Anyone near Gatliburg ?

Taking the family on vacation around the 3rd week in June, renting a cabin in the Smoky's near Gatlinburg. I've checked some of the trails in the area on line as I hope to hit some of the more scenic spots. Any suggestions ? My wife has knee problems and can't do any long hikes, I bought her some trekking poles hoping it will help, i'll probably be the only one carrying a pack. It looks like the shorter trails are down near Cherokee ? Any how any local info would be appreciated !

Thanks !

jwatts

WKR
We are headed to Gatlinburg in a few weeks. There are a lot of trails out there, some better known than others. Check out Trail Running Project Trail Run Project | Running Trail Maps It shows trails in that area. A lot of them I had never heard of before. Each trail has a description, difficulty level, and elevation profile. I found a few on there I never knew about. I plan to check a few of them out when we go up.

I live about 2 hours from there . Go to cades cove there s lots of trails to hike and animals to see

robtattoo

WKR
I don't have any trail info for the park, as I generally avoid the place (too many people) but I would strongly advise that you both carry a Thermacell. The mosquitos are terrible. Also we're having a really bad tick year, so a good spray down with permethrin would be advisable.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
What Rob said ^

Chimney tops is a really cool trail that's short but really steep. Go see Clingmans Dome(highest point in TN) too. It's a short but kinda steep hike but it's paved and a great view at the top.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks a lot for the information folks ! I am definetly taking the fly rod, I haven't caught a trout, fresh water, in a long time and I am looking forward to it ! Good info on the paved path and the links are great ! Good job Roksliders !

robtattoo

WKR
If you're fishing, don't forget
A- A trout stamp &
B- A Gatlinburg pass.

Gatlinburg I'd one of the few places in the state that requires an extra permit. A short 3wt & pocket full of Orange & Partridge in sizes 16 thru 10 + a few Olive Woolly Buggers will keep you entertained on small brookies for days!

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

ethan

WKR
Several really good short hikes in Cades Cove. lol s of great wildlife viewing in the mornings and evenings. Also, some really cool old church's to see as well. You'll definitely want to eat breakfast at The Log Cabin Pancake House in town.

Drop into Little River Outfitters for fishing reports and stamps/license.

And never mind what Robtatto said, he's a sissy!! 😀

Grumman

WKR
I'll also recommend Cades Cove just be prepared traffic can back up in there. The Hatfield and McCoy dinner show is also really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grotto Falls, Baskins Creek, and Andrews Bald are all easy/moderate fairly short hikes with good views or destinations.
In Cherokee the Oconaluftee River Trail is nice....used quite a bit. Laurel Falls, and Indian Creek Falls are nice, and pretty popular as well.

OP
S
Several really good short hikes in Cades Cove. lol s of great wildlife viewing in the mornings and evenings. Also, some really cool old church's to see as well. You'll definitely want to eat breakfast at The Log Cabin Pancake House in town.

Drop into Little River Outfitters for fishing reports and stamps/license.

And never mind what Robtatto said, he's a sissy!! 😀

Thanks for the info on the Fly shop and pancakes ! I am not going to doubt Robtatto's manhood, I will take his advice and bring thermacell along just in case

Cades Cove is on the top of the list, appreciate the info !

blackdawg

WKR
My family really enjoyed Dolly Pardons Dixie Stampede Dinner Theatre a short drive away in Pigeon Forge, most impressive horse show I have ever seen. Get tickets in advance, will be nice and cool indoors during July for a few hours. Don't forget the Moonshine store downtown in Gatlinburg for those sore joints after walking up them hills and hollers, I caught quite a free buzz sampling all the various flavors of shine!

OP
S
BLACKDAWG My buddy told me to get a jar of cherries from there, he said the first one is bitter but by number 4 you don't care anymore :)

sneaky

"DADDY"
