What the fudge MTN OPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fifteen dollar stickers? Really? Charging customers for advertising is reprehensible.
I really like all of the MTN OPS products I have tried and tell everyone to give the company a shot, but this gives me pause...
Obviously I don't have to buy these stickers as someone is sure to point out, its just that when I like a product and even more so when I like how the company behind that product handles things, I want to support them any way I can. I will buy the logo'ed merch and wear it proudly and if some one asks about the logo im wearing I will tell them about it, providing free advertising because i'm a happy customer -business 101. with stickers, usually they come free the purchase of a product or sometimes at a small price - I don't mind paying a little for a company to put its advertisement on my vehicle if I really like the product- but never in my days as a gear junky have I seen a $15.00 sticker. It seems indulgent and greedy to TRY (optimal word here) to cash in on customers and fans like that. first world problems.
.LARGE ICON DECAL – MTN OPS

colonel00

WKR
I think I get where you're coming from. I laugh when I see people selling sticker (kifaru) in the classifieds and apparently people buy them. That said, it's a simple choice, don't buy the sticker. Let the customers dictate the market.

Just an add from a business perspective, the stickers, while they do advertise, reach a limited audience and do cost a bit of money. No questioning that $15 is steep but I can onlyl assume that the stickers are not in their business model. They are not a sticker retailer, they are a supplement provider. Their business model is about the supplements, not the ancillary stuff that 10% (pure liberal guess) of customers want to buy.

I bet (purely guessing here) that if you placed an order and asked them. they'ed probably send you stickers. I stopped by the Kifaru "store" last summer and they had a stack of stickers that people sell for $5 a pop in the classifieds. For small businesses, it all comes down to the cost of creation, manufacturer, storage and shipping of that simple little sticker. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
I don't understand the company at all. Overpriced junk (even the stickers I guess) but alot of people buy their stuff. To each his own I guess.. :confused:

chasewild

WKR
The stickers gave you pause? It's not the hoards of Mountain Warriors with face paint, or the flat caps, or HUSHIN, or #bowhuntingsucks?

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
All one has to do it drive through Northern Utah a little and you immediately realize the magnitude of the market for big stickers and flat-brim hats. Ribbing aside, I am a fan of Mtn. Ops. I use several of their products regularly and have been super impressed with their customer service. Their products are functional, and of good quality. I realize you can get similar products for slightly less money but I think it's important to support businesses that support hunting and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by choosing Mtn. Ops over others.

Are they still doing that Mtn Ops militia deal for people who really want to be their billboards?

NoWiser

WKR
What's funny is that I'll never even try their product because of the company's obnoxious advertising. That and Emergen C electro mix is 20% the cost and already comes in small packets perfect for throwing in my pack.

If someone wants to pay $15 for a gigantic sticker that fills up the whole back window of their truck so be it, it's their choice. As for the other attacks about the flat-bills and whatnot, I get it that they are easy to make fun of for us more seasoned folks but I think what these companies are doing is great for the future of hunting. Guys like the Mtn Ops dudes, the Hush crew and even Zac#bowhuntingsucks are superstars on Instagram and with their new generation marketing are making hunting cool again for the young crowd. In a day in age where it seams every young kid wants to wear skinny jeans and be a vegan it is refreshing to see such a renewed enthusiasm for hunting and the outdoors. As a father of a young boy who worries about the future outdoor opportunities for him, it is refreshing to see these guys not only making hunting cool but pushing the right agenda such as supporting BHA and talking about public land issues. If it takes annoying things like flat-bills and giant stickers to get there I'll deal with it.

The stickers gave you pause? It's not the hoards of Mountain Warriors with face paint, or the flat caps, or HUSHIN, or #bowhuntingsucks?

This.

I'll add that their customer service has been garbage for me, and their supplements are overhyped (see above) and overpriced. Much higher quality products for similar pricing is available IMO.

