cut wood, tie knots, read maps, filter water, use compass, lead the way following trail blazes, etc,etc. , that really helped keep them camping.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
In case you haven't seen this yet for lyle lake. Lyle/Mormon Lakes Trail - Colorado
| AllTrails.com
. If you want an alternative to consider I have an area that I've taken my oldest who was 8 at the time. It would be a little less elevation, closer to a town with amenities like a good burger and ice cream for the kids on the way out. Also about 30 mins from there is a great day hike 2 miles total around a lake with a waterfall at the back end. It's unusually thick growth for Colorado, good shade. Actually that day hike has other trails near by too. Send me a PM if you want more details.

OP
tzimm007

tzimm007

FNG
Dude that's awesome! Thanks

My advice? Pick a spot that only 2-3 miles and mostly downhill and/or flat with a hike-thru route to a second vehicle below where you are camping. Kids like going downhill...uphill not so much. Ease em into it. Focus on fun and fishing and being comfortable in the backcountry.