Trump begins repealing national park declarations.

Bl704

WKR
More or less, they sold Mount Rushmore. I just wish I could remember who owned the parking garage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Using my Google superpowers...
"Mount Rushmore National Memorial Parking Facility

Parking is readily available in the memorial's parking complex. The parking facility is operated under a concession contract between the National Park Service and Xanterra Parks and Resorts, Inc. Since no federal funding was used to construct the parking facility, a parking fee has been authorized to offset the costs associated with the operation and maintenance of the parking facility."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
So before it was declared a National Monument it was a worse neighbor just like the rest of the state and county lands???

Monument was established in 1911. From BLM lands, if you can even imagine that. And it has been a magnificent success. Kind of reminds me of Bear's Ears, but has more in common w Escalante. The state lands, meanwhile, have never had a level of care or funding to remotely approach the Monument. In 2015, 588,000 people visited the Monument, where they marveled @ red rock canyons, but could not locate any grazing, drilling or mining. Unless they glanced outside the park boundary.

gbflyer

WKR
Big difference. The people lobbied for the CNM, a cohesive voice was formed and the process happened. Yes, it stalled in Congress but at least they tried. There was no process for Bears Ears. There was a knee jerk reaction to a new incoming administration that is pro-development.

Hey I'm all for public access. For ALL the public. What we are creating are areas for the elite. In my state it's ANWR. Beautiful there, probably not the best place to drill. But who can afford to go see it? The elite and those from the government that do "research".

Read "A Land Gone Lonesome" by Fairbanks author Dan O'Neil. Very enlightening reading about the process to establish these areas, and those who live there who pay the price.

Last edited:
Using my Google superpowers...
"Mount Rushmore National Memorial Parking Facility

Parking is readily available in the memorial's parking complex. The parking facility is operated under a concession contract between the National Park Service and Xanterra Parks and Resorts, Inc. Since no federal funding was used to construct the parking facility, a parking fee has been authorized to offset the costs associated with the operation and maintenance of the parking facility."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
That's it. Hopefully after a set number of years, they remove the fee and my National Park Pass will pay for my entry. Kinda like the toll booths in Ky. After 20 years of charging tolls, to recoup the cost of the parkway, they remove the tolls.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2015, 588,000 people visited the Monument, where they marveled @ red rock canyons, but could not locate any grazing, drilling or mining. Unless they glanced outside the park boundary.

Garden of the Gods in your new back yard isn't a National Monument, yet it probably has more visitors and there is no grazing, drilling, or mining there either.

elkduds

WKR
Garden of the Gods in your new back yard isn't a National Monument, yet it probably has more visitors and there is no grazing, drilling, or mining there either.
There is an active farm smack in the middle of it. GoG is a city park, not comparable to Nat'l Monuments in size, scope, mission.

Fun fact.........

Wyoming is exempt from the Antiquates Act. Their Congressional delegation and constituents were so pissed to find out that a bunch of New York socialites, led by John D Rockefeller, had purchased most of Jackson Hole and then, gasp, gave it to the Feds, that they got the exception written into law when Congress added Jackson Hole to Grand Tetons NP.

Damn shame too. All those millions of folks spending a couple of billion a year when Jackson Hole rightfully belongs to a handful of ranchers and miners. I mean how much better would their license plates look with an oil derrick instead of a cowboy with the Tetons and Jackson Hole in the background.

:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There is an active farm smack in the middle of it. GoG is a city park, not comparable to Nat'l Monuments in size, scope, mission.

But you implied that because it was a National Manument, that it was a better neighbor than other lands. I doubt much of it would be different if it was never designated as a NM.

oenanthe

WKR
Hey I'm all for public access. For ALL the public. What we are creating are areas for the elite. In my state it's ANWR. Beautiful there, probably not the best place to drill. But who can afford to go see it? The elite and those from the government that do "research".

Eh? You can do walk-in hunts on the west side of ANWR from the haul road. And plenty of us who aren't elite do fly-in hunts in the eastern portion where there are no roads.

Read "A Land Gone Lonesome" by Fairbanks author Dan O'Neil. Very enlightening reading about the process to establish these areas, and those who live there who pay the price.

+1 on Land Gone Lonesome (and the rest of Dan's books for that matter).

gbflyer

WKR
Eh? You can do walk-in hunts on the west side of ANWR from the haul road. And plenty of us who aren't elite do fly-in hunts in the eastern portion where there are no roads.

+1 on Land Gone Lonesome (and the rest of Dan's books for that matter).

Ok, so how much for a family of 4 flying in from Chicago to do a fly in rafting trip?

dotman

WKR
Ok, so how much for a family of 4 flying in from Chicago to do a fly in rafting trip?

My guess would be probably similar in price as anywhere else in AK for a fly in hunt, as in $$$$. Cost would be the same for a family of 4 from AK minus the airfare to get to AK. Hunting or just recreating doesn't matter, it's expensive to fly into the bush anywhere in AK from what I've seen so really that cost has nothing to do with a designation vs how remote the country is to access.

Or are you wanting a road system in AK like the lower 48 has? Yeah let's spend millions to create a road system that will have more caribou travel it then people?

