Kodiak Rokslider's Hike

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Work brought me to the rock for three days.

Anyone want to hike Barometer or any other trail for that matter?

Figured I'd throw it up here to see if anyone is bored. I'll be on Barometer a couple times in the evenings while I'm here.

PM me if you want to meet up.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Won't make this hike but will probably be in Kodiak for work in two weeks for a weekend. Would be great to do a hike if anyone is around.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of cool stuff to see and places to explore on Kodiak. Went trail running through Fort Abercrombie Park on Monday night. Lots of war related history through the trails and nearly endless options for routes and lengths. Awesome trails.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday night I hiked up Pyramid as far as I could before the snow got annoyingly deep for what I was wearing. I was wishing for pants, gators, and Kahtula's.

Wednesday morning, I cranked out the work I needed to get done and headed up Barometer. Bumped into this billy right near the peak, he wasn't very impressed to see me and started meandering away.

kodiakfly

WKR
Well crap, I've been off here for a few weeks and didn't see this. Barometer is out my back door...like literally. Sorry I missed you.

Attachments

• barometer1.jpg
    barometer1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well crap, I've been off here for a few weeks and didn't see this. Barometer is out my back door...like literally. Sorry I missed you.

Dang it! It was good weather and a blast anyways 👍🏻. I'll PM you next time I head down. Probably won't be for awhile though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing pictures Kodiak is on bucket list of places to see before I die

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
My trip to Kodiak is a go for next weekend. Will be my first time visiting. A hike up Barometer and a run through Fort Abercrombie is on my to-do list after seeing those pictures.

kodiakfly

WKR
Scenery is great...when it's scenery. Barometer hasn't been out for a couple of days. #kodiakproblems lol
0767304e5705b06dfdad0ddae0c0e26c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My trip to Kodiak is a go for next weekend. Will be my first time visiting. A hike up Barometer and a run through Fort Abercrombie is on my to-do list after seeing those pictures.

If you don't hook up with anyone that knows the area, here's a couple of tips that would've saved me some time on my first trip down there:

I'm sure there are other access points but this is how I access Barometer. There is a pull-off just passed the airport runway blast zone, park there. Walk directly across the road to a narrow footpath, the trail takes off from there. You'll switchback a couple times but the trail will lead you towards the base of the hill. Go PASSED the first trail leading up into the valley. Take the second route heading up the hill, there WILL BE A SIGN marking the correct route. Taking the wrong route and brush busting up to the main trail will shred your legs if you're wearing shorts, there are some little bushes that have thorns.

For Abercrombie, it's easy to find but bring $5 cash to pay for parking.

As KodiakFly mentioned, the weather can make it challenging. If it's nasty, go to Abercrombie, I like running in the rain anyways. If it looks promising on Barometer, don't waste the opportunity.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theres some good trails/reports on this forum

Home | Kodiak Snow Report

Yep that site has some great trail write-ups. Another note if anyone is looking for more trails, swing by the Kodiak Island Borough. They have huge foldout color maps with every trail on the road system. According to the map, there are 81 trails, it gives trail ratings and lengths as well.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the good info and the suggestions. Looking at the weather forecast it appears it will be mostly rainy and some wind. No matter the conditions, my first trip to Kodiak will be a good learning experience for future visits.