What's some gear you shouldn't need to get the top of the line?

kicker338

WKR
Just about everything in the high end stuff is not needed but that is the mind set of people today, if it's not the latest greatest most expencive name brand stuff, it's not any good. Along with that is the assumption that the best gear will make me the best hunter.

There is a guy I bump into every yr. in the woods and usually has all the top end stuff, was talking to him one time about this and he laughed and said the high end never helped him kill anything that he couldn't have did without it. Said money was no object so he bought the stuff just because he could. Can't argue with that.

twall13

WKR
I'll leave brands out of it but i have two pairs of binos. One cost $150 and the other cost $3000. Same magnification. Spend your money else where IMO.

If a $150 pair of binos compares favorably with a $3000 pair of binos for you than you are using them very differently than I do. Don't get my wrong, my old Nikon Monarchs got the job done for years, but the upgrade to Maven B2's was totally worth the price for me. If all you do with your binos is occasionally glance around freehand than I absolutely agree with you. If you put them on a tripod and spend hours at a time behind them glassing an area, the extra money becomes worth it, IMO.

KurtR

WKR
shot gun shells i kill lots of ducks with the cheap 2 3/4" blue box 2 shot federals. Alot of the stuff you could say is not needed but it makes it more enjoyable unless going out and having a suffer fest is your thing. If thats the case you could go to the recruiters office and get to do that for free on uncle sams dime.

ljalberta

WKR
I've saved a lot of money on clothing vis-a-vis Costco. Down jackets and vests, 100% merino long-sleeves, merino socks, and stretchy nylon pants for a fraction of the costs of premium hunting brands. They're certainly not at the quality level of your First Lite/Sitka/Kuiu, but I've been so happy with their performance I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. I personally choose to instead direct those saving over towards a pack (Kifaru - and worth every penny in my books) or optics, which for me, I find the premium price often worth the gains. I'm also giving the MountainSmith LT shelter a shot this year, which was one third of the price of a comparable Supertarp. I can't comment on performance of either of those yet though.

204guy

WKR
I can agree with the optics thought to a point. The higher mid tier stuff is getting pretty close to alpha. The bottom end stuff no way, I've gotten head aches so bad from my old 10x42 monarchs that I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

I would definitely agree with the camo clothing lines are somewhere you could better direct your fund, for backcountry hunting anyways. It's not difficult to find non camo stuff that meets or exceed the performance for less money. Particularly in rain gear, puffy gear and base layers. Who needs camo puffies and undies?

If a $150 pair of binos compares favorably with a $3000 pair of binos for you than you are using them very differently than I do. Don't get my wrong, my old Nikon Monarchs got the job done for years, but the upgrade to Maven B2's was totally worth the price for me. If all you do with your binos is occasionally glance around freehand than I absolutely agree with you. If you put them on a tripod and spend hours at a time behind them glassing an area, the extra money becomes worth it, IMO.

OR I have the worlds best $150 pair of binos.
OR the worlds worst $3k pair.

twall13

WKR
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that fits this category for me is gloves. I've tried many different brands and styles including some fairly pricey ones. I keep coming back to a merino liner (even though I wear them out every year) and a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves I can get for like $8 almost anywhere. For the rare occasion I might need more warmth I've been thinking of sewing up a down hand muff that I can strap around my waist like the one I use when duck hunting (though that one is too heavy for the backcountry). That system keeps my hands warm but I still have enough dexterity to actually use my hands without taking gloves off. I still have a few pairs of gloves I'd like to buy and try out but everything to this point has brought me back to the cheap rag wool and a liner.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that fits this category for me is gloves. I've tried many different brands and styles including some fairly pricey ones. I keep coming back to a merino liner (even though I wear them out every year) and a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves I can get for like $8 almost anywhere. For the rare occasion I might need more warmth I've been thinking of sewing up a down hand muff that I can strap around my waist like the one I use when duck hunting (though that one is too heavy for the backcountry). That system keeps my hands warm but I still have enough dexterity to actually use my hands without taking gloves off. I still have a few pairs of gloves I'd like to buy and try out but everything to this point has brought me back to the cheap rag wool and a liner.

I agree with this 100%

My wife got me some Sitka gloves with Windstopper which are great gloves don't get me wrong. But I always find myself going back to my $10 pair of fingerless wool gloves from wallymart. Easier to shoot with them!

16Bore

WKR
All of it. You don't need the top of the line gear.

This.

Somehow hunting is a lot harder now than it was 30 years ago. A fella could sell all his shit and start over at Walmart and be none the worse.

"But we'd'a never gotten that there ol buck if it hadn't been for the new ditty bop wiz bang magnum and this new camo pattern"

Most dudes were born with all they needed for hunting in their crotch, but are afraid to use them....

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
This one is tougher for me to comment on. In some cases I totally agree and in others I do not at all. It all depends on if you put your tools to the hardest test or not. I get by with cheap optics hunting deer in Mn but if I look too long with cheaper optics my eyes get strained and tired. If I was looking for game from one mountain top to the next and looking through glass all day to see the rings on a ram I would get the best glass I can afford. Boots and Shoes is another area that i will spend what I can because sore feet can end a hunt for you in a hurry. Knives, bows, clothing to a point - yeah, you can save money Unless again you are hunting in extreme conditions than I want the best I can afford. Staying comfortable can keep you in the field longer than heading back to the tent or camp to warm up. I guess in the end the pay once cry one rule has served me better and has cost me less in the long run over most bargains.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Costco merino long sleeve shirts and socks. I prefer the Costco socks over more expensive ones i've tried - smart wool and darn tough....

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I'm going to have to check out Costco sometime, I don't think they have merino stuff in ND.

cnelk

WKR
Kelty Cache Hauler for packing meat.
No need to spend hundreds of $$$ on a pack when these things can be had for ~$100.
They are rugged and tough. No frills. Just a tool.
Comfortable enough.
Load em up and start walking.

I liked mine so much I bought another

strand

Lil-Rokslider
A few cheaper pieces I still carry, even though I own more expensive stuff is OR gaiters, cheap wal-mart dry bags, walls lamont leather gloves, fleece balaclava and other fleece mid layer and outer layer tops, prana zion pants for certain hunts, and I buy almost all of my gear second-hand or on sale. As long as you don't mind carrying a little extra weight, you can go cheaper on a lot of items and get similar performance. That being said, it's pretty rare that I'm disappointed when I spend more money on a better piece of gear. Tents, boots, optics, backpack, knives, sleeping bag and pad, clothing, pretty much everything. I have used cheaper stuff and almost every time I've spent money to upgrade, I'm usually happy I did because the weight in my pack goes down and my comfort level tends to go up. My 3 season tent is a good example... I used the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 for most of my backpacking the last 7-8 years. It's a solid tent and it has never let me down. I just paid about 5x what I spent on that tent to save about 2 lbs in my backpack and get a little more storm worthy tent. The Kelty was doing the job just fine, but I'm at a point where I can spend a little money on gear and still cover the mortgage, so I do.

shot gun shells i kill lots of ducks with the cheap 2 3/4" blue box 2 shot federals. Alot of the stuff you could say is not needed but it makes it more enjoyable unless going out and having a suffer

I agree here aswell. All these new high dollar shells. I was shocked last season....some are like $40 for a box of shells! I shoot whatever is cheapest...because all steel shot sucks! And I refuse to pay the money for the boutique crap. Same goes for turkey shells.

As far as optics go....optics are like computers now. They get cheaper and better each year. A $500 pair of Binos now are pretty darn sweet compared to years gone by. Also, one you get past a certain price point....say 1k.....the gains are really minimal. Kinda like light weight gear....really great to a point, then you start paying $100 an oz to loose the rest. Not worth it in my eyes, but......to each their own.

To me, high-end boots and packs are worth every penny. Optics to an extent, depending on the terrain you hunt and how you use them.

I'm really liking my base layers and down vest from Costco, all of which I got for super cheap.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Stabilizer and Trekking poles would be my top two that you can shop used or find a value brand.