Favorite Species to hunt

KJH

WKR
1. Afternoon mallards over potholes/sloughs on a late October day in central North Dakota.
2. Brooks Range Caribou in September- Archery and/or rifle.
3. Late season Pheasants in the snow anywhere near home.
4. Daytime archery paddlefish in June/July on the Missouri River.

Things I really like to hunt (almost every year), but didn't make the top 4:

* Archery Black bears in Manitoba during the last week of May- Not exactly exhilarating, but warm, relaxing, and good fishing. More about the trip than black bears.
* Sandhill cranes and specs in Saskatchewan in early October.
* Moose in Alaska in September.
* Calling coyotes in January/February in the snow anywhere near home.
* Archery Whitetails in November anywhere near home.
* Muzzleloader whitetails in December.
* Spring turkeys in April and early May anywhere near home.
* January/February Canada geese in cornfields.
* Archery Antelope- Western Nebraska.
* Antlerless pistol/rifle whitetails in January. No pressure looking for antlers, just meat hunting.

My problem is I like it all... some better than others, but essentially all of it... rifle, shotgun, archery, muzzleloader, you name it.

Something I've only had the fortune of doing a couple of times but really love it is doves in Argentina. It keeps going back onto my bucket list.

Last edited:

todde1792

FNG
For me, there is nothing in the world like chasing low country desert muleys with the ole' Winchester! It's hard to deny the beauty of the desert on a crisp fall morning!

Solotude

FNG
For me, there is nothing in the world like chasing low country desert muleys with the ole' Winchester! It's hard to deny the beauty of the desert on a crisp fall morning!
High country mule deer with any weapon. The Mother lode! Close second is a South Dakota Pheasant hunt behind a good dog that you feed the other 11 months of the year.:cool:

I would love to shoot a big whitetail buck and a blacktail buck, but I can't quit hunting mule deer, anywhere, anytime, but hunting them in desert country, sage and basalt outcroppings is where I love it the most. The loneliness of areas where the deer numbers are low, but so are the hunter numbers are where I long to be. It might be a day or two before I see a deer, but there's always a good chance that any buck might be "the one" in that country.

Antlers

FNG
Calling moose in the Sept rut; brown bear in the spring; calling wild turkey in the spring. I haven't hunted elk yet, but I'm thinking that will be a kick during the scream.

elkyinzer

WKR
As far as things I've hunted, archery elk, in September, in the mountains, on expansive public land. The special days they are vocal are just an otherworldly hunting experience that cannot be replicated.

Close second is hunting my home state whitetails, during the rut, big woods public land. I like room to roam on vast tracts of public land. Not quite the physical beating that elk hunting entails. After every elk hunt, successful or not, I have had various aches and pains for a month after returning home, and I'm a young fellow.

High country muleys and Alaskan moose are the only two that really stand out on my bucket list.

Crows

You will not find an animal that responds to a call better.

I love hunting them more than anything.

TripleJ

WKR
Chasing rutting Roosevelt elk in the September bow season in the Oregon coast range brush, followed closely by hunting rutting blacktails in November.

1. Mice with bow in my shop...mid October.
2. Whitetail bow Wisconsin early November
3. Elk bow Colorado early September