Miserable day

Take a Kid fishing.

I introduced myself to all of you a couple months ago and told you the story about losing my 8 year old son Wyatt. Well tomorrow is the one year anniversary of his death. I am so sad. But what I want to share is the amazing times we had together. I hunt often. I am blessed to be married to an amazing woman who gets that hunting is what makes me who I am. As such I have a pretty damn good hall pass. I have always believed that there was no excuse to not take my boys hunting and fishing with me as much as possible. Sure there have been trips that were too long, or too extensive to involve the boys but for the most part if it was semi local, and they didn't miss too much school. They went with me. I have taken both my sons hunting in a jogging stroller. They have caught fish adults dream of, they have hunted ducks with me on days you can only imagine. They have fly fished, jigged, trolled, and fought fish in the corners of North America. I love those memories. I am certain I missed out on some opportunities to bag an animal because i had a 4 year old in tow. But I don't care. The animals I was able to shoot, the fish i was able to catch and the pictures I was able to take are all worth anything I sacrificed to have that time with my sons. My oldest son Shane is already a pretty bad ass hunter and fisherman. He will be teaching us how to be successful soon. He is that good. It is scary. When we go on offshore boats he ends up out fishing everyone. We are applying all over the western US to try and get him an elk this year. I like our chances. If we draw nothing we will go to Oregon for archery season and hunt hard.
We are losing hunting and fishing in America through attrition. yes there are some demographics where it is increasing but generally every year there are less hunting licenses sold. So on this day when I am feeling pretty sad I ask a favor. Take a kid fishing, sign them up for a hunter safety class, take them to the range, shoot some arrows, or go for a scouting drive for this years big game season. Get a kid in the field.

Thanks for taking a minute or two to read this. I hope the big game gods are good to all of you and you are all getting amazing notices in the mail soon with dream tags attached. Be safe, hug your kids and your family and live like there is no tomorrow.

20131208_095119.jpg
20140718_170520.jpg
20131208_093321.jpg
20141206_123425.jpg

Attachments

• 20151122_102551.jpg
    20151122_102551.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Amazing pictures and memories for sure. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
Thank you for sharing. It remind us to enjoy our moments with the kids.

I have friends in simular situations and as a parent it has to be the greatest fear I have. I am glad you are talking about it, as painful as it must be but those pictures and your memories celebrate a wonderful life. God bless you all

Man I'm sorry about the loss of your son. I dont have kids of my own so I cant imagine how that feels. I did lose my youngest brother almost 6 years ago and know the pain of the day before and the day of that terrible day. I hope you have all your family close to you today and especially tomorrow. Always think of those times outdoors you had with your son. Those memories are what help me get through tough days, and they will help you as well. Thanks for posting those great photos.

elkduds

WKR
H45: So very sad and sorry for your loss. Nothing compares w losing a child. I hope you have found others that have some experience w that unique level of pain and sorrow, they can really help. After time, you may have strength and compassion to share w those who will experience what you are experiencing.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are a brave man to open yourself up in this manner and you are obviously a great dad. No words can make sense of the loss you experienced and memories of your son are a treasure indeed.

The outdoors is quite therapeutic and hopefully you and Shane have many happy adventures down the road to help heal your family as much as possible.

I remember reading the post where you spoke about your son, I can't imagine what you've experienced, and I hope none of us ever do. I know for me, the anniversary of my mother's death was difficult, and it took me a few years to get comfortable with some of the littlest things that reminded me of her. My only suggestion to you is to be strong for him and remember the wonderful times and experiences you shared as a father and son.

Last edited:
OP
Huntindog45
Well like i needed more drama... this is what happens when an arrow shatters when you shoot your bow. No broken bones but it hurts like hell

563e647c9860aa552e87d8ec0491d4f8.jpg
0264521e040ed96538337c3885830a2c.jpg

warrior80

WKR
Shoot man. I hope you're okay. This happened to my buddy last year two days before his hunt. He was still able to shoot but it damaged the tendon. He had to get surgery to get most of the carbon fragments out of his hand. Hopefully yours didn't leave too many in there. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Huntindog45
Shoot man. I hope you're okay. This happened to my buddy last year two days before his hunt. He was still able to shoot but it damaged the tendon. He had to get surgery to get most of the carbon fragments out of his hand. Hopefully yours didn't leave too many in there. Best of luck to you.

Yah i have a surgery scheduled tomorrow to get the carbon fragments out

OP
Huntindog45
Grand scheme of things it could have been a lot worse. I am shocked my bone is not broken. Some serious pain

My condolences. I can't fathom the trial of burying one's child. It makes my head spin.

The next chance I get to fish or shoot with my son and daughter, I shall think of you and yours. Stay strong and faithful.

ethan

WKR
I can't imagine going through such a loss. Thank you for sharing and God bless!

Takem

WKR
I'm sorry for your loss. While I can't imagine losing one of my kids I have suffered enough loss in my life to know how hard it can be to deal with. Stay strong and thank you for sharing the story and great pictures. Good luck with that arm.

That's a tear jerker bud. So sorry for your loss and so happy you're doing well with the arrow injury. Your boys are blessed to call you 'DAD'!

16Bore

WKR
Life is short and meant to be lived. The last time I ever saw my sister was on a Skeet field. Died 3 months later of a sudden brain aneurism. Like flipping a light switch.

If I could have her back for one day, that's exactly where we'd be. I'd almost bet the same scenario would go for your boy.

Memories do last forever....