Where to retire?!

dotman

WKR
I have a very long time until I'll even get to consider retirement but I'm already looking. Hard to judge what the state of things will be in 20 years but I have found a few areas in CO that I'm really liking as far as cost of living, weather and ability to be away from crowds to a point yet still within an hour of medical services and 2 hours for major medical.

I grew up in MT and to live in the mountains there is just too expensive due to all the transplants. I need to research ID more and I'm not sure windy WY has decently priced mountain areas within proximity of medical and other services that I would consider affordable but I haven't really researched it.

Part of my retirement planning is to buy some ground now.

VernAK

WKR
I was in your situation 20 years ago......the first issue is getting out of Anchorage!

Small town Alaska is a much nicer life with hunting near by. I did the winters in Old Mexico thing and it's not what it once was and may get worse with Trump's border policies.

About 10yrs left for me. Planning to find a suburb around Denver to accommodate my wife's need for city life and my need for the mtns. Good enough to keep us both happy.....I think

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
About 10yrs left for me. Planning to find a suburb around Denver to accommodate my wife's need for city life and my need for the mtns. Good enough to keep us both happy.....I think

I'm in the same boat in a sense, my wife is 12 years younger than me and will want to keep working. And she enjoys getting to events and social things as well. I have hunted Wyoming and Montana every year for the last seven, and like both. A friend and coworker retired to Flathead Lake about 8 years ago and I fell in love with the place too, and have been looking for property there ever since. Finally getting serious about the search, and like to hear the other options too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo V

WKR
Wyoming is hard to beat! I'm from Colorado, there's too much traffic here and the taxes are ridiculous.

Gobbler36

WKR
In my Australian state we have 12 month seasons on deer with no tag limits for all species but 1, and millions of acres of public land. Couple that with a 3 month duck and quail season for $80 year and it's good deal.
Fresh and salt water fishing 12 month license is about $30.

Just sayin :D
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wow I know where I'll be headed in 30 years!

JWP58

WKR
I think far west Texas would be pretty sweet. Maybe Alpine. Or even a further east towards Junction/Kerrville if you wanted warmth. For seasons Boise would be pretty awesome.

There's really no public land in this state (and it doesn't get any better in most of the southeast) so no freelance hunting unless your duck hunting the coast and reservoirs. There's good fishing on the coast, but with it being a warm climate fishery, it gets a little slow around the winter time.

I mean you could always do the deer lease thing everybody does, and there's some good duck hunting to be had. And heck I say the fishing slows down but there's always something that will at least bite as long as its not a bad weather day, and on those days you should be duck hunting in the winter.

I know I contradict myself but it's about as honest as I can make it sound

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

When deer season ends in late Jan it's still duck and quail season, once those end it's trophy gator mouthed trout season. Note that I'm excluding Axis/hog season

To the OP--- in lower 48 out side of Texas 365 day hunting season, I'd pick Idaho. Great people and great OTC tag options

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Don't they have like "stricter than California" gun laws though?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
It's hard to have pistols or semi autos. Other than that it's fine. The anti mob always bang on about our gun laws, they're really not that bad though.

blackdawg

WKR
I would keep my property, taxes and residency in Alaska. Buy a nice toy hauler rig, park it in the lower 48, spend the best years of my retirement cherry picking the best hunting/fishing locations at the peak times all over North America. Need to stock up on some salmon, halibut, moose or sheep meat, catch a flight back to the homestead at my convenience.

In my Australian state we have 12 month seasons on deer with no tag limits for all species but 1, and millions of acres of public land. Couple that with a 3 month duck and quail season for $80 year and it's good deal.
Fresh and salt water fishing 12 month license is about $30.

Just sayin :D

That sounds like paradise.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I would keep my property, taxes and residency in Alaska. Buy a nice toy hauler rig, park it in the lower 48, spend the best years of my retirement cherry picking the best hunting/fishing locations at the peak times all over North America. Need to stock up on some salmon, halibut, moose or sheep meat, catch a flight back to the homestead at my convenience.

That doesn't sound bad at all

bohntr

WKR
I researched this topic about two years ago, as I was approaching retirement. I wanted to be in a tax friendly (low) state, with exceptional bowhunting opportunities, centrally located to other western states, four seasons (reasonable winter without wind), gun carrying state, with record class big game animals. I had it narrowed down to Wyoming and Arizona.......the constant wind blowing in WY led me to the mountains of Eastern Arizona. I bought some acreage next to the national forest at 7100' elevation........I have elk in my meadow every night........BIG bulls during September. Within a mile or two of my property I've seen elk, mule deer, turkeys, antelope, predators, and a bear. Within 15 miles, I've also seen bighorn sheep and Coues Whitetail........plus over 15 mountain lakes that I can fish for trout, pike, walleye, and pan fish. In 10 months, I'll be have my home built there and become a full-time resident! :)