Wyoming wolf hunting

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is about 10 steps in the right direction. Hope to see some wolf photos on the slide this year.
Congrats.

Randy

Scottyboy

WKR
Hopefully it works for you guys, we (Minnesota) had 2 seasons I believe before all hell broke loose and I doubt we will ever see one again. To that point, I doubt we will ever see a moose season again because of it.

I did however cash in when I drew a tag a few year ago when we had our last season.. good luck gentlemen!!

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully it works for you guys, we (Minnesota) had 2 seasons I believe before all hell broke loose and I doubt we will ever see one again. To that point, I doubt we will ever see a moose season again because of it.

I did however cash in when I drew a tag a few year ago when we had our last season.. good luck gentlemen!!

Can you explain this in a little more detail?

Can you explain this in a little more detail?
A few northern mid-west states (mn, wi and maybe mi) had wolves delisted & were allowed state control a few years back. they were able to implement hunting seasons. After a couple years a federal judge in DC overturned it stating they hadn't recovered throughout their pre-settlement range and until they did couldn't be labeled as "recovered". The historic range literally extended into the Deep South and since that's not likely going to happen ever again, the states with the problems will be suffering. It was actually Obama admin that pushed for delisting and state control which is just another example of this not being a left vs right issue but an anti vs hunter issue. I have some close contacts in mn, sounds like wolves are a major player in the Moose decline there. Not sure if it's supported biologically though?

That sucks. Our moose numbers are wayyyy down here as well. They just lowered the moose tags this year considerably. I am out alot....i mean like every day and I have seen less than 5 all year so far. Good luck.

ChrisS

WKR
... I have some close contacts in mn, sounds like wolves are a major player in the Moose decline there. Not sure if it's supported biologically though?
Wolves probably aren't helping, but overall moose in the lower-48 are under a lot of stress from warm winters and whitetail deer populations. Winter ticks are killing moose and so is brainworm which is carried and transmitted by whitetails (which aren't adversely affected by the parasites). Tag numbers in ME, VT, and NH are trending down for the same reasons and they don't have wolves.

Wolves probably aren't helping, but overall moose in the lower-48 are under a lot of stress from warm winters and whitetail deer populations. Winter ticks are killing moose and so is brainworm which is carried and transmitted by whitetails (which aren't adversely affected by the parasites). Tag numbers in ME, VT, and NH are trending down for the same reasons and they don't have wolves.

That's what they say.... At face value it seems like a combination of things, and its tough for me to attribute it to one thing only. Like you said, they might not be the one denominator but certainly aren't helping. I'm not a biologist and truth be told, don't have alot of stake in the midwest states moose numbers as it's usually or was a resident tag only. I have spent a fair amount of time in Northern ND off the Canadian boarder (same latitude as Ely, MN) and numbers there appear to be approaching nuisance almost. It's not uncommon to see 1/2 dozen in a morning so it's tough for me to swallow the climate change pill but again, that's my completely unprofessional, non specialized opinion...

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. So it's mainly federal interference from activist judges influenced by PAC $s from the left. I've heard of that before. :)

Thanks for the info. So it's mainly federal interference from activist judges influenced by PAC $s from the left. I've heard of that before. :)

I don't 100% see it as the left being the boogie man... Like I said, it was the left's administration that made the hunt possible in the 1st place. From what I understand it was a judge that was heavily involved with the humane society seeing this as being a social issue and putting a kabosh on it, with heavy backing from anti hunting advocacy groups. If memory serves me correct it even caught our POTUS off gaurd.

I'm not looking at it as a left vs right issue, I'm a self proclaimed gun nut with Christian values so I lean right in most cases. I'm also though, not so naive to think my views are the only correct ones & usually I'm willing to accept someone's opposite views, even if I don't agree with them. Personally, however, I feel that politicians all the way down to the county commissioner level are crooks in every sense of the word.... on both sides of the spectrum

4rcgoat

WKR
I don't 100% see it as the left being the boogie man... Like I said, it was the left's administration that made the hunt possible in the 1st place. From what I understand it was a judge that was heavily involved with the humane society seeing this as being a social issue and putting a kabosh on it, with heavy backing from anti hunting advocacy groups. If memory serves me correct it even caught our POTUS off gaurd.

I'm not looking at it as a left vs right issue, I'm a self proclaimed gun nut with Christian values so I lean right in most cases. I'm also though, not so naive to think my views are the only correct ones & usually I'm willing to accept someone's opposite views, even if I don't agree with them. Personally, however, I feel that politicians all the way down to the county commissioner level are crooks in every sense of the word.... on both sides of the spectrum

Amen brother,neither side is any better than the other.

WKR
Then get involved and fix it.

It's easy to throw opinions from the peanut gallery without much understanding of the complexity of the issues. Go ahead and get involved and let the geniuses without any uderstanding call you a crook. Good luck.