Grizzly Bears in Colorado's San Juans

bud

FNG
We have a few spares we could let you have at a good deal. WY is not that far logistics wise and I think WG&F would be happy to work with CO. Nothing like setting up your solo backpack camp look down and step right on one of THOSE tracks.

Not Grizzlies

20140914_161601_zpsb0ofmqvg.jpg

bear_zps7f960b89.jpg

IMAG0192_zpsc5eb8590.jpg

jdmaxwell

WKR
2 years ago I had 2 different cinnamon phase black bears at 40 yds.
We too know difference. Not what we saw.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
Didn't CO parks and wildlife swear there weren't any ruffed grouse in the state either?

I find it hard to believe they are now extripated after they were believed to have been over 20yrs prior to the last encounter/attack. Let's just say I wouldn't be suprised if someone gets attacked by a grizz one day and once again it's declared "now that's the last one".

Btw I don't believe it's a cover up by the state/feds or anything of the sort.

Slade

FNG
I got 100% and have never even seen a grizzly in person. I have only ever seen one black bear in person and it was at night. I'm sure in person it would be much harder though with heart racing, weather conditions/visibility, and not having that neat picture of a grizzly and black bear above the quiz to compare them to, haha.

100% but I see several grizzlies every year (arrowed one so far) and about 80-120 black bears per year as well. (Saw 2 blacks on my hunt this morning......sow and cub).

I'm planning on doubling my time in the field this year from last year down here in the SJ NF, so I'll keep a keen eye for them. So far I haven't seen any.

Just FYI Adam Greentree was on Rogans podcast this week and talks about seeing a grizzly in CO. He's been charged by grizz in MT and had a black bear in view at the same time as the grizzly. He also had no idea there weren't grizz in CO until the internet buzz over his claims.

Davebuech

WKR
Griz Mark.jpg
The closest Ive come to photographing a Griz. Photo taken in the Tetons.

I don't tell this story often for the queer looks I get. 4 or 5 years ago my wife and I stopped east of Independence Pass for a picnic lunch. As we sat by the creek, I happened to look up and spotted a bear 700-800ish yards off. It was a very large bear and easy to spot even at that distance. I ran to the truck for the bino's and almost immediately noticed a large shoulder hump. Nose seemed slender and smaller ears but even with my 8x binos that part was hard to clearly define (my truck binos). Wish I would have had my spotter! IME, it was either a Griz or a black bear that was crossbred with a short legged camel! I doubt hardly the second option. She had 2 cubs with her and we watched them for 15 or 20 minutes before they disappeared into the timbers.

For what it's worth, I've seen black bears, brown bears and griz. I also scored 100 on the test.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh and my wife has also seen several or more black bears, as well as having a very close look (less than 70 yards) at a Griz on the same trip the above photo was taken. She agrees with me....and that doesn't happen very often.

dotman

WKR
I grew up in a household where my father was a game warden in California. The wildlife "sightings" that would get called into our house were always damn entertaining. In general, the average person with very little GOOD wildlife ID skills has no idea at all what they are seeing late at night. I have taken calls of people reporting grizzly bears and all sorts of other crazy crap including mt lions that end up being bobcats or dogs, of course the wolf vs coyote sightings have been around forever, . As such I literally believe nothing i hear from non expert accounts regarding bears, lions, sasquatch, and ghosts. Colorado is not that far from Wyoming so it is doable. The problem is that its grizzlies really are not good at hiding, and they leave a lot of tell tell sign. CO DOW would gladly report if they had credible evidence of a grizzly I know many people within colorado DOW that would love to see them, love to confirm it. There is no conspiracy to hide proof of a grizzly in colorado.

You say not good at hiding but the last confirmed grizzly sighting before the 79 mauling in CO was in the 50's. Also the sow that was killed in 79 had nursed cubs. Just makes you wonder.

OP

3forks

WKR
IMG_1324.jpg

Supposedly, this is the pic of the bear in Colorado.

I too, scored 100% on Montana's bear test. If I saw this bear in Montana, I'd believe it to be a grizzly.

Last edited: