MT "Honeymoon Weekend"

Whisky

WKR
Well I guess I have a wedding coming up and the woman wants to maybe do something different over the 4th of July for a little "honeymoon". She has never been to MT or seen the mountains. I have been researching a bit, and was going to try to tie something in so I could scout for elk in the breaks (don't tell the fiance), but I think I'm going to scratch that idea for now as options are few and far between for that area. So now I'm thinking a nice quiet lodge in the middle of some mountains. A lake near by would be a plus, or some sort of rafting. Hiking trails would be a must. A nice town within a half hour would be ok too, I'm sure she'd appreciate a little shopping. I prefer piece and quiet. Not looking for a big, busy tourist destination, although I'm not sure if that's even possible around the 4th. Hows Red Lodge in the summer?

My long list of requirements are as follows:
Lodge with a bar

What places would you guys check out, and activities to go along with it? We'd probably get to our destination on Saturday and head home the 4th or 5th. Thanks

I'd head to Whitefish myself and do the glacier bit for a day or two.... I'm a little biased though, my heart is in the very NW part of that state.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Be careful. My wife and I came here on our honeymoon in 1989. After two weeks of fishing we were packing up to head home and she gave me the ultimatum, "I'm moving here; you coming with?"

Been here ever since.

Glad you decided to re-think elk scouting in the breaks. There will be plenty more opportunities for those kind of trips in the future, but that's the last thing I would be thinking about on a honeymoon.

What kind of rafting would you be looking for? Whitewater? Fishing?

You should check out Quinns Hot Springs. Quiet little lodge with hot springs, a poolside bar and a pretty dang good steakhouse. It sits right on the lower Clark Fork river. About a 45 minute drive upstream would put you on the Alberton Gorge, the Clark's whitewater section. You could raft it DIY or do a guided trip. The National Bison Range is also a 30 minute drive away for wildlife and sightseeing.

Since it's your honeymoon I would urge you to give your wife-to-be your full attention. You should want to and she should want it.

The last thing you want is a lifetime of "you remember when you snuck off to scout elk on our honeymoon?"

2ski

WKR
Double arrow Lodge. Seeley lake. Not a lot of hiking trails per se but you could take off into the Bob. The hike to Morell falls is cool. Or better, Holland Lake lodge. Quiet lake but still has some cabins. Sweet little place. You can hike to the falls. Or your close to the Bob. You could make an all day hike in. Drive to big fork for a day. Fly fish the Swan River or Clearwater.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You tell her you are going scouting and she can stay at the lodge and make small talk with the other wives...

Wait. You do want to live. So happy wife = happy life. Splurge and spend all your time with her.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Chico hot springs, close to Livingston and Bozeman. Can't go wrong with Holland lake lodge either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
It won't put you very close to much shopping but look into one of the usfs cabin rentals. Specifically, Mission Lookout. There are a few elevated fire lockouts on the cabin rental roster.

This would put you within an hour of Kalispell. Half hour to Bigfork and a few minutes from Swan lake, the Swan River and a lot of hiking trails on national and or state forests and trails that make reaching the fringes of the Bob an easy day hike.

Second choice in this general area would be the Swan Guard Station cabin. Owl Creek Packer Camp cabin ( closer to missoula ). The rental cabins are rustic, but lots of fun and they are almost all pretty secluded.

CorbLand

WKR
Be careful. My wife and I came here on our honeymoon in 1989. After two weeks of fishing we were packing up to head home and she gave me the ultimatum, "I'm moving here; you coming with?"

Been here ever since.

I fail to see the problem here, Randy?

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Many options but somewhere in the Flathead Valley. However, 4th of July will be very busy wherever you go unless you hit a small town in eastern MT. Better start booking your room. You can easily escape the crowds just drive away from Glacier National Park.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I fail to see the problem here, Randy?

Oh, no problem here. Elk out my back door, walleyes seemingly ignored by trout fishermen, lots of beaver to trap, whitetails in every creek drainage, December mallards so thick you have to shoot in self-defense, and Dairy Queens in great abundance. Best ultimatum I ever was issued.

ChrisS

WKR

Been here ever since.
It's funny you say that. Last year we went to MT for a vacation and now I have full permission to seek gainful employment in the treasure state. She loved the low humidity & mountains. My firm may be opening an office there soon and I've already put myself on the volunteer list.

Depending on your budget, spend a night or two in the Chipmunk cabin at Triple Creek Ranch outside of Darby, MT. My wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights there for our honeymoon last year.

Last edited:
OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Many options but somewhere in the Flathead Valley. However, 4th of July will be very busy wherever you go unless you hit a small town in eastern MT. Better start booking your room. You can easily escape the crowds just drive away from Glacier National Park.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Yup it appears we missed the boat here. Checked out some of the nicer places to stay at, as well as all lodging options within the park, and they are booked solid.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Depending on your budget, spend a night or two in the Chipmunk cabin at Triple Creek Ranch outside of Darby, MT. My wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights there for our honeymoon last year.

Checked this place out, and called them as well. Looks like a nice place, that Chipmunk Cottage must be popular there isn't any openings in July and only a few nights in August.

So what all did you do when you stayed here? Just stick to the resort activities? I see they have whitewater rafting in ID about an hour from the resort.