Rinella

Slade

FNG
Steven Rinella is probably my favorite TV personality right now, from his show, his books, his podcasts, etc. But some of the stuff he does kind of perplexes me. One video, he goes to the effort of packing in cast iron pot on a sheep hunt, and ends up cooking a quail in it. Despite the heavy pot, he uses a stick to stir his food. If bringing a pot that heavy isn't a big deal, why not bring a fork or something? There are other instances, where he just grabs something from nearby like a rusty piece of metal, or some wire he found on a fence, and uses it to cook. It's entertaining, but also somewhat bewildering at the same time.

It's a tv show. It's not real and it doesn't have to make sense as long as viewership and advertising sales are up

It's a tv show. It's not real and it doesn't have to make sense as long as viewership and advertising sales are up

Ya, I am not real sure i agree. Its obviously a part but i cannot remember EVER seeing an advertisement for gear during his actual show. I watch on VHX not cable so i do not know about the commercials, but besides Vortex and First Lite, the guy uses all kinds of stuff. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Outdoorsmans, different guns, the list goes on, and never actually highlights them. Podcast doesnt have an enormous sponsor list before or during the show either.

I met Steve at a book signing along time ago, seems like a pretty straight shooter, and if i could only pick one person that could represent hunting to the world it would be him.

Felix40

WKR
To be fair he was using an atv to get around on that sheep hunt. Its not like he packed it deep into the backcountry on his back. Seems like the stick did the job so....

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly there is going to be some editing to keep it interesting, but I think as far as hunting shows go, Rinella is about as legitimate as it gets. As far as the cast iron pan goes, Steve has stated on a number of occasions his disdain for the ultra-light mindset. If he feels like something brings some value to his hunt, he'll pack it (within reason). One major facet of the show is the cooking of wild game, so having some decent gear for that particular recipe doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Brendan

WKR
Let's remember he has a crew of people to support the show, and he makes cooking and preparation a part of it. My guess is they have a couple hired grunts to haul camera and production gear (including a cast iron pot if needed) to their base camps. When they're actually hunting - it's at least him and probably 2 other camera guys.

Daniel_M

WKR
Alaska is overrun with TV shows, I think we have 14 of them now...and every damn one of them makes me cringe. In the end..it's reality tv. Except Deadliest Catch, still my all time fav.

pwsINC

WKR
Wasnt the hunt in question an auodad hunt? Makes sense to have one on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If he is anything like most of us, he probably put the spatula and fork in a place he wouldn't forget them when he was packing, and couldn't find them when it was dinner time. No, just me? :)

Brendan

WKR
Alaska is overrun with TV shows, I think we have 14 of them now...and every damn one of them makes me cringe. In the end..it's reality tv. Except Deadliest Catch, still my all time fav.

To be honest - I think Meateater is the best damn show on TV, bar none. Far from the crappy reality TV and other hunting shows that you see elsewhere and much more "real". That's my opinion - but worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

WoodBow

WKR
If he is anything like most of us, he probably put the spatula and fork in a place he wouldn't forget them when he was packing, and couldn't find them when it was dinner time. No, just me? :)

Your'e not the only one. It is a real struggle for me and a bit of an on going joke in camp. I never seem to be able to find my eating utensil. I think I need to wear it on a lanyard around my neck.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
It's the only hunting show I watch aside from Western Hunter. Rest make me cringe.

Daniel_M

WKR
To be honest - I think Meateater is the best damn show on TV, bar none. Far from the crappy reality TV and other hunting shows that you see elsewhere and much more "real". That's my opinion - but worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

With kids running around, anything animated is about all I seem to have time for these days.

LostArra

WKR
Ya, I am not real sure i agree. Its obviously a part but i cannot remember EVER seeing an advertisement for gear during his actual show. I watch on VHX not cable so i do not know about the commercials, but besides Vortex and First Lite, the guy uses all kinds of stuff. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Outdoorsmans, different guns, the list goes on, and never actually highlights them. Podcast doesnt have an enormous sponsor list before or during the show either.

I met Steve at a book signing along time ago, seems like a pretty straight shooter, and if i could only pick one person that could represent hunting to the world it would be him.

Except for an occasional comment about Janis' t-shirt company I've never heard a single "commercial" or a sponsor mentioned on any his podcasts.
For a hunting/outdoors podcast Meateater really has no peers. I've never felt I needed to fast forward through inane chatter which can't be said for the others.

Love MeatEater despite the occassional quirks and speeches on morality...the guy ate monkey and turned his passion into a nice income! Deserve respect! But when he put bile on a piece of bison before eating it I wanted to slap him in his face. Such desecration deserveth thy biachslap. LOL

brewer427

WKR
Except for an occasional comment about Janis' t-shirt company I've never heard a single "commercial" or a sponsor mentioned on any his podcasts.
For a hunting/outdoors podcast Meateater really has no peers. I've never felt I needed to fast forward through inane chatter which can't be said for the others.
Meat eater had commercials in everyone of there earlier podcasts, just go back and listen. Draft kings, carnivore club investment companies and a buck meat tenderizer to name a few off the top of my head.

Jauwater

WKR
Steve is just a super interesting guy. Extremely intelligent. His show is definitely better then any other hunting show I frequent. I'd love to hang out with the guy hunting for a week. I feel the same about Ryan Callahan. I'll watch the episodes with Callahan like Seinfeld reruns. They just do a good job over there at MeatEater.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk