Does the punishment fit the crime?

See that is the thing, I didn't read anywhere that he knew BEFORE he shot that the animal was caged. ....

You also didn't read that he didn't know. Based on the evidence, it is reasonable to presume (Not assume) that he had to know the animal was in a cage, prior to shooting it. Additionally, any owner of a trap, including F&W are required to have their information on the trap. It would have been simple for the guy to get the owner info (F&W) and report the incident. He chose not to.

From what you have stated, it sounds like we both agree on everything, except the severity of the crime. As such, we both have differing opinions on the severity. I have no problem with a person holding a different opinion than I. After all, we are all entitled to form and maintain our own opinions.

That is really what it comes down to...if he knew beforehand. Yes we both agree he committed a crime, but calling it egregious is way over the top. Yes, the main disagreement is over the punishment. So, I sir will bow out. Have a good day.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I posted this story, and I have to admit I'm surprised in the direction of the discussion. I did not expect justification or tacit support for such a blatant disregard for the ethical standards and morality that are what we expect from fair-chase hunters. Regardless of whether you think killing a cat in a trap is sporting or reprehensible, the ultimate decision to remove the cat from someone else's trap, then lie to authorities when questioned is the egregious act. Like it or not, those sorts of actions are going to reflect on all hunters. If we condone them, or even fail to condemn them, we suffer in the court of public opinion.

Them's my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hunters that break game laws give all of us a bad name and is just the ammunition that groups like PETA like to use against us. The 2 year ban that he received is definitely justified and helps to serve as a warning to others. Not knowing the game laws in the area you hunt is not an excuse. I had a friend here in Indiana who lost his hunting privileges for 1 year for not wearing hunters orange. Game laws exist not only to protect wildlife and the environment but to protect hunters and the general public as well.