Any other uses for Dry Sacks?

BKhunter

WKR
There is a good sale going on right now on Outdoor research on their UL dry sacks, so I picked a few up. Does anyone use them for anything else other then keeping gear dry and organizing items? Just curious as I like to have multi function items.

Not really "another use" but everything goes in dry sacks before going into my pack. When I do finally set up camp somewhere, every morning I leave my sleeping bag goes into one in the event my tent collapses in a storm or a bear gets in, my sleeping bag might have a fighters chance of not being torn to pieces. All my food goes in another and gets hung by the handy little "roll top" clips high up in the air.

I also store alot of gadgets in them during the off season

I keep one in my truck with first aid stuff 24/7/365 with dry socks, some snacks, emergency blanket, FA supplies and fire making stuff, etc... ( I often work and travel remotely, sometimes in harsh winter conditions)

Like duct tape once you have a bunch there's a million different uses.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
There is a good sale going on right now on Outdoor research on their UL dry sacks, so I picked a few up. Does anyone use them for anything else other then keeping gear dry and organizing items? Just curious as I like to have multi function items.
Just out of curiosity - where are you seeing the sale prices? I'm checking their site here, but don't see anything other than retail prices. Thanks!

oldgoat

WKR
We hung our food in one last year, it is just a sack, only so much you can do with that. Thought about using one to wash clothes in on the mountain but haven't done it yet.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Just out of curiosity - where are you seeing the sale prices? I'm checking their site here, but don't see anything other than retail prices. Thanks!

They had them up this morning....I just went to repost the link for you and its not there anymore. Not sure if it was a glitch, but I got 2 55L, 1 35L and 1 15L each one for only $8.25

They would adjust price when I went to go check out so I called and they said they were having problems with their site and entered to order for me. If you call you may be able to get lucky and get them for that price.

Dameon

WKR
I use dry sacks to shove my clothes in and use as a pillow or seat cushion around camp. I also put all my food, trash, and dirty clothes in a dry sack and hang it from a tree. I haven't thought about using one as a game/meat bag, but now that you mention it, I have a large one that would be perfect for the job.

tttoadman

WKR
For just a light drizzle, I have pulled a 10L bag over the top of my pack to shelter the top from collecting rain. A little quieter than a pack cover, and was good enough. You have to have the heavy duty ones with the strap on the bottom.

Andy

FNG
Shooting rests!

Of course you can use your whole backpack as a shooting rest but I often pull one or two dry bags out filled with clothing or other gear and use them as front or rear shooting rests. Two years ago I used one in the front and one in the rear on top of a large flat rock to kill a nice bull elk in CO.

They work good for cooling down meat in creeks. Just make sure to put a few rocks on top of them...
Plus I think it also helps to reduce scent etc if you are in bear country.
Then you can put them right in your pack and not get pack/clothing bloody.
Feels good walking out with 45 degree meat cooling down pack on warm days

I have use the large ones for meat bags when I didn't have a contractors trash bag with me. Smaller one doubles as a pillow sometimes. Rain cover on my pack once before I had an actual rain cover. Just about anything you can think of.

boom

WKR
pillow?
meat sack?
something to keep your wet clothing in?
a water bladder to keep a reservoir at camp?
stuff sack for sleeping bag?

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
My thoughts on dry sacks are you get what you pay for. Pay a little more and go with these: Sea to Summit eVent Dry Bags

I did a quick video on the uses for these, here, but basically anything you want to keep dry, especially if you're putting things outside your pack. A pillow, food hanging bag, and general camp storage are also good uses....

Scrappy

WKR
Here you go guys, if this isn't appropriate mods please delete.
Outdoor Research and LeoAdventures have partnered to bring you a great way to brag about the deals you get, by letting your friends get 40% off too! We hope you will use this as an opportunity to help the volunteer police officers, firefighters, and non-active reservists you know who do not typically qualify, but also as a way to give back to everyone who has helped you throughout the difficult jobs you do.

Remeber, these promotions are the one time you can hand out the code, post it on your favorite forums, and give all your friends a taste of the awesome deals you get.
THE CODE: 2017Friends
STEP 1: Create OR Account
STEP 2: Add Amazing Gear to Cart
STEP 3: Enter Code 2017Friends

Some Quick Notes:

This Code is only valid from the 18th until the 24th of April 2017.

This code only allows one use per customer.