I have to disagree with the member who likes the revitalization that this has provided to hunting. They have turned hunting into something "fashionable" and "trendy". Like man buns and fixed gear bicycles. They aren't attracting people with longevity or those who are interested in the conservation efforts. They appeal to people who want tricked out jacked up trucks, flat bill hats, and crazy custom paint jobs on their bows. It's not a lifestyle to them, it's another way to represent themselves fashionably, like accessories. They all want to be "sponsored" and get free gear, not be stewards of the land. They want to take pictures for Facebook and Instagram (most of which are of their gear) and go to trade shows to brag to others about going to trade shows. I personally despise what it's done, and is doing, to hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

WKR
I don't understand the company at all. Overpriced junk (even the stickers I guess) but alot of people buy their stuff. To each his own I guess.. :confused:

They probably figure they can make some extra $$ buy selling stickers to guys that just pretend they use the overpriced junk to look hardcore to others.

The generational gap will always be a thing, it's a pretty generic way to rationalize your argument if you ask me. The older generations will always find something to complain about with the younger, it's a tale as old as time. I'm sure when you were a kid, the old guys couldn't find anything wrong with how you acted... There are a lot of assumptions being made here.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
This.

I'll add that their customer service has been garbage for me, and their supplements are overhyped (see above) and overpriced. Much higher quality products for similar pricing is available IMO.

I have to disagree with the member who likes the revitalization that this has provided to hunting. They have turned hunting into something "fashionable" and "trendy". Like man buns and fixed gear bicycles. They aren't attracting people with longevity or those who are interested in the conservation efforts. They appeal to people who want tricked out jacked up trucks, flat bill hats, and crazy custom paint jobs on their bows. It's not a lifestyle to them, it's another way to represent themselves fashionably, like accessories. They all want to be "sponsored" and get free gear, not be stewards of the land. They want to take pictures for Facebook and Instagram (most of which are of their gear) and go to trade shows to brag to others about going to trade shows. I personally despise what it's done, and is doing, to hunting

But if 20% of those guys do become stewards of the land, its a net gain. So even though it kinda annoys me (which probably speaks to my own prejudices to be honest, as these people dont effect me at all), I look at it as a net positive for hunting.

MTN OPS... I dont understand that at all. It costs way more than their competitors. I am all about supporting hunting companies... until they want to gouge me for being a hunter.

chasewild

WKR
This.

I have to disagree with the member who likes the revitalization that this has provided to hunting. They have turned hunting into something "fashionable" and "trendy". Like man buns and fixed gear bicycles. They aren't attracting people with longevity or those who are interested in the conservation efforts. They appeal to people who want tricked out jacked up trucks, flat bill hats, and crazy custom paint jobs on their bows. It's not a lifestyle to them, it's another way to represent themselves fashionably, like accessories. They all want to be "sponsored" and get free gear, not be stewards of the land. They want to take pictures for Facebook and Instagram (most of which are of their gear) and go to trade shows to brag to others about going to trade shows. I personally despise what it's done, and is doing, to hunting .

This is an outstanding post.

thank you for pointing out the obvious. I think that the supplements are great. I have never used them, but through college athletics and now my new athletic endeavors I have seen how they can help.

People that actually think that Mountain Ops or any of the others actually developed a system specifically for hard core mountain hunters is crazy. They re-branded the same stuff you can get at any supplement store and marketed it to a growing cult of "hardcore" hunters. Its a genius business model.... but lets not give them too much credit.

I was jsut discussing this with the owner of a supplement shop i know that is about to release his own personal line of supplements... you think he developed and did the R and D? hahaha

JOe

But if 20% of those guys do become stewards of the land, its a net gain. So even though it kinda annoys me (which probably speaks to my own prejudices to be honest, as these people dont effect me at all), I look at it as a net positive for hunting.

MTN OPS... I dont understand that at all. It costs way more than their competitors. I am all about supporting hunting companies... until they want to gouge me for being a hunter.

You're right. I was thinking in "all or nothing" terms and assuming that most of these guys will drop the hobby of hunting in a matter of time. You're right that if we get even 10 new hunters, who then go on to become advocates for our sport to increase more interest, then it has been a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.