Tow vehicle question

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get what some say about a gas 3/4 ton feeling weak with a load on it. The newer ones have 6 or 8 speed tranny (f150 is getting a 10 speed, maybe that will go in the f250?) Wich will greatly help to keep it in the power band.

bhylton

WKR
I would look at your half ton of choice, put in airbags in the rear for a few 100 $$ and get your new trailer as a 5th-wheel. a 1/2 ton with airbags and getting the weight up on your shoulders and i think you would be ok. they have plenty of power and good brakes. get your brake controller dialed in too. i diesel would be ideal, but getting a low mile one in your price range and model year will be tough i think.

edit: everyone is probably going to loose it for this idea but here we go. For that price range you could get into a really nice low mile 05-07 3/4 or 1-ton 6.0 powerstroke. everyone is so afraid of them. but i see more of those trucks as pull rigs for the guys who transport trailers across the country for a living than about anything. The trucks themselves are solid and the interiors on the lariat and king ranch are very nice. they get dang good mileage too. Even without the obvious engine mods people talk about the motor will hold fine if your keep the temps down. this is one example 447800 MILE EARLY 03 6 0L POWERSTROKE - YouTube . there are lots of loggers in my area that love the 6.0 too. just a thought...i know lots of people hate the 6.0 though ;)

Last edited:

kicker338

WKR
Will throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth LOL. First do your home work on the trailer, max weight fully loaded then add 500 lbs. to that as most guys will tend to overload some. Next max load on your truck fully loaded. Then you can do a 75% max of combined trailer and truck then you will have a good starting point. The 75% of max towing is a good one leaves you a little wiggle rum. Another good general rule is 7000lb. max with a properly equipped 1/2 ton. If you fall into the 7000lb. or under there are a lot of choices out there. If you go used look for one with a max of 75,000mi. on it and make sure it has the max tow package. If you go new and want the most power the ford eco boost is it with almost 500ft lbs of torque you wont run out of power. 3/4 ton and up simple go with a diesel.

OP
MuleyFever
Thanks for the info guys. I knew there would be some experience with this sort of thing on here. I think I will take a look at some of the diesel options. The higher miles make me nervous as I don't have any experience with a diesel but I see everyone says they can last a long time.

So like I said we are not in a hurry and don't need to do this right away. My idea right now of the size of the trailer may change as we will most likely buy used so if a good deal comes along we could jump on a larger trailer for a good price.

kicker338

WKR
The thing's to be aware of with diesels is higher truck cost, higher engine maint. cost and front suspension wear, some trucks are worse than others with the dodge's being the worst. Pretty common for the ball joints to go bad around 80,000mi. I retired as a commercial truck mechanic and reguarding these fantastic fuel mileage should be taken with a grain of salt. It takes a given amount of fuel to move a given amount of weight and there is no way around that. A couple of examples, my brother has a 97 ford diesel, 4-10 gears and 14 to 15 mbg. is all it will do. A friend of mine has a yr old ford diesel with the 6.7 empty nott bad but pulling a 25ft. 5th wheel about 15mpg. On the new diesels you have the deef fiasco and emisions nightmare. The place I worked at had about 50 new kenworths ond about 90% of warranty work was immisions related.

My self I spent way too much time with diesels, if I never see another one it will be too sone . If I can't pull it with a half ton I don't want it just me.

Brendan

WKR
A half ton will pull that weight, and will pull it fine, but it has to be the *right* half ton. Here's an example - I have a 1/2 ton 2011 F150 with their max tow package, the longest wheelbase available (Crew Cab 6.5' bed), and the EcoBoost. Tow rating is over 11,000 lbs. Has an integrated brake controller, trailer sway control. If tongue weight gets too high - load leveling hitch and you're good to go. The only problem with my setup is the gas mileage SUCKS with the gas engine and turbo when towing.

