Favorite Species to hunt

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, give me your best sales pitch on your all time favorite species to hunt, what weapon, and either state or terrain type (not asking for hunting spot more like "high country muleys or swamps for moose" ) I want to hear maybe why you choose this animal over any man other etc. go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
I don't know if its my favorite species to hunt but my favorite hunt every year is our antelope trip to an extended family member's property. Over the course of the trip we take (or attempt to take) rabbits, coyotes, doves, jackrabbits, prairie dogs and of course antelope. Antelope is always the goal but we always fit in these other hunts. Last year, I got an antelope, a jackrabbit, 3 or 4 doves and a couple cottontails.

elkduds

WKR
Elk here in the home state in late Sept, when leaves are changing and bulls bugle like royal trumpeters.

TheCougar

WKR
Archery elk during the rut. But then again, I've never hunted sheep or moose, which sound pretty awesome as well.

hodgeman

WKR
I'm a dyed in the wool caribou junkie. I love hunting those critters in high country with a rifle, going to try a bow this year.

One of the really awesome things about caribou is that you can usually make repeated stalks in a given day during the migration and you can usually find enough of them that it's pretty productive hunting.

...and they're good eating as well.

Davebuech

WKR
Hunting Elk in archery season is one of my favorite hunts for sure. I love the high country, dense woods and stalking in close. Nothing better than the sound of a big ol bull Elk running in and screaming at you at close range. Even when they are just sounding off in the backcountry, it definitely gets me stoked!

Back in the day I also enjoyed hunting grouse and pheasants over a good dog....my good hunting dogs are gone now and I just have house pets.

No doubt about it, my favorite hunt is mountain goats on Kodiak, Dall sheep are a close second, then moose (mainly because I really enjoy eating them, and it's pretty hard to beat a crazy, red eyed, drooling bull coming in on a string to a bull grunt).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salix

FNG
I've always enjoyed moose hunting but my favourite hunt the past 6-7 years has been an elk hunt in northern BC with the guys. River boat in and hike off river in the prime of the rut. Great group of guys that all get along, time around the fire after a hard day of hiking/hunting makes the trip worth it even if we don't get anything.
Did a short mountain goat hunt last year which was into amazing country. Planning to do it again this year. I could get addicted to hunting the tops of the mountains.

JWP58

WKR
Chukar. Vertical cheatgrass slopes, brittanys, and devil birds. Easy to pack out as well.

Why? The hellish but beautiful country they live, the thrill of a covey flush, and challenge.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
For me it's either pheasant or sand hill cranes hunting in the high planes of Texas. Get up early, shoot a limit of cranes (ribeye of the sky) with maybe a few bonus ducks or geese, then walk the fields during the afternoon for pheasant while getting bonus bobwhite and scaled quail, and dove. To top the day off go home and cook them all over a mesquite fire to make fajitas. Or go to a raider game afterwards.

Never been elk hunting but I have a GILA tag for this year so we will see how that goes.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
For me it's either pheasant or sand hill cranes hunting in the high planes of Texas. Get up early, shoot a limit of cranes (ribeye of the sky) with maybe a few bonus ducks or geese, then walk the fields during the afternoon for pheasant while getting bonus bobwhite and scaled quail, and dove. To top the day off go home and cook them all over a mesquite fire to make fajitas. Or go to a raider game afterwards.

Never been elk hunting but I have a GILA tag for this year so we will see how that goes.

You lost me at "go to a raider game"......go Frogs....

Jauwater

WKR
Bear/Whitetail/Small-Game seasons overlap for a short period here. Those are my favorite times to head for the mountains for 3-5 backcountry nights with the Trad. But if it was just heading out for a day hunt, a good Dove field can be as fun as it gets.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Getting too old for dall sheep but I have always enjoyed calling in moose, especially high country moose where you draw em out into the open.
A 60" bull at 30 yards of open country is exhilarating! I'm sure a bull elk would also be exciting but I haven't had that opportunity.

Archery elk in September chasing big Roosevelt elk and fall black bear while the berries are on here in Oregon!!! I used to love rattling in Blacktail in early December but with kids sports I just don't have enough time anymore

oldgoat

WKR
High country elk in Colorado, 10k and higher! Like the woods that grow at that elevation better. But I do love sitting a tree stand come the colder months and waiting on whitetail! If the whitetail's lived the alpine I might enjoy them much as elk.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
You lost me at "go to a raider game"......go Frogs....
Hey now, I'm actually a Tarleton student. I just love watching football after a day of bird hunting. Plus all my high school/hunting buddies went to tech so there's the convenience factor there.