Favorite Species to hunt

JWP58

WKR
Hey now, I'm actually a Tarleton student. I just love watching football after a day of bird hunting. Plus all my high school/hunting buddies went to tech so there's the convenience factor there.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Oh boy...Cowboy capital of the world...grew just north of the 'ville. Even took a couple of classes there myself (HSU grad).

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tie for me between CO archery Mulies above tree line in the early season or spot and stalk archery whitetails in the plains.

Everybody should experience the waterfowl migration in Saskatchewan and the flooded timber in Arkansas at least once in their life. Favorite I'd probably still say elk, be it archery muzzleloader or rifle. I've grown a deep appreciation as I've gotten older for the whitetails of the Midwest (used to despise sitting in a stand). Hunting bears has gotten really addicting as well as turkeys in the spring with trad archery.

I enjoy the most pulling new tags and seeing new country. Species isn't really as big of a deal as just seeing different areas and wilderness's that I'd otherwise ignore if I weren't hunting.

Agross

WKR
For me it's Michigan whitetail. Nothing like hunting rutting whitetail in the fall with a bow in my hand. Black bear hunting is a close second. However, I'm pretty sure when I finally get to do my first elk hunt, it's gonna trump everything. I can't wait.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This one's easy.......rutting bull elk during archery season. If they didn't respond and they stayed silent, and I couldn't have fun with them......I'm not even sure I'd hunt them. When I get up around 11k feet, it's like getting a shot of adrenaline.....even in the off-season.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The wish these were the size of elk, so when I shoot one I would have meat from the harvest that lasts into winter.

View attachment 50295

Pronghorn are my favorite with a rifle. With a bow, it is surely elk.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Wow, hard to pick just one. They are all so much fun in their own way! If pressed to pick though I'd go back to my roots and what I grew up hunting... Elk! Muzzleloader elk in September in the Colorado high country.

Ultimate trips to me are great scenery, low cost (the experience is repeatable), good numbers of animals but trophy class are still elusive and good table fare.

Chamois in New Zealand

Second would have to be Kodiak deer hunt in nice weather late October.

Phaesent is western Dakotas may be third. I'm smitten by big sky country and rolling plains.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really not yet ready to answer this question. I've not hunted stag, caribou, or been to Namibia yet. When I'm old(er) and grey(er), I might have a good idea to my favorite species.

As of right now, my favorite hunt is anything my son goes with me on. Best hunting partner I've got.

Dall sheep for me. Although I hunted elk for the first time last season and chasing bulls around afognak was exciting as hell. Wish I could hunt those critters every year.

Scoot

WKR
Archery elk. Different strokes for different folks, but I struggle to understand a different choice from almost anyone! It's my favorite by a factor of 10!!!

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
Either early September velvet or late season rutting muley's. Elk are for eating and deer are to look at on the wall.

ChukarUp

FNG
I've never hunted elk with a bow during the rut. Mainly because I usually hunt solo and the pack out just isn't realistic for me to pull off. I see how that could win me over, but for now...

Antelope hunts are the most fun and laid back. My favorite though is mule deer. For the challenge of the terrain and reward of finding a mature buck. To me personally, nothing is more fulfilling than a successful mule deer hunt.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Some of these responses are pretty awesome. Super enamored with Antelope. Keep hearing how good they taste. Gotta try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love mule deer in the high desert. Glassing mountains covered in sage brush, mountain mahogany and low junipers and then putting the miles in to get to them is the classic western hunt experience in my mind. I will love that forever. Of course bugling bulls in archery season is pretty damn amazing too...so that is a very close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk