Rinella

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man....we used to watch those vids in high school..there's one where Phil squeezes a whole peanut out of a mallards mouth, then cracks it open and eats it. Eating the food your food ate is just another level!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know some folks that live in West Monroe, and the son who works at the academy still swears he sees Phil buying 16 gauge ammo each year for his beloved A5 despite their benelli deal

I'll pick a hunting show that hunts on public land, over a guided/ private land hunt any day. They are both great advocates for the sport.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know why Rinella lives in Seattle? I grew up there and it is a concrete jungle with horrible traffic. I see he makes up for it by squiding on the piers and wearing his first light to Starbucks, I have no idea how he survives living there.

Not sure, but it might be for his wife's job. I remember him talking about how his wife had worked her way up a corporate ladder. Even to the point she didn't take his last name when they got married because she had worked so hard to build a name for herself.

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know why Rinella lives in Seattle? I grew up there and it is a concrete jungle with horrible traffic. I see he makes up for it by squiding on the piers and wearing his first light to Starbucks, I have no idea how he survives living there.

He was living in New York prior to Seattle. So really Seattle could be seen as an improvement.

He was living in New York prior to Seattle. So really Seattle could be seen as an improvement.

Big city with a big airport half way between Alaska and western hunting options in the us as well as western Canada.

I would live there if my ole lady would let me.

Brendan

WKR

Yep. Seattle's got nothing on NYC in terms of a crowded concrete jungle. Better access to the outdoors when you compare it to most places in the east, and the traffic / congestion isn't any worse.

I live on the other side of the world and have just as much admiration for these blokes as anyone. I've been completely obsessed with Meat Eater ever since I first saw it, and have since bought heaps of Steve's books and listen to his podcast religiously. There are so many amazing people in the international hunting community at the moment - Ryan Callaghan, Tim Burnett, Remi Warren, Janis Putelis, Cameron Hanes, Randy Newberg, Shane Mahoney, etc. I have podcasts coming out of my ears and regularly drive long distances to hunt, so they keep me occupied.

We have some great people here in Australia representing our passion and I hope to help along the way when I can get myself organised.

pwsINC

WKR
I live on the other side of the world and have just as much admiration for these blokes as anyone. I've been completely obsessed with Meat Eater ever since I first saw it, and have since bought heaps of Steve's books and listen to his podcast religiously. There are so many amazing people in the international hunting community at the moment - Ryan Callaghan, Tim Burnett, Remi Warren, Janis Putelis, Cameron Hanes, Randy Newberg, Shane Mahoney, etc. I have podcasts coming out of my ears and regularly drive long distances to hunt, so they keep me occupied.

We have some great people here in Australia representing our passion and I hope to help along the way when I can get myself organised.
Drop a few names, im sure theres a handful of us that would be interested. Ive enjoyed reading Phillip Holden though id guess you are probably referring to a generation younger in comment. PM me some reading suggestions from your side of the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
S

Slade

FNG
I saw someone mention that when Steve talks in his shows, it sounds as if he is actually having a conversation with the listener. I agree with that completely. Also, when reading his books, does anyone else read those books with Steve's voice in their head?

ChrisS

WKR
I saw someone mention that when Steve talks in his shows, it sounds as if he is actually having a conversation with the listener. I agree with that completely. Also, when reading his books, does anyone else read those books with Steve's voice in their head?
Heck, after listening to a podcast, I read other authors' works with Steve's voice in my head for a few days afterward.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

I do

Gobbler36

WKR
Love MeatEater despite the occassional quirks and speeches on morality...the guy ate monkey and turned his passion into a nice income! Deserve respect! But when he put bile on a piece of bison before eating it I wanted to slap him in his face. Such desecration deserveth thy biachslap. LOL

Not sure I understand the morality part of this comment, I think this is what set him apart from all otherhunting shows and he discusses it with such finesse and doesn't try to sit on moral high ground.

He probably has one of the best hunting/cooking shows. It puts hunting in a positive light and really shows what hunting should be about.

Instead of spending x amount to to go an exclusive area and getting a trophy that is x large, He shows us things that anyone can do and get the benefits from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
S

Slade

FNG
He probably has one of the best hunting/cooking shows. It puts hunting in a positive light and really shows what hunting should be about.

Instead of spending x amount to to go an exclusive area and getting a trophy that is x large, He shows us things that anyone can do and get the benefits from.

I agree completely. So many of those other hunting shows highlight the killing, where Meateater displays hunting to be so much more. One of the shows I hate that I think gives hunting a bad reputation is Relentless Pursuit.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I listen/ watch/ read just about everything he puts out. He, along with other's like Randy, are the type of voices our community needs out there. The guys is an excellent writer and orator and has been able to turn his passion for the outdoors into a career that most of us would love to have. I also like the fact that he isn't pushing sponsors all of the time. I come here to find out what brand of backcountry underwear i need to buy:D

Agreed. My family and I watch Meat Eater on a regular basis, even repeat episodes we've seen a half dozen times. Like others have mentioned, not only is his personality great, but his show is a breath of fresh air compared to the other "plug my sponsors every chance I get" other shows on the market. Most of the time, other than his optics, if Im wondering what a certain piece of equipment he uses is, I have to google it and do a bunch of research to figure it out.

One of my favorite parts about the show is when he tries to prepare the meat/game like the natives used to...when he cooks javelina by boiling the meat in the stomach of the animal, eating buffalo meat with bile dripped on the meat, eating cous deer and javelina the traditional way the Mexicans where he was hunting cook it.

Funny story - It's our 10 year old daughter's favorite show, and because of the show, she wants to do/eat everything Steven does. Last fall, my wife shot a deer and while we were gutting it, our daughter asked if we could save the heart and eat it (she had recently seen an episode where he talked about eating heart) so we cooked it up and ate it and she even took the leftovers to school the next day. Fast forward a month or so (we had watched a few more episodes by then) and I shot a deer one night when our daughter wasnt home and I skinned it that night and got rid of the carcass. When I told our daughter that I had shot a deer the night before, her first question was whether or not I had saved the tongue to eat.. I thought back and in an episode we had recently seen, Steven was eating tongue and talking about how underrated it was. (And trust me, she wasn't happy that I hadnt saved it!)

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I lile Steves show. I also liked the guy from Western Hunter and both of the Solo Hunter guys. All four of those shows are pretty dang good.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk