Poll: Should horses be allowed

SHOULD HORSES BE ALLOWED ON PUBLIC GROUND

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon Boy

WKR
I like/dislike mtn bike users and horses equally. I use both, and also get annoyed by both when over use occurs.
I used to work on an fs trail crew. My saw partner and I used horses one day all season, and that was to plow an old trail. Other than that we just hiked and covered ground much more efficiently. Also, the motorcycle club volunteered much more time over the summer to cut out trails in the front country than the back door horsemen association ever did in the backcountry.
Not saying horses should ever be banned, but we also don't owe everything to horse and and horsemen.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Every mountain bike forum hates hunters and horses, every horse forum hates bikers and hunters. So on, so forth.

No group has any other "privileges" over the other.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to look like a big ol dork on the back of a horse... on a bicycle, good luck with that. For that reason alone, Horses > Bicycles.

If you're in a live or die scenario, are you gonna eat that bicycle? Can you talk to your bicycle? Does is understand you? Does your bicycle smell like freedom?

Billinsd

WKR
Every mountain bike forum hates hunters and horses, every horse forum hates bikers and hunters. So on, so forth.

No group has any other "privileges" over the other.
people are real selfish and self centered. I'm in favor of getting more people out there, even if they are annoying to me.

Billinsd

WKR
It's hard to look like a big ol dork on the back of a horse... on a bicycle, good luck with that. For that reason alone, Horses > Bicycles.

If you're in a live or die scenario, are you gonna eat that bicycle? Can you talk to your bicycle? Does is understand you? Does your bicycle smell like freedom?
Can't make love to your bike either, lol.

Billinsd

WKR
I like how many of you complain about horses, bikers and hikers and trails yet how many of you do any trail maintenance? It's like complaining about a president and how he does business but you didn't run for office. Outfitters pay to be out there with there horses just like you guys pay for your habitat stamp and licenses. I think maybe some of you should get off your soap box and just be grateful we have public land to hunt, fish, and camp on.
Outfitters pay a hell of a lot of fees.

aggieland

WKR
If you have never rode a horse/mule into new country. Your missing out on life IMO. We did the pack in on foot for a long time and after being offered a ride into some N.M. Backcountry a few years back, I told myself I won't be coming back without my own stock. It was the most fun I had ever had in the back country. I understand that hardcore pack in folks get upset busting their balls to hike into an area where someone can ride into, but the amount of care, work and transport of stock is a lot of work as well. So yes I believe the land should be open to them.

16Bore

WKR

How many horses have you eaten for survival? Or did you just watch Empire Steikes Back?

If we're going to ban horses, we may as well ban elk and deer too..... Like guns, the tool is rarely the issue, the operator behind it might have his head up his rear end but the tool can't be blamed.

All that to say, isn't this like arguing seatbelt laws? Love em or hate em they're here to stay so it seems like the point is moot?

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that hardcore pack in folks get upset busting their balls to hike into an area where someone can ride into, but the amount of care, work and transport of stock is a lot of work as well. So yes I believe the land should be open to them.

^This. Having stock capable of mountain packing is a year-round commitment. It's not like an ATV or even a mountain bike where you can park it for 11 months of the year and take it up a mountain with any success. Horses eat all year, need to be trimmed and shod regularly, and need practice and exercise to be in shape for hunting. Owning and hunting with stock is a big time and money commitment, albeit a worthwhile one. I'll make a concession with regard to people who rent stock from outfitters, but that is perhaps a different thread altogether. Most folks who run stock are owners of said stock, in my experience, and are generally fairly considerate of other hunters.

Many elk hunters will support horses in the backcountry for meat packing and carrying drop camps. Sheep, cattle and other domestics can be a problem though.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Never for survival... but I've been to Mexico a time or two and I'm certain I've had a horse taco or 3.

Gobbler36

WKR
people are real selfish and self centered. I'm in favor of getting more people out there, even if they are annoying to me.

As the industry has shoved this sentiment down our throats to create more buying customers I personally think it's a big pile of horse manure, but that's here nor there. As far as horses go I'm torn it'd be nice to have actual wilderness where if you paid the price of hiking 10 miles to a spot you were alone and not surrounded by wall tents but I also understand the beauty of our public lands is that they are managed for multiple use

Billinsd

WKR
As the industry has shoved this sentiment down our throats to create more buying customers I personally think it's a big pile of horse manure, but that's here nor there. As far as horses go I'm torn it'd be nice to have actual wilderness where if you paid the price of hiking 10 miles to a spot you were alone and not surrounded by wall tents but I also understand the beauty of our public lands is that they are managed for multiple use
I don't think any industries are saying that people, especially younger Americans are selfish and self centered. I'm saying it. Getting people out there? Yes, industires are encouraging that mostly to sell their product. Is that bad? I'm in favor of that too, so hopefully there will be more new hunters, gun owners. I hope their will be more hikers, bikers, fishermen, horsemen getting out there. Why? Because this land is my land this land is your land...

Billinsd

WKR
Some of you folks sound like Sierra clubbers that like to hunt. Don't get me wrong, I get annoyed by people, and that's why I drive further, hike farther, etc.to try and get away.

Billinsd

WKR
^This. Having stock capable of mountain packing is a year-round commitment. It's not like an ATV or even a mountain bike where you can park it for 11 months of the year and take it up a mountain with any success. Horses eat all year, need to be trimmed and shod regularly, and need practice and exercise to be in shape for hunting. Owning and hunting with stock is a big time and money commitment, albeit a worthwhile one. I'll make a concession with regard to people who rent stock from outfitters, but that is perhaps a different thread altogether. Most folks who run stock are owners of said stock, in my experience, and are generally fairly considerate of other hunters.
Amen, and can't you purposely hike into places that horses cannot go.

4rcgoat

WKR
This! I've abandoned two good elk units because they are full of cattle. What's more, cattle absolutely thrash streams that native trout would otherwise thrive in. Let's talk about how to get rid of cows on public land.

Horse wranglers are funny with their jeans and ten gallon hats in the wilderness, but horses are a historical use of the land. Also, horses can't follow me into most of my honey holes - too rugged.

Couldn't agree more!! I think horses are amazing animals and dont mind seeing them in the wilderness, but those damn cattle ruin every square inch of land they step on. Keep the horses get rid of cattle is my vote.