"Like" "Like" "Like" - What the hell is happening to our English ?

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm going to steal Daniel M's saying and say the "hick-hop" country drives me nuts along with "bro". Just can't handle that either!

tttoadman

WKR
It blows my mind how much of this goes on with college level kids. It is really great to see a well spoken young person these days. Perhaps more "face time", even if it is a on a screen, and less screen texting will help correct this trend. ??

Do people realize that "I SEEN that boat go by yesterday" is actually wrong. I can understand if people say it once in a while, but there are people who actually use this word this way when writing.

This has been a good laugh for me so far. I am ashamed to say I am becoming quite the old grouch also.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like, this thread is killing me;) Awesome! (That's another one)
Like, my nephew can text while his phone is in his pocket.

Randy

The "like" drives me nuts, especially when they use it every other word. Also, "you know" and "I mean" makes it hard to listen to most radio talk shows. Glen Beck and Sean Hannity force me to change the station when they start every sentence with "I mean, you know, I'm like...."
SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP...... PLEASE !!!!!!

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
In my former life as a contractor/developer I used to have a few law suites going on and when you read the transcripts from your own deposition, you'll be surprised how many ummmm's, ahhg's, like and things people say. They really type that stuff up too. Our lawyer coached us on this stuff and when I read my brother's depositions I'd have several "really, you said that?" moments.

Last edited:

Takem

WKR
In my former life as a contractor/developer.

Interesting. I've spent much of the last week thinking hard about making this part of my "former life" as well. It like seems like it would be so much more relaxing to move on.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
From the hunting video world there are several phrases I can't stand. But every time I hear someone say "I smoked him" I'm thinking to myself "smoked him????........you haven't even recovered him yet". Mmmmmm.....smoked wild game.

So has said every generation about the upcoming youth.

494.png

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Its not much different than "um", "you know", "so" and other similar utterances. They are placeholders/crutches some people use as they speak, especially if they are unsure of themselves while speaking. Seems to differ from generation to generation.

Recently saw it illustrated by a 40+ year old professional doing a presentation for other professionals. His crutch was "actually". At one point he used it 4 times in the same sentence. I was so focused on the preponderance of "actuallys" that I couldn't focus on the information he was presenting. It was painful.

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
It blows my mind how much of this goes on with college level kids. It is really great to see a well spoken young person these days. Perhaps more "face time", even if it is a on a screen, and less screen texting will help correct this trend. ??

Do people realize that "I SEEN that boat go by yesterday" is actually wrong. I can understand if people say it once in a while, but there are people who actually use this word this way when writing.

This has been a good laugh for me so far. I am ashamed to say I am becoming quite the old grouch also.

SALE/SELL misuse is a real pet peeve for me. When I see "For Sell" or "I want to sale this" I just cringe a bit and hit the back button.

I know I sound like a grumpy old man (I am only 42) but how in the hell did the word "Like" become apart of grown mens English. Just listen to the most popular podcast out there, (their guest too) and just listen. Grown men, hunters full of moxy and grit, tuff guys and use the word "like" like little girls.

IT DRIVES ME FREAKN NUTS... I seriously have to limit listening or I will pick this nonsense up...

oh...."So" "So" is right behind it.... :eek:

Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I imagine what is currently happening to "our" English, is the same thing that has happened to the queens english.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk