Bear charges Bowhunter....

Jimbob

WKR
All of a sudden he was in a bad situation. I guess he was hoping the bear would turn broadside before getting closer? Once it kept coming down the road he decided to try and scare it away but I guess scaring a bear when it is only 10 or so yds away is not a good idea. In that situation I think i would have just sat tight and let the bear walk by.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Didn't sound like he was trying to scare it. Sounded like he was just screaming as he was crapping his pants.

Anyone notice the cub across the road about 19-22 seconds in while the hunter is waving his recurve limb tip around? Upper left part of screen. She was protecting the offspring with the "Charge". Bail out if you ever see a cub around!

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watched about four times I didn't see anything that looked like a cub.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
Which is why I always have a revolver on my chest......always.

You must be like Billy the kid be the fastest gun in the west!!!! Very very few men would be able to draw and shoot accurately enough to shoot that bear when he decided to charge especially when both your hands are on a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
You must be like Billy the kid be the fastest gun in the west!!!! Very very few men would be able to draw and shoot accurately enough to shoot that bear when he decided to charge especially when both your hands are on a bow.

Perhaps if he had a handgun, he would have had it at high ready, rather than holding a camera.

I would've drawn long before any video was taken.

MtnOyster

WKR
I didn't see anything that looked like a cub either, when it happened it happened fast but I think he had time to put a broadhead through it if hed stayed ready, when they're slowly moving toward you like that acting like they aren't paying attention to you you better be paying attention to them,

LandYacht

WKR
Anyone notice the cub across the road about 19-22 seconds in while the hunter is waving his recurve limb tip around? Upper left part of screen. She was protecting the offspring with the "Charge". Bail out if you ever see a cub around!

I think what you are seeing as a cub is a leaf on the end of a stick just in front of him. It looks like it crosses the road as the camera is lowered.

Perhaps if he had a handgun, he would have had it at high ready, rather than holding a camera.

I would've drawn long before any video was taken.

This. Billy the kid has nothing to do with it, but situational awareness and priorities do. He was more worried about that video than his life.....and that was obvious. He obviously was not hunting bear or he would have shot it with his bow while it was at a safer distance before it closed the gap. I'm no Billy the kid, but I'm no dumbass Canadian either. He should have put down the bow and camera when he saw the bear and picked up his sidearm. Go Canada, apparently I value my life more than you do yours.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
A couple observations;
Anyone that has hunted these bears knows they like walking the side of roads for the reseeded clover and green grass. So it shouldn't have been a surprise this bear was going to walk the edge of this road.

If the bowhunter didn't want that close of a shot, he could have dipped into the slash a little further- say a 15-20 yd shot. Assuming he had the wind right; I do think if he would have just hunkered down the bear would have walked right past him for a layup quartering away shot. If you are going to be a stickbow guy, close shots are your bread and butter....not everyone is cut out for this.

The other thing I thought was totally wrong was his first outburst. It was more of a growl at the bear.....probably the last thing I would want to sound like in that situation.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say it wasn't this guy's first rodeo with bears. He held his composure until things went south. Being a Canadian he doesn't even own a side arm but he is still out there on foot with a recurve bow trying to get close. Sometimes you can be to close

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk