DNA testing

When my dad had his done, it came back with a very small percentage, something like 0.7% (I can't remember for sure), Neanderthal. It does kind of makes sense, as he is a bit of a knuckle dragger, and pretty damn hairy to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
I used Ancestry.com to trace my dad's side of the family. I followed my surname lineage (my dad, his dad, his dad's dad, and so on...), that I thought was 100% English and found out that they married two different Irish immigrants back in the 1700s. I took the DNA test for that and sure enough I'm 5% Irish!! My wife gave me a good ribbing about that!! It really gave new meaning to St. Patrick's Day to me. I'd never celebrated it before, lol. I had also been told I was part Indian back in the early 1800's and nope. My dad was bullied as a kid, because he looked Jewish. Nope, no Jewish blood. Another thing was my dad's mom's side came from Germany and it appears that one side was Scandinavian. I could tell because my mom was 100% Scandinavian and I am 70% Scandinavian. So instead of being 25% German, 25% English, and 50% Scandinavian. I'm 70% Scandinavian, 15% English, 5% Irish, 7% German, and 3% some other trace amounts Italian, Spanish, etc.

I'd like to search my German side and see where the Scandinavian came from? Could be neighboring Denmark? I also learned that my ancestors first arrived in the US in the late 1600s/early 1700s. I checked the list of the Mayflower and nope, they came about 50 years or so later, lol. I did find a branch in North Carolina in the late 1700s. I never thought I had Southern Relatives. My Great Great Granddad was a Civil War Veteran and served in the Union Army. His brothers served too, and one was killed around Mississippi/Louisiana. It would be neat to find a Southern Ancestor that served in the Confederate Army....

Nothing real exciting, but pretty interesting.....
Bill

Last edited:
OP
M
I understand your apprehension, but that is why I would only recommend 23andMe for something like this that is open to the general public for use. 23andMe is a CAP/CLIA certified lab where your identifying information is concealed and you essential become a unique random key number and your identifying information is protected by federal law. Ancestry does not list themselves as a CAP/CLIA accredited lab, so I am wary of what they have to offer. CAP/CLIA certified labs have to go through very extensive certification processes that guarantee HIPPA compliance and data integrity, so their butt is on the line if they make a mistake. By becoming a 23andMe customer, you are also adding your genetic information to a growing database of genomic markers that researchers like me can use to query for associations of genotypic markers to many different kinds of diseases. This is very important for genetic research because unlike genetically identical mice, we cannot control human behavior. As a result, we can't just take a handful of people, look at their DNA, and then definitively say that a mutation in gene X or geneY or geneZ will cause cancer or heart disease. Instead, we need orders of magnitude greater sample sizes in order to be able to make any kind of statement regarding associations to complex diseases. Sometimes we get lucky or things are pretty simple in the case of mendelian diseases, but for complex diseases such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, IBD, etc, we need all the help we can get.

Just to make clear, I do not work for 23andMe. I work for a CAP/CLIA accredited lab at major research university and have used the very same technology that 23andMe uses on a day to day basis for research and clinical applications. In fact, I have personally analyzed the DNA or RNA for nearly 100,000 patients (if not more....I honestly don't even track it anymore), and even with all that data, it still is not enough for cracking something like cancer. We have a hard enough time just trying to crack the genetic profile of a single tumor let alone multiple tumors of metastatic cancer from the same person. But now that genomic data is becoming more ubiquitous, we can now start digging deeper, make more discoveries, and hopefully come up with new targets and treatments. So if something like this remotely interests you, please go with 23andMe.
very interesting profession you have. have two questions 1. if I had two tests done one each with different companies would I expect identical or close results. 2 do all these companies share the same data base of results to compare to or does each company need to have its own baseline for comparisons ???

Dameon

WKR
very interesting profession you have. have two questions 1. if I had two tests done one each with different companies would I expect identical or close results. 2 do all these companies share the same data base of results to compare to or does each company need to have its own baseline for comparisons ???

The database of ancestral alleles that these two companies use is proprietary, so they do not share that information with each other. 23andMe would share it with me if I was using their data for research, but that would involve a lot of paperwork and I would be forbidden from sharing that information. Ideally, the results you get from either company should be very similar, but I would not anticipate them being identical as one database may be more complete or more focused than the other.

They had something about those tests on TV about 3 weeks ago. Three identical twin girls all submitted their DNA sample to the same lab, and the results were different for each one. How could their ancestors be that different with three identical twin girls??? Their parents and relatives should have shown the same in each of their results.

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
I understand your apprehension, but that is why I would only recommend 23andMe for something like this that is open to the general public for use. 23andMe is a CAP/CLIA certified lab where your identifying information is concealed and you essential become a unique random key number and your identifying information is protected by federal law. Ancestry does not list themselves as a CAP/CLIA accredited lab, so I am wary of what they have to offer. CAP/CLIA certified labs have to go through very extensive certification processes that guarantee HIPPA compliance and data integrity, so their butt is on the line if they make a mistake. By becoming a 23andMe customer, you are also adding your genetic information to a growing database of genomic markers that researchers like me can use to query for associations of genotypic markers to many different kinds of diseases. This is very important for genetic research because unlike genetically identical mice, we cannot control human behavior. As a result, we can't just take a handful of people, look at their DNA, and then definitively say that a mutation in gene X or geneY or geneZ will cause cancer or heart disease. Instead, we need orders of magnitude greater sample sizes in order to be able to make any kind of statement regarding associations to complex diseases. Sometimes we get lucky or things are pretty simple in the case of mendelian diseases, but for complex diseases such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, IBD, etc, we need all the help we can get.

Just to make clear, I do not work for 23andMe. I work for a CAP/CLIA accredited lab at major research university and have used the very same technology that 23andMe uses on a day to day basis for research and clinical applications. In fact, I have personally analyzed the DNA or RNA for nearly 100,000 patients (if not more....I honestly don't even track it anymore), and even with all that data, it still is not enough for cracking something like cancer. We have a hard enough time just trying to crack the genetic profile of a single tumor let alone multiple tumors of metastatic cancer from the same person. But now that genomic data is becoming more ubiquitous, we can now start digging deeper, make more discoveries, and hopefully come up with new targets and treatments. So if something like this remotely interests you, please go with 23andMe.

The ancestral aspect of this has never interested me however, the genetic predispositions that can be identified with these DNA tests have really caught my attention. I was thinking about getting a kit from 23andme and using the Promethease service. I listened to a podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick where she mentioned it for medical applications. Do you have any suggestions on how to find out more about genetic traits that can be identified using this DNA testing? Whether it be specific blood/DNA tests or services like Promethease.

Dameon

WKR
Not all labs are created equal and some labs are very poorly regulated. I would need information regarding the lab and the assay used before I can say anything definitive.

They had something about those tests on TV about 3 weeks ago. Three identical twin girls all submitted their DNA sample to the same lab, and the results were different for each one. How could their ancestors be that different with three identical twin girls??? Their parents and relatives should have shown the same in each of their results.

Dameon

WKR
Promethease does something similar to what I do, but I would be very careful in interpreting the results. Disease risk can be broken down into two major components, genetic and environmental. Some diseases are all genetic, such as Huntington's Disease. Others are mostly environmental, such as heart disease. Some like Alzheimer's are still largely unknown because we can find plenty of people with genetic risk markers but do not develop Alzheimers and others that do not have genetic risk but develop Alzheimers. Just because you have the genetic risk of developing a disease doesn't mean you will unless you have the environmental component for that risk in most cases. If you do proceed with a service such as Promethease, you will need to do your due diligence or meet with a genetic counselor to make the best use of your results.

The ancestral aspect of this has never interested me however, the genetic predispositions that can be identified with these DNA tests have really caught my attention. I was thinking about getting a kit from 23andme and using the Promethease service. I listened to a podcast with Dr. Rhonda Patrick where she mentioned it for medical applications. Do you have any suggestions on how to find out more about genetic traits that can be identified using this DNA testing? Whether it be specific blood/DNA tests or services like Promethease.

Met a guy recently that had wanted one done and it totally back fired on him. He now has a new monthly payment for awhile.

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
Promethease does something similar to what I do, but I would be very careful in interpreting the results. Disease risk can be broken down into two major components, genetic and environmental. Some diseases are all genetic, such as Huntington's Disease. Others are mostly environmental, such as heart disease. Some like Alzheimer's are still largely unknown because we can find plenty of people with genetic risk markers but do not develop Alzheimers and others that do not have genetic risk but develop Alzheimers. Just because you have the genetic risk of developing a disease doesn't mean you will unless you have the environmental component for that risk in most cases. If you do proceed with a service such as Promethease, you will need to do your due diligence or meet with a genetic counselor to make the best use of your results.

Appreciate the response. I am no medical professional but I have done my best to get a basic understanding on some of this stuff. I will more than likely proceed with Promethease but mostly just for curiousity sake and because I enjoy learning about this topic. Even though I still know very little. I do believe there is potential benefit that might be realized with these kinds of testing but I will do my due diligence before attempting to interpret anything. The environmental aspect definitely makes sense as things as basic as sleep, diet, stress and exercise are so closely linked to disease and it would make sense that without those environmental triggers the risk of developing a disease may be inconsequential. If you have any suggestions on reading material, podcasts, or other interesting things related to this subject I'd love to hear them. I may not understand any of it haha but i do enjoy trying to understand more. I will most likely try and find a genetic counselor for my results but I like to try and be as informed as possible anyways.

Billinsd

WKR
I understand your apprehension, but that is why I would only recommend 23andMe for something like this that is open to the general public for use. 23andMe is a CAP/CLIA certified lab where your identifying information is concealed and you essential become a unique random key number and your identifying information is protected by federal law. Ancestry does not list themselves as a CAP/CLIA accredited lab, so I am wary of what they have to offer. CAP/CLIA certified labs have to go through very extensive certification processes that guarantee HIPPA compliance and data integrity, so their butt So if something like this remotely interests you, please go with 23andMe.
So, you are saying that the Ancestry.com DNA testing is not listed as a CAP/CLIA accredited lab? Neither 23andMe or Ancestry will determine and/or inform their clients if they find some type of disease or health risk or problem with their DNA, right? You are saying that CAP/CLIA test lab results are used by people like yourself for study? What are your thoughts on DNA tests to determine health risks, etc.?
Thanks! Bill

I always ask my wife if she has any German Dutch in her....

Then before she can cuss me out I ask her if she wants some in her...

I laugh every single time and she doesn't...which makes it even funnier.

Dameon

WKR
So, you are saying that the Ancestry.com DNA testing is not listed as a CAP/CLIA accredited lab? Neither 23andMe or Ancestry will determine and/or inform their clients if they find some type of disease or health risk or problem with their DNA, right? You are saying that CAP/CLIA test lab results are used by people like yourself for study? What are your thoughts on DNA tests to determine health risks, etc.?
Thanks! Bill

As far as I know, Ancestry.com does not operate a CAP/CLIA accredited lab facility. As a result, the FDA forbids them from making any kind of report regarding genetic risk or disease status. 23andMe is CAP/CLIA accredited and will be offering a limited number of disease tests that they just received approval for this month. So if you are interested in affordable clinical genetic testing, 23andMe is what I would recommend as they just underwent the same process my lab goes through for clinical genetic testing and clinical research (separate from academic research which my lab also does). I generally don't have a problem with any kind of genetic testing as long as it involves informed consent and the results are clear and accurate. I wouldn't want someone freaking out because they have an elevated risk of a given disease, but if they understand that most diseases have huge environmental components and they chose to live a healthier lifestyle.....I have no problem with that either. Communication is just as important as the results itself in my opinion.

I always ask my wife if she has any German Dutch in her....

Then before she can cuss me out I ask her if she wants some in her...

I laugh every single time and she doesn't...which makes it even funnier.

That's one joke that never gets old as far as I'm concerned.

OP
M
Dameon, thanks for all the help.Went with 23 me full boat dna/medical mostly for snitz and grins, but will see if was predisposed to the prostate cancer , defeated in 2007 and a few other issues