Kids adventure/outdoor books

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with Ridge Runner the Jim Kjelgaard books are really really good. Irish Red is the one I can remember well. I'm about to look em all up and re read em. They are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Cool topic. Ken Thomasma has some excellent books with young Indian protagonists. Naya Nuki was his first and is a classic. I'd also recommend the Little House on the Prairie series. I enjoyed The Great Brain series by JD Fitzgerald. These aren't stories about hunting and fishing but center around a young boys life growing up in Utah in the late 19th century. Last, we always enjoyed reading Paddle to the Sea by HC Holling.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I have been trying hard to remember the name of My Side of the Mountain, I used to love that book! Along with all the other recommendations, I have been reading a book series called Growly to my kids. My son loves it at 6, my daughter likes the idea but at 4 has a hard time sitting long enough for chapter books. The Growly Books - Adventure is waiting ...

boom

WKR
no brainer.

just start him on jim kjelgaard books. i remember the first book i read. "mouse with a motorcycle"..i was hooked (with reading) and jumped immediately to the outdoor books. it was Big Red. i think it is what got me into hunting!! i have zero family members that hunted before me. i luckily dragged my brother with me. he didnt read but followed me into the woods with guns.

FreeRange

WKR
A lot of great recommendations so far. A book I recommend to so many people young and old is the book Dove by Robin Lee Graham. Probably one of the greatest adventure/coming of age books ever written, by a young kid who sails around the world alone in a small boat. I believe it's plenty age appropriate for a boy the age of yours, there's some mention of drinking briefly and there's a bit of a romance aspect to the book, but he deliberately made the book pretty PG in all respects.

Reading this book was a major formative experience for me as a young kid and a lot of men I've given it to have felt the same way. It set me on a path to my first career working at sea and ironically the first foreign port of call ever made was the same as the author of this book in Suva, Fiji.

The book speaks to that desire in all of us to not just pursue but follow through on what we feel called to, even if society deems it a wild and hapless pursuit. In today's world I think a lot of boys need to be exposed to this message more than ever. It's a quick read, read it yourself and see if you think it's a good one for your son. I guarantee you'll both thoroughly enjoy it.

Another vote for The Hatchet and also the sequels especially Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen; He also wrote a 4 or 5 book series called Tucket's Travels that is great, Will Hobbs has several good books including Far North

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to everyone, I picked up The Other Side of The Mountain with my son today at the library. He picked out 3 other books and said he will read those then The Other Side of The Mountain. Here is the list of all the books, sorry if I missed one.

Balto
Big Red
Call of the Wild
Dove
Far North
Frightful's Mountain
Hatchet
Home is the North
Huckleberry Finn
Irish Red
jack the trapper
My Side of the Mountain