Wide Toe Box

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Other than Crispi, who I have heard has a wide toe box, who else has one? Crispi doesn't carry my size (14). i like the summit and idaho versions of the Crispis but they just dont make my size so something in those type of boots (uninsulated, GTX, 7-8" tall)

The latest version of the Danner Pronghorn has a wide toebox. I ordered a pair, and when I got them, they looked nothing like the two pair I had in the closet. I returned them because I thought they looked like "Mickey Mouse Boots". The toe box was wider and more rounded, whereas my older two pair have more of a pointy toe. Not the quality of Crispi, but you might look at them.

I wear a triple E. Duck feet! Only boots wide enough to fit me are the Danner Pronghorns and Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX boots.

Are you looking for a wide size or just a generous toe box? If it's the latter then Kenetreks have a generous toe box. Heard Hanwag do as well but have not personally tried them to confirm. Meindl's aren't too bad either.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Not wide sizes just roomy toe boxes. My actual foot (arch etc) is not wide just the knuckles where toes begin

On another note I got measured by a podiatrist. My right foot is a 14 and my left is a 13. Which makes sense because my right foot was the one that felt uncomfortable in my solomons. I think I'm gonna get him to do me a pair of custom orthotics. They do them in house instead of sending to a lab. $150

ChrisS

WKR
I think anything with a full rubber rand is going to be a pain to fit properly until you find "the one". I have a smaller foot, but a wide toebox. Hanwag regulars weren't wide enough for me. Lowa tibet in a wide were too tight. Zamberlan Vioz wides weren't wide enough.

The best boot that fit me right out of the box were the Salomon Quest 4Ds. They don't market them as a wide, but they fit well.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Those that went with Crispi what are your thoughts on Idaho vs summit. I may have found some of each

Not wide sizes just roomy toe boxes. My actual foot (arch etc) is not wide just the knuckles where toes begin

On another note I got measured by a podiatrist. My right foot is a 14 and my left is a 13. Which makes sense because my right foot was the one that felt uncomfortable in my solomons. I think I'm gonna get him to do me a pair of custom orthotics. They do them in house instead of sending to a lab. $150

Sounds like my foot. Narrow heel with wide forefoot. I measure out a 9.5 and 9. Wear 10 in most shoes. I would call Lathrop and Son's. Steven helped me out a lot by telling which boots might work and what I didn't have a chance with. I have the Lowa Tech Lites. Took a while to break in but are good. Kenetreks feel better out of the box than the Lowa so I'll probably pick up a pair when the Lowa's wear out. Salomon 4D's are my everyday boots. Kenan with Black Ovis told me the Crispi Idaho should work good but the Summits are more narrow and might not work. Haven't tried Crispi for size personally though.

Keep in mind that a proper fitting boot is going to grip your foot and not allow lateral movement, heel slip or forward movement. The stiffer the boot the more pronounced it will be. I struggled with this at first as I like looser fitting shoes. My Lowa's feel snug at times but I have never gotten any blisters or hot spots. You may know all of this already but it took me some time to grasp the concept.

I am currently running the Salomon 4d's and they sound like a pretty close fit to what you're looking for. Normal fit through the heel and instep and then they widen out in the toebox. I tried on Lowa's that all seemed too narrow for my foot. The Salomon's might be worth a try if you have any backpacking stores nearby. Good luck with your search!

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
The salomons are actually what I had last before I sold them. They were 13s. I thought that was what I wore till I actually went and got measured and found out my actual size. I may go back. I just ordered lowa tibets from REI (14). I'll see how these go. I wanted a little more ankle support than the solomons offered.

Side note something I never knew: a 13 wide is the same width as a 14 regular. And a 12 wide same as regular 13 etc.

Broomd

WKR
You guys are giving me hope...I wear a 13.5 4E, but since no one makes a 13.5, I need a 14.

I've yet to see a quality GTX boot wide enough for my foot. I wear Merrel moabs in less rough country and Carharts for the rocky stuff.
I'm tired of wearing sh*tty boots in rough country. Unfortunately the only boot I've ever found wide enough were the carharts. Does anyone know if the Crispi Idahos are available at a big box store to try on?

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas Meindl Denali boot has a generous toe box. I have a pair in size 14 and they don't cramp my toes even withh late season socks on. $320 and Cabelas lifetime guarantee. I would suggest a better insole.

Does anyone know if the Crispi Idahos are available at a big box store to try on?

I highly doubt that any retailers that might carry them would have a 14 wide in stock for you. I figured $15 in shipping them back is worth the gas and time of going to a store anyways to try them on, so I would just order them. Especially if they will honor the 30% off price when/if they get your size in stock.

Broomd

WKR
I highly doubt that any retailers that might carry them would have a 14 wide in stock for you. I figured $15 in shipping them back is worth the gas and time of going to a store anyways to try them on, so I would just order them. Especially if they will honor the 30% off price when/if they get your size in stock.
Reads like sound advice, thank you!