Where to retire?!

ZDR

WKR
Well, I have to go a different path. Check out NM, great hunting & fishing, skiing, weather...almost everything you could ask for. great public lands ranging from desert to alpine with large Elk herds and the deer hunting seems to be bouncing back to what it was when I was a kid growing up there.
z

I can totally understand the desire to get out of here for a few months every winter, but I don't know Matt, I think you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a better place to raise your kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
A lot can change before you retire but it is best to be thinking ahead. Political and economic scenes are changing rapidly so don't fix your decision too early.....be flexible! My siblings have told me to move back to our L48 home town but a weeks vist makes one realize you can't go back.

I just retired. I am headed out in my rv and will follow the weather fishing and hunting as I choose. I will be in the east cape of Baja for the winter. I am headed out on the 1st.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I can totally understand the desire to get out of here for a few months every winter, but I don't know Matt, I think you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a better place to raise your kids.

You are right, and we love alaska, and in truth the move is probably more like 12 years away. But I am a planner and so we'd like to have property bought and paid for and a plan in place when the time comes. My wife really wants sun, so another place that's good for families and includes sin will be in order : )

SE Ak or Vancouver Island for me. It's like living in a grocery store all 12 months of the year. I'm too into fishing to move away from the Shalish Sea and the hunting ain't too shabby either. There's also the fact I don't think I could live somewhere with no trees.

Just as long as the sun doesn't take us over like 72* :cool: .

Exactly, that is where I am too. That was the bigger problem in n evada. Lots of public land, mountains and water......but after about 0800....you didn't even want to look outside...lol.

At 54, I've been asking myself this same question, or should I just move in the near future and finish out my career. I've thought some fairly remote location would offer what I love, like many here. But what has also fell into my thought process is that as we age, we need our medical system more and more. So yes remote is nice, but a lack of a sufficient medical system is something necessary in my final location. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to live forever, or for our medical system to make extensive efforts in keeping me alive. I just to maintain a reasonable quality of life; and as we age, our medical system is necessary for that. Just food for thought guys, and gals.

efnm

WKR
I'm not even 40 yet but this idea is crossing my mind, too. I want someplace that is somewhat green (not desert), access to water for fishing, and practically immediate access to NF trails. That should not be hard to find, but I'm limiting myself to NM. I also agree that you should be somewhat close (< 1 hour) to good medical and not much more than that to an airport in case you want to travel or kids want to come visit.

I am in this as well, looking forward to retirement in about 4 to 5 years. One thing I am taking into consideration a lot are storms. Too many places look nice but if there is severe weather constantly, huge negative in the search. After living in the Great Lakes area thinking high humidity is a no

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
You are right, and we love alaska, and in truth the move is probably more like 12 years away. But I am a planner and so we'd like to have property bought and paid for and a plan in place when the time comes. My wife really wants sun, so another place that's good for families and includes sin will be in order : )

We bought about 25 acres in a nice little spot between the Clearwater and the Snake....about 35 miles from Lewiston. Great area. Got about 5 more years and we'll be moving on down. Love Alaska, and have lived here for about 30 years, but want to go some place where winter and darkness aren't so long. Also want to be able to hook up the boat and camper and take a stroll over to the Columbia basin...or ND...or.....to.....without having to drive 3 days just to get to America.

I am looking heavily at Oregon. I love public land hunting, I love the ocean and I am pretty fond of daylight. So Alaska would look good but that whole winter thing kind of gets to me. Oregon seems to have a little of everything for me.
that being said... 6 months in alaska and 6 months in Kona does not sound lilke it would suck. Would love to make that happen.

Billinsd

WKR
Retire where you're comfort and can live within your means then travel to hunt wherever you like.
Yes, and RV trailer and hunt where I chose. Especially, since I don't think my wife is going to want to move to where I want to move.

Billinsd

WKR
At 54, I've been asking myself this same question, or should I just move in the near future and finish out my career. I've thought some fairly remote location would offer what I love, like many here. But what has also fell into my thought process is that as we age, we need our medical system more and more. So yes remote is nice, but a lack of a sufficient medical system is something necessary in my final location. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to live forever, or for our medical system to make extensive efforts in keeping me alive. I just to maintain a reasonable quality of life; and as we age, our medical system is necessary for that. Just food for thought guys, and gals.
Yes, I'm 54 and have asthma, controlled most of the time and high blood pressure. I remember a guide in Northwestern Nevada tell me of the scary 170 mile ride to the nearest hospital in Reno with his wife when she had a appendicitis.