Broomd

WKR
This guy could care less about any monuments or protection of anything. He has one simple agenga, and conservation is not any part of it. I have already sent an inquiry on this to both of my Senators.

What a load of crap...what is Trump's 'one simple agenda?' Jobs? Isis? Immigration? Healthcare? Tax reform? Kudos to President Trump for nixing this Monument garbage....

Thankfully those liberal Oregon Senators have no say in this at this point.

Last edited:
I personally wish anyone who supports more lands deemed National Monuments (eventually to become National Parks) to have one in their backyard.

I'm looking out my window at one of Obama's National Monument designations (Brown's Canyon) as I write this. From my perspective, all the designation has done is shined an even brighter light on the most popular commercially rafted section of whitewater in the country. Which means more visitors which means more money.

So has the designation enhanced or inhibited my recreation possibilities in this area? No. But I can tell you the biggest proponents of designation were the rafting companies and the biggest opponents of most designations are extractive industries. Either way you slice it, its all about money.

Broomd

WKR
I'm looking out my window at one of Obama's National Monument designations (Brown's Canyon) as I write this. From my perspective, all the designation has done is shined an even brighter light on the most popular commercially rafted section of whitewater in the country. Which means more visitors which means more money.

So has the designation enhanced or inhibited my recreation possibilities in this area? No. But I can tell you the biggest proponents of designation were the rafting companies and the biggest opponents of most designations are extractive industries. Either way you slice it, its all about money.
Money is relevant, but make no mistake, this is about Government control and POWER.
Anyone that has dealt with the Wrangel St. Elias Park Service knows exactly what I am talking about. Orwellian is probably too kind.

WKR
Fun fact.........

Wyoming is exempt from the Antiquates Act. Their Congressional delegation and constituents were so pissed to find out that a bunch of New York socialites, led by John D Rockefeller, had purchased most of Jackson Hole and then, gasp, gave it to the Feds, that they got the exception written into law when Congress added Jackson Hole to Grand Tetons NP.

Damn shame too. All those millions of folks spending a couple of billion a year when Jackson Hole rightfully belongs to a handful of ranchers and miners. I mean how much better would their license plates look with an oil derrick instead of a cowboy with the Tetons and Jackson Hole in the background.

:)

You don't seem to know much about Wyoming

i will be one that thinks it is a crying shame. Some places are just worth preserving. And if it takes an executive order so be it. The fact there is a small group of wealthy individuals that will do anything they can to ass rape some of these places and leave them in ruin all for a temporary profit is enough of a reason alone for me to support the protection of these areas. They dont care about you or me or our hunting rights or leaving anything for future generations. They are greedy sons of bitches on their best day. 100 years from now places protected through national park and national monument designation might be the only natural looking areas left. drill baby drill is too real and still way too much alive. I do not know how anyone who loves anything wild can support anything this administration is doing. Trump would sign any thing he can to allow groups to drill, mine, destroy or just flat out eliminate any natural resource if it made them a buck.

elkduds

WKR
But you implied that because it was a National Manument, that it was a better neighbor than other lands. I doubt much of it would be different if it was never designated as a NM.

Speculate all you want about "what if," we recognize that as fiction.

I write what I mean. Example: Bear's Ears NM had a long formal vetting, opposition from state of UT was considered, Obama acted within his legal purview in designating same. I hope and expect that any Trump legal challenge to existing Monument designations will fare as well as his recent and current adventures before the federal courts.

I posted that CNM was a better neighbor than state and county lands. Implications and interpretations are the opinions of the reader, who is mistaken in attributing them to the writer. Assigning them to the author is, again, fiction.

I am all for reduction in the size of some of the national monuments. I grew up in a town bordering the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument and saw first hand the impact that it had. Yes, it has brought in more tourism but it has also limited the use of parts of the now monument. I understand and appreciate the need for preservation of resources and sites for future generations but allocating 1.8 million acres seems a little excessive. From my experience I will venture a guess that 80% of tourists spend their time on less than a third of the monument. Again, this is from my experience and time on the monument but my point is that a smaller amount of land could be designated at a National Park and the rest could be left to be managed by the BLM or FS. This would enable better management of the cherished and popular attractions and allow better utilization of the remaining land. Call me a narrow minded Utahrd but I have seen the impacts and would suggest a compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
What a load of crap...what is Trump's 'one simple agenda?' Jobs? Isis? Immigration? Healthcare? Tax reform? Kudos to President Trump for nixing this Monument garbage....

Thankfully those liberal Oregon Senators have no say in this at this point.
I just wish he could try to make a change without being a bull in the china shop. I am all for most of his concepts. I just don't agree with his willingness to trash everything in the way that is good. Trimming some of the EPA power and removing the ability for people to make frivolous litigation would likely make all the difference. I am also afraid his policies are nothing but a trickle down concept that always seems to stop well above the middle class. I am just afraid we will spend the next 4 years cutting trees, and strip mining, and drilling and then try to spend the next 50years to clean it up after he is gone. He is just as extreme as the crazy tree huggers, just the other way around. I do wish the Oregon delegation was not quite so liberal. Tough to find otherwise on these 3 west coast states.