Rep. Jason Chaffetz announces he will not run for any office in 2018

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
He also said there are far more important issues. I would disagree

To me. You may feel different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect the fact that public lands takes priority number 1 for you. We definitely need people who are willing to fight for them if we want to keep them. It will be a fight and I intend to do what little I can to help. They are an invaluable resource that cannot be put back in place once they are gone. So yes, I do believe public lands are important.

With that said, it does not take priority over some of the bigger issues the country is faced with right now, for me. There is very little oversight in government so it was nice seeing guys like Gowdy and Chaffetz take aim at people who have obviously abused power or tax payer dollars and attempt to hold them accountable.

I honestly had not done my research into the bills he's proposed in recent years but after taking a quick glance I can see a few reasons why people around here hold such a grudge against him. He obviously was not a friend to public lands, but he liked to think of himself as a sportsman. Which is a good thing, as it appeared to give the hunting community a little bit of leverage in fighting bills like HR 621.

I guess my concern would be who comes after Chaffetz and where his priorities lie.

Fingers crossed.

Tips, I like your contribution around here, just to be clear. Are you really saying your #1 is public lands? In all the governments dealings?

I realize now that my comment came off as generalizing, and shouldn't have, my apologies PresTex.

For issues I feel are currently under attack, probably, but definitely up there if not exactly #1. That doesn't mean that cannot change 4-8 years from now. The word several is what caused me respond, to me currently it's the most vulnerable in my opinion.

I obviously hold people not being slaves in higher regard, but I also don't believe we are going to repeal the 13th amendment so i feel public land defense is currently more important. hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
I respect the fact that public lands takes priority number 1 for you. We definitely need people who are willing to fight for them if we want to keep them. It will be a fight and I intend to do what little I can to help. They are an invaluable resource that cannot be put back in place once they are gone. So yes, I do believe public lands are important.

With that said, it does not take priority over some of the bigger issues the country is faced with right now, for me. There is very little oversight in government so it was nice seeing guys like Gowdy and Chaffetz take aim at people who have obviously abused power or tax payer dollars and attempt to hold them accountable.

I honestly had not done my research into the bills he's proposed in recent years but after taking a quick glance I can see a few reasons why people around here hold such a grudge against him. He obviously was not a friend to public lands, but he liked to think of himself as a sportsman. Which is a good thing, as it appeared to give the hunting community a little bit of leverage in fighting bills like HR 621.

I guess my concern would be who comes after Chaffetz and where his priorities lie.

Fingers crossed.

I can understand and appreciate that. Again my apologies for the over generalization. I made it sound like you didn't give a shit about them at all, which was not my intention.

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
I can understand and appreciate that. Again my apologies for the over generalization.

No worries. I probably sounded a bit callous in my original post. Completely understand your frustration. Public lands are constantly under attack and there seems to be no end to it. They are constantly chipped away and there's no way to get them back.

I really hope the current administration at least makes an effort to protect public land.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
I think perhaps some of you don't realize how much of the west is federally owned. Utah is 66% federally owned. When we lived in Utah, that was a sore subject. I expect Rep. Chaffetz' perspective is directly related to that fact.

mcseal2

WKR
I read on a news site today, can't remember which one, that Chaffetz was possibly resigning to get in line for a Supreme Court nomination.

Just checked the link, it was speculation from a host on the Blaze. Might not be any truth to it, nothing backing it up was presented but the host's opinion.

I think perhaps some of you don't realize how much of the west is federally owned. Utah is 66% federally owned. When we lived in Utah, that was a sore subject. I expect Rep. Chaffetz' perspective is directly related to that fact.

I guess I'm not getting what your putting down? I can tell you exactly how much land is federally owned, I can also tell you how much western states were given at adoption, and how much most of them have disposed of.
Numerous threads with all that info is on this forum and other places as well.

A sore subject for who? Not sportsmen I imagine.

The Fight to Keep Our Public Lands Public: 5 Questions with Randy Newberg - Orvis News

pwsINC

WKR
A sore subject for billionaires in Texas it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This guy was a major tool bag.
1) Im an officer with the bureau of prisons, we have no federal prison in Utah, and I would venture to guess nobody in Utah is highly concerned with the name of the bureau of prisons (maybe former inmates but they are not his constituents technically). but he proposed a bill to change the name to bureau of corrections as well as push a different mission in the job we do. who was he representing there? which of his constituents was he listening to when he wrote that bill? the simple fact is he sits in an office and comes up with crap to make a name for himself, and did you all listen to him lie to Cameron Hanes? what was it... "621 is just about those small pieces of land that border gas stations and stuff like that" (I know its wrong but close...)
2) Dressing up in camo and calling yourself a sportsman to gain favor from the hunting community does not make you a friend to our ways. it makes you a piece of crap, especially when he and his DC friends keep introducing bills to take away our public lands. (amodei, heller im talking to you)
3) when you say 66% of Utah is federally owned, you make it easier for someone who is not very knowledgeable about the situation say its none of their business. When you use a more accurate phrase and say 66% of Utah is owned by the American tax payer (john Q public) it can give you the means to hammer home a better message, which is:
ITS NOT YOUR LAND, LEAVE IT ALONE, IT BELONGS TO US.

Schaaf

WKR

Fingers crossed.

Yes, Chaffetz did a great job of putting the hammer down on Sid the Science Kid and Sesame Street.

tttoadman

WKR
3) when you say 66% of Utah is federally owned, you make it easier for someone who is not very knowledgeable about the situation say its none of their business. When you use a more accurate phrase and say 66% of Utah is owned by the American tax payer (john Q public) it can give you the means to hammer home a better message, which is:
ITS NOT YOUR LAND, LEAVE IT ALONE, IT BELONGS TO US.
This!!
The anti-public land supporters like to confuse "Government owned" with "public owned" to suck people in to their propoganda.

kicker338

WKR
When you guys say this is our land better not forget that the gun haters , tree huggers, antihunters are saying the same thing, it's our land and hunters have no business there. If the majority rules I think they have us out numbered. Scary isn't it.

pwsINC

WKR
No offense texas :). As many great outdoorsman there as anywhere else. You guys have the least public land. Term coined due to lack of public land in Texas. And the only would be public land was given to US at admittance to union. Why there's less than 1%. ..... I could be incorrect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
A sore subject to Utah citizens. They are, after all, who he is supposed to be representing...

I guess I'm not getting what your putting down? I can tell you exactly how much land is federally owned, I can also tell you how much western states were given at adoption, and how much most of them have disposed of.
Numerous threads with all that info is on this forum and other places as well.

A sore subject for who? Not sportsmen I imagine.

The Fight to Keep Our Public Lands Public: 5 Questions with Randy Newberg - Orvis News

Billinsd

WKR
Sounds like it's just really one big issue that you guys have against Chaffetz and for that EVERYTHING else he does or says is terrible. Sounds like liberal logic? And the stance on the issue is very liberal. Big Federal Government control, versus local. I'd trust the state far more than the Feds, except in California. We get what we deserve here.