I would argue the most important things are first never exceeding the tow rating of the vehicle (75% max is a good target), the long wheelbase and a brake controller, loading the trailer correctly so you have enough tongue weight so it doesn't fishtail, followed by engine power. I think a diesel only pays off if you tow extremely heavy loads or tow a lot.

That's my 2 cents...

Thanks for the info guys. I knew there would be some experience with this sort of thing on here. I think I will take a look at some of the diesel options. The higher miles make me nervous as I don't have any experience with a diesel but I see everyone says they can last a long time.

The issues I've seen with higher mileage diesels on job sites isn't wearing the engine out.... it's wearing the rest of the truck out. Front ends need (very expensive) rebuilds, interiors get worn, minor electrical stuff quits working... etc. All highway miles can help a lot with that I'm sure, but that's not what I see.

I have a 08 ram 1500 with the 5.7, I don't know if the 3/4 ton has a better 5.7 but I am not a fan of the truck. I have had it for 3 years and I always miss my diesel. I average 11-12 mpg in the city and 14 on the highway and it just feels like a turd when going over the pass's in Wa.

Current 5.7L have quite a bit more hp and tq than the '08's and your 1500 likely has 3.55 gears. Not ideal for towing/hauling. Which brings up something else. If I was buying a gas rig for regular towing, I'd be looking for 4:10's. The 3.73 gears in my current rig does the trick, but no question the 4.10 pulls the hills a little better.

Still won't tow like a diesel obviously, but much better than an '08 1500.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned three 3/4 ton trucks the last three years. All Chevys my 08 and 13 would get 16-18 going 55-60. They pull just about anything. 5,000-7,000 pounds is nothing. You know it's back there but it pulls it pretty good. I just upgraded to a 15 diesel and so far really love it!

All trade offs! If you get a gas engine and a 4.11 rear end your economy will suffer all the time but your purchase and maintenance cost is less. I've got two 2015 Fords, an F350 Powerstroke and a F150 5.0 L king cab. Both get 20 mpg (<11.8 l/ 100 KM) empty. The diesel gets the towing and camper carrying duties.....and mileage drops to 12-14 mpg with a heavy cabover and cargo trailer behind. If I were you I'd get your camper and see how your F150 handles towing it. Make your decision after some experience with the camper you'll have for a while. Good luck!

Last edited:
I recently went through this same delima myself. I reached out to my friends who ranch and farm for a living and they all steered me to Diesel 2500 4x4. I did put airbags in the rear and they do help. Overall I tow this pig all over ID, MT, WY, OR, and WA and have no issues. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is the diesel exhaust, that thing is AMAZING! It really helps slow down the rig in a hurry and saves wear and tear on the brakes.

I moved up to the 2500 from a 2015 Chevy Silverado. You can instantly tell you are in a bigger, beefier, ride. It isn't as supple as the 1500 but when it comes to towing it leaves nothing to be desired. Also if you get a small trailer now you will invariably get something bigger in the future.

mtmuley

WKR
One other thing, a big diesel truck is pathetic off of anything but a smooth gravel road. Especially in deep snow. mtmuley

I drive an 03 Ram 3500 QCSB. It gets 18 mpg empty with my programer set on performance, 100hp, setting. This is where I get the best fuel mileage. Two years in a row, I've pulled a 22ft heavy, older camper out west for antelope hunts. On those trips I get around 10-12 mpg. Depends on which way the wind is blowing and if I'm heading west (uphill) or east (downhill). These are hand calculated numbers. The overhead consoles in these trucks are called lie-o-meters for reason.

Anyways, I've got 325,000 miles on the truck with plenty of life left in the drive train. The rest of the truck will rust away long before the motor wears out. Someone once said that when you buy from Dodge, you're buying the Cummins and Dodge gives you a piece of crap truck for free.

I guess I should have added, mine is a 5.9 Cummins with the NV4500 5 speed manual and 3:73 gears. Having the manual definitely adds to the longevity. Most people can put their own clutch in. It's a rare breed that can overhaul an automatic at home.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry, for being late....still trying to get a bear. I have a 2007.5 dodge srw 4 door 3500, 4x4. 6.7 with 3.73 gears and auto trans,exhaust brake. The engine has been deleted and flashed. If you live in a commy State get the 07 with the 5.9. When you delete the 6.7 if acts like a big 5.9. There is a big difference power wise. Get a good custom tune where you are not blowing fuel out of the tail pipe and leave your flat brim at home. If you keep your foot out of it....it will get great mpg. Now, dodges are known for front end issues...so keep that in mind.....just goes with the territory. Unless you go fummins....which if you are mechanically inclined I would do. A word of caution though. The new diesels suck! The cost of ownership is high and longevetity low.

Also, be careful with your tune....ypur trans is the weak link. You don't want to replace a trans every other year.....you just dont.

I'd go 3/4 ton, my dad has a 2017 F-150 and even with the high tow rating it really struggles towing our 27ft camper through town. You wouldn't have to necessarily get a diesel either, the 3/4 ton gas motors have came a long ways in the last several years. We just bought a 2017 Dodge Hemi with the 6.4 L motor last month and it does a fantastic job towing the camper. Even pulls the steep passes with ease no different than a diesel would, and we liked the price when comparing other brand new Dodge pickups. I also feel the 6.4 Hemi gets better gas mileage when towing than our 2013 Duramax did. Our Duramax mpg hovered around the 8-10 when towing and the Hemi is more like 10-12 which came a little shocking to me. For our needs I'm glad we stepped out of the Diesel and back into a Hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
if you're not towing a lot of miles or a ton of weight, I'd just suck it up and buy the gas. Diesels are quite a bit more up front cost and then maintenance on top of that. I get that it makes sense for some people, but if you're only talking a couple thousand miles/year and less than 7k lbs save your money and get gas. For towing anything significant, I wouldn't use a 1/2 ton. If you do, make sure to increase your insurance coverage beforehand. They'll tow it, but they can't control loads or stop them like the larger trucks. Stay safe.

On the flip side, I bought my diesel 5 years before I ever really planned on towing anything. I still don't even own a camper. We take my brothers out west.

I bought a diesel for there longevity. And the 325,000 miles on my Dodge proves I was right. The half ton Dodge I had before that was needing a motor overhaul at 160,000.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I pull a 26ft jayco that weighs 5000 dry and about 6200 ready to camp. My tow,vehicle is a 2007 toyota tundra with 4.7 v8. Truck pulls it fine. No mods to truck other than trailer brake system installed. A good weight distributing hitch makes a huge difference. I've towed this set up quite a few places. Definitely likes the high RPMs when climbing steep grades, but I've never red lined and I'm able to go 50mph up even the steepest hills. On the interstate I keep it at 63-65mph and stay in the right lane. Average mpgs is about 9 in my truck. A little less when going up mtn, a little more when going to beach. Nearly all half tons now a days will,comfortably tow 5-7k without much of a thought.

Tod osier

WKR
I would try It and see if you like it. Good brake controller (if the truck doesn't have one already) and weight distributing hitch and tires and see how you like it. It is hard to say if you will be happy without being you, the truck will do it, but you will know the trailer is there. I tow about 5000# with my 5.7 tundra 4.3 axle and that is a great match. I put on quite a few miles towing (13K this year) and like the combo. I would accept less capacity if I was towing within a state, not going cross country.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you're primarily a flat-lander, I'd get the 3/4 ton. You'll appreciate the extra torque going up steep grades. Compare torque ratings and consider where in the RPM band the peak torque is made. Some engines make a lot of torque, but only if you're wound up pretty high. Functional torque is what you're after. Personally, I prefer gas engines simply because they are lighter / more nimble in less than ideal conditions and they do better in really cold weather. Newer diesels are better than they used to be, with respect to the cold weather, but you still have to be careful about making sure your fuel is treated for a low enough temp or you'll gel up.