Things to see and do around Austin, TX

SWVA_Tim

WKR
Wife and I are taking a trip to Austin next month and are looking for things to see/do and places to eat? I'm going to be in class for 2 days, but after that we are doing a roadtrip somewhere. I'd like to head toward San padre .... neither one of has ever been to the area and we are open to about anything cool see to or fun to do. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions... Thanks!

Trying to bank some brownie points for later this year !!

Johnboy

WKR
I visited my cousin down there a few weeks ago. I definitely recommend checking out some world class BBQ in that area. We went to a place called "Salt Lick" and another called "Black's BBQ". I'm not a foodie, but those two places cause me to consider becoming one.

Beendare

WKR
Eat great mexican and BBQ, drink beer ...... and kill some hogs.

Bring your wife or GF for some extra curricular activity and you have all 4 bases covered....

OP
SWVA_Tim

SWVA_Tim

WKR
Looking forward to the food !

I would love to bust a couple hogs but I'm frayed that would not help out the brownie points!!

I can do without the hipster stuff we live next to a college town I get my fill of that on a regular basis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Camping and cliff jumping at pace bend park. Watch the lady joggers at ladybird lake. Other than that the place is a nightmare.

PF_JM

FNG
Things to do around Austin.... go to New Braunfels. Better live music, just as good Mexican food and BBQ, less traffic, plenty of scenery and no lines full of hipsters. Float the Guadalupe River, go to Schlitterbahn, Gruene Hall, camp on River Road. I guess if you have to be in Austin, hit up Freedmans BBQ, check out South Congress and downtown are, Zilker Park, take a dip in Barton Springs, kayak on ladybird lake, check out UT Campus, see some live music. A lot of historic music venues and resteraunts downtown.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Go catch you a texas/red dirt music show, get some barbecue, float the river.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
I'd put float trip up there

If you're road tripping, a night at the San Antonio riverwalk would score some points with the wife

Rick

FNG
I moved from Austin ten years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed since then. I would always take visiting guests to tour the Capital building. Lots of cool history stuff to see there if you like that kind of thing. You can walk in any time and free tours.

If the bats are there you can go for evening drinks or dinner at one of the restaurants on Town Lake to see them fly out. It's kind of interesting but you won't need to see it more than once. I saw it several times with out of town visitors of course.

Dinner at the Oasis would probably score big brownie points. Look it up.

Riverwalk in San Antonio would probably be good brownie points also and if you went for a half day trip you could stop at Gruene on the way. It is kind of a touristy walk through little town.

These guys are much more knowledgeable than I but I agree with the Riverwalk in San Antonio and lots of BBQ on the way to the Gulf Coast for some beach and breeze. My wife would enjoy the beach and I would get in the water to escape the June sun in south TX. Probably be a little less humid than it will be here next month. Have a good trip

Drive through Lockhart TX on the way into Austin and visit Smitty's and Blacks BBQ it's the best EVER. I would skip SA river walk. Go see live music at the Continental Club on Congress St. paddle boarding on the lake is fun. Tubing on the river in New Braunfuls. Rainey St is close to Downtown and full of places for drinks and just hanging out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlmtx01

FNG
If you get south towards new braunfels, I would go to Gruene Hall in Gruene. It's one of the oldest dance halls in Texas.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
motogp.
i.e, if you are into motorcycles, even if you are not, it will be fun.

it's a racing spectacle like no other.