Let's see your home away from home (cabin)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks guy's. No one has any recreational property/cabin photos they would like to post?

We have a cabin in Cantwell, but its in the middle of a neighborhood and not much to look at. :) T-111 siding and pink (yes pink trim that we was painted that way when we bought it) trim. :)

OP
AK Troutbum
They show up as links on my end. I clicked the "attach image" icon and select the files and they never show up as images. Is there some trick to the "attach image" button I'm missing?

I have some pretty cool pics of a cabin I built in 2006 on the peninsula of Alaska, just below Ugashik lake. Pretty different building a cabin 120 miles from the nearest road. We shipped everything out of Utah, to Seattle and then put it on a boat to King Salmon Alaska and then barged it 27 miles up the river when the tide was high. Neat experience.

I usually just post phone pictures using Tapatalk. I have posted pics from my computer, but it's been a while. I don't remember it being too difficult though. I have also been lazy and just took pictures, with my cell phone, of photographs and then posted them using Tapatalk. It's obviously not great quality by any means, but it works in a pinch.

Back in the mid 90's I helped a buddy of mine build a cabin out in King Salmon, on Naknek lake, but it was just from a kit, so not very unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I still can't post pic's(it's a old timer thing) so I'll describe my home away from home. It's in my back yard and it's about 4'X4' my dog sleeps in it unless my wife sends me out for the night, which is most nights. She thinks Rokslide has a lot to do with the situation 😩.

vanish

WKR
AK Troutbum - I could be completely off base here, but I feel like the average person on Rokslide is "young"; 25-40 or so. I'm in the upper end of that bracket, I have a very good career, I'm thrifty (we have two cars with >160k miles) and I have nowhere near enough money to own a cabin these days.

When I was growing up in WNY, my dad, all my uncles and their friends had cabins. I had access to so many cabins, I didn't know what tent camping was (I eventually learned how to tent camp, and it sucks in the East due to humidity, but we do it all the time here in CO). Not one of those cabins has passed on to the next person in the family.

My dad sold his cabin in WNY to move to CO in 2012. He had bought it in 1987 for $30k, including 20 acres, a pond and a 3 bedroom "cabin". I may have a photo, I'll try to find it. Pure inflation would put that property at $64k today (we did put a good amount of work into it, but its also 20 years older...) - but it sold again this year for $180k.

Now, out here in Colorado, there's a bit of a different story. So much of the good cabin land is covered by huge ranches. I'm not saying its a problem, because in WNY it got a bit silly having a cabin every 1/4 mile, but trying to get a piece of property costs $$$. Small parcels in "cabin country" usually start around $10,000 an acre, with larger ones dropping closer to $3,000, but you're talking at least 100 acres to get to that. If its got a structure on it, even a crappy one, that number goes way up. We get so many retiring baby boomers here that can afford it - but a "young" person trying to support a family is lucky if he can find a house to afford around here.

I know of one person in my circle of friends in that 25-40 bracket that has a cabin in Colorado. It was his great-great-grandfather's property.

ISglb7qa6y6jkz.jpg

Last edited:

530Chukar

WKR
Here's our cabin on Mount Shasta in California.
5ee6be6303e0321c284f549048bfd217.jpg

vanish

WKR
If you use "Go Advanced" - attachments section and "Insert Inline" uploading seems to work ok. Every time I try to add photos using the Quick Reply I get Attachment invalid.

I helped build this one back in highschool. Interior Alaska.

We hand logged all the beetlekill spruce for that thing using crosscut saw and axes. Surprising how fast several teenagers with sharp tools can process a tree. Not a location with a lot of good timber so we roamed far and wide to find those trees. Drug them back one at a time with a 340 Polaris snowmachine.

Another cabin on the same lot is going on the forth generation of use. My daughter on the porch last year.

This one isn't mine, but I spent plenty of time in it one summer in the Alaska Range. Made out of some VERY skinny trees, so it's actually smaller than it looks. Only about 5.5' walls there. Some memories made there. Heard a thump on the porch one night and looked out over my sons crib to see a black bear against the window. ha! Ended well enough and the bear hide is in my house, but there was some tense moments there till we sorted it out.

Laid the foundations for another one this last fall in the White Mountains. Should be a fun place to take the family in a couple years.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
10.jpg061607-5.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

Here's a few pics of the one my brother and I helped build for some friends in Alaska. Holy crap building 100's of miles from a lumber yard is expensive and a ton of work. I can't imagine doing one all "by hand". We had chain saws and power tools, but we had to hand dig all the infrastructure. I sure hate alder roots.....and permafrost.

Wife and I just sold our camp trailer. Considering buying a cabin instead of another trailer. These pics are starting to sway my decision.

45caf3dce8fb4f71a731a5ccea9e2b4c.jpg

3bd41d41470cca3a253ff71088185ecf.png

Northern New Mexico family cabin. Borders the Sargent Wilderness where I had my first successful elk hunt. That's one of my boys in the second pic.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
...just a podunk cabin in the country, away from NYC and Palm Beach... it's a step down of course and I'm almost embarrassed to bring my friends there, but hey, a quick helicopter ride and we can be in Camp David in the mountains!

White%20House_zps4uwhksxy.jpg.html

Attachments

• White House.jpg
    White House.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
My hunting cabin except I sold the truck and it's now sitting on industrial pallets by the deer woods (at least until the next tornado takes it into Arkansas). I always get a terrific sleep in this camper.