What compass do you use?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to find a decent one to take along with me on my spring bear trip to Idaho in early June. I'm no navigational expert, but I've got the basics and want to pick up a good compass to go with me as a backup for my GPS.

What's everyone using?

Davebuech

WKR
I carry a Silva Explorer, light and has everything I need, but some like a sighting compass. Whichever you choose, I recommend one with adjustable declination so you can set it and forget it.

Rokwiia

WKR
A Suunto baseplate and a Silva Ranger.

Here is the best resource information I've found about using a compass:

Traditional Navigation

Forget the declination add/subtract method. Drawn magnetic north lines on your maps before you head out. That way, you can take readings on the fly without ever having to orient the map in the field or remember whether to add or subtract. A side benefit is that it allows you a moment to study the terrain features of the area you will be hunting in while drawing the magnetic north lines.

Last edited:
I use a Suunto M9 wrist compass. Been wearing one for years. I find that I'll use it more than a traditional compass because I don't have to dig it out to use it.

mvmnts

WKR
On my backpacking trips, use map and compass exclusively. (I do carry gps as backup though). I carry the Suunto M3 G. The global needle is nice because it doesn't have to be perfect level, great for shooting a bearing on the move.

jtw

WKR
Suunto Mc2 global. It's what I used to use as a field tech and One day I will use it south of the equator!

ChrisS

WKR
Silva basic one and a ball compass pinned to a pack strap. It's perfect for a quick look to make sure I'm still on course when traipsing through dense forest and thick stuff. It's easy to get turned around when navigating over deadfall and around elevation changes.