Newb with gaiter question

whaack

WKR
So still sorting through my gear for my first elk trip to CO this year.

Brief overview, dyi archery backpacking trip in west elk wilderness.

I've done a couple dry runs with my gear and everything is awesome. One issue.

I have the new Sitka Thunderhead gaiters. Bought l/xl based on size chart and they seem big. Then bought l/m and they seem to fit better but still the tops only come to mid calf. Is this an issue? Is this what's causing them to slide down my leg? I'm 6'2" and wondering if I need a talker gaiter that comes up over the top of my calf to keep it in place. Thoughts?

I personally prefer Kenetrek gaiters for a standard weather resistant gaiter. Turtle skin makes the best snake proof gaiter.

Both cover your whole shin and calf. These are the areas I prefer to have coverage on against brush.

Mid or low profile gaiters can result in lots of issues. They move around more and allow debris to fall between the gaiter and your pants.

I would also recommend knee pads for archery hunting.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I use the first lite brambler gaiters and have had the outdoor research crocodile gaiters as well. Personally I would recommend a gaiter that comes up to just below the knee with a cinching strap and/or elastic to help keep them tight up top. I brought these instead of rain pants and they served me well for that purpose and with the height of the grass and brush were tall enough to keep my pants dry will walking in the morning dew.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Sitka Stormfront gaiters, and according to size chart, I needed the L/XL so that's what I ordered. When I opened the package, I thought "Wow these things sure look big". I put on my hunting pants (Sitka Ascent), and my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, then put the gaiters on. They fit perfectly. When I put a layer on under the Ascents, they will be fine. I think they only come in two sizes, and if I would have got the smaller size, they wouldn't have fit.
The way mine are made, if they are a little big, I can tighten the draw string at the top, but if they are too small, they wouldn't work.

I've only hunted elk and deer in CO, NM, and NV. There have only been a few times when the morning dew was heavy and I had a lot of walking to do through thick grass that made me wish I had brought gaiters. The other 98% of the time there wasn't a need. Certainly the guys on the coast or northern Idaho/Montana might need them.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but here is a first time elk hunter asking about gaiters and my thought is not to bother with them. Are gaiters necessary for a first time elk hunter? There are a LOT more important things to worry about in my opinion.

I'm in Curt's camp. Unless hunting Oregon, Washington, or somewhere else that would require walking through wet grass, waterproof gators are a luxury item in my opinion. For keeping debri out of my boots, the waterproof gator is over kill. So, I wouldn't be packing them for a Colorado wilderness elk hunt.

To the Op's question. In my experience, a gator meant for waterproofing needs to come up to the bottom of the knees. No since in wearing them for that purpose if they don't. Nor, will they stay put unless they do.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in Curt's camp. Unless hunting Oregon, Washington, or somewhere else that would require walking through wet grass, waterproof gators are a luxury item in my opinion. For keeping debri out of my boots, the waterproof gator is over kill. So, I wouldn't be packing them for a Colorado wilderness elk hunt.

To the Op's question. In my experience, a gator meant for waterproofing needs to come up to the bottom of the knees. No since in wearing them for that purpose if they don't. Nor, will they stay put unless they do.
Do you have a gator that comes to your knee and have you used them extensively?
I almost always use a short gator( Sitka flash) most times but will use a taller one if dealing with snow. I agree it's not going to be that big of a deal. Gator should fit your boot well and be adjustable on the calf most I've seen are to stiff to just fall down

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I'm tall too...... and have owned a 1/2 dozen gaiters over the years...hunted the rockies every year for 3 decades.

My take;
I wear gaiters a lot.

I currently use the short stretch gaiters [OR, Kuiu] most days on archery elk/deer hunts in the rockies....and about 1/2 the time on pig hunts here in Ca. Then on wet days use the tall Kuiu gaiter. I haven't tried the Kennetrek gaiter but know a few guys that have them- good stuff. They have a wire stiffener or something that helps keep them up....a winning design. The others have a strip of stiff fabric, some not stiff enough......and gaiters like the OR's don't stay up on me.

Now the problem for us tall guys might be that I have a big foot [14] so I need a big gaiters so it fits my boot....but then its too sloppy on my leg. They need to be snug on your lower leg to be effective. Also, if the gaiter doesn't go over your calf...its a non starter as even if you snug them down they don't stay up due to the tapering of your leg.

FYI, the tall gaiters are great in cold, wet, snow.....but are too warm on bluebird days and are noisy. Not a necessary piece of gear for many guys. When you are tall, the hem of our pants are a tad short, the gaiter helps keep your socks clean from stickers and such, and less moisture wicking down into your boots. A guy with an extra inch of hem on his pants doesn't need a gaiter as much as taller guys.

Yes. A pair of outdoor research. Which is why I posted what I posted. I also have 3 pairs of shorter canvas and rips top gators I use for dry conditions. When cruising timber. Which is also why I posted what I posted.

No Sitka's, KUIU's or anything like that. But, they'd last about two weeks in the briars and tangles a Forester spends his time in.

Guff

FNG
I am heading to Eastern Oregon for my first trip out west next season. How important will gaiters will be? Early September is when I am going.

Last edited:

Rmauch20

WKR
Are used a pair of outdoor research Rocky Mountain gators, and love them. It snowed opening morning on us and I wore them the next four days, they worked great no signs of wear and Kept my pants and boots dry. I contemplated even taking them but after this year I won’t go on a trip without them.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
The wilderness area I guided in this year, in Colorado, I wore my gaiters almost every day for a month, we got into some high grass marshy meadows and some rainy days and I was damn glad I had some in the pack. I used the Sitka Stormfronts this year as well. I guess I'd say mixed reviews on them, they performed really well but I did feel they were noisy, could just be me as I'm a tad anal about unnatural noise. Once we got through some of the marshy areas I'd try to take a few minutes to slip them off before I set up for calling. I kinda feel that they're a good item to carry in the pack, especially if you're in for an extended period, more than a couple days, and they really don't weigh that much.