2017 Rokslide Spring bear hunt... Wolf down!

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with them getting service. It's cheaper than making sat phone calls!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's true but every device has its own drawbacks. We like having voice conversations too. I do like the inreach, in a perfect world I'd have both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Gerry got some sweet photos around camp. Here are a few of his.

Casey kept us well hydrated
DSC00483_zpsdphbsg13.jpg

Checking out Ryan's 28 Nosler
DSC00446_zpspgw1a6so.jpg

Matt in defensive mode.....
DSC00489_zpshykahizu.jpg

Bacon!
DSC00364_zpsxwb0d302.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I used to hate wolves! But as time has gone by I realize it's not the wolf's fault and they are just doing what an apex predator does best..... KILL! I do hate the ASSHOLES that decided to introduce a non-native species into an already overstressed ecosystem. If anything this hunt has fueled my fire to kill more wolves or at least step up my game on this badass predator.

The real hero's of this hunt are not Jeff or me; it's Jim(Slim Jim) for finding the wolves and Justin for haveing the call and knowing how to use it. Shooting is the easy part. So I give them all the credit.

The funny part to me was the day before Justin, and I killed the wolf. Jim said if someone sits up on the hill they will shoot a wolf. Justin says I have a fox pro. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking no way in hell, this will work:) But Justin and I decided to walk up there around 9 am, and I said we will have it killed by 10 am, and that's exactly what happened. The part that is etched in my mind is when Justin says are you ready? This is after we broke branches and had a fairly long discussion about where to set up the ambush site.....and being noisy as hell. Again in the back of my mind, I think, this will never work...... Anyways back to Justin asking me if I'm ready. I say yes, and Justin tells me, Ok, If it happens it's going to be fast. I'm thinking sure it is. We just made more noise that a heard of liberals at a Trump rally........ Justin cranks up the fox pro, and no more than 30 seconds later this damn wolf pops out of the creek bottom on a full sprint 70 ish yards from us..... I about shit myself....... The wolf is not stopping, it got up on the old logging road and was headed for the thick timber above the road. In my mind, I want to wait for it to stop but hunting this thick crap my whole life I know that if it makes it to the other side of the road, I will probably never see it again. So I pull up on the shoulder and squeeze. I don't remember who said it first, but both of us whispered its down. Justin and I both could not believe what just happened. We just looked at each other and laughed. I believe there was also a man hug only legal after something epic happens. After that, it was a blur, Lots of pictures and an easy walk down the hill.

It was a great time with some of the best people on the planet!

075a3f3529e2fb00d8afa5a6169881b0.jpg

c85c1300e6cf174af9d7dba27e0b7408.jpg

30412267b08de2edbb611a3c9c0f1e89.jpg
791f5e1282d165c32b70faf352a33163.jpg
b206da8f1effd4482d23e8ea2e96f1ce.jpg

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Very cool Ryan. What do you figure they weighed? It is great to see somebody successfull on these dogs. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Very cool Ryan. What do you figure they weighed? It is great to see somebody successfull on these dogs. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

I would guess mine(female) was 75 pounds and Jeff's(male) is 100 pounds.

I would guess mine(female) was 75 pounds and Jeff's(male) is 100 pounds.
What about the weight of the 28 Nosler? What kind of velocity are you getting with the 195's and how long are you running them? What recipe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk