How Bad is Whitetail Winterkill in the Idaho Panhandle?

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
So now that people have been out shed hunting & other outdoor activities, just how bad was the winter on whitetails? Haven't found above normal winterkill in NW Montana. Finding a couple a day with not much left from wolves. Otherwise, seeing quite a few live ones. Would appreciate any input on Idaho loss. Thanks.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I don't think it is that bad. I have seen a lot of skinny deer though. Most folks have been feeding them, putting hay and grain out. Because of the sheer amount of imports here treating them like pets. Problem with that is then the deer don't want to move on from the easy meal. So, we will see.

FreeRange

WKR
Talked to a biologist recently who works in the McCall zone but hunts and spends time in the Clearwater and he said the winter has been worse in the south and central parts of the state. He said from what he'd seen and heard there shouldn't be any significant impact to whitetail in that part of the state and hopefully that carries through to the panhandle region as well.

OP
M

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for info. I think here in Montana if winter didn't break in early March it would have been far worse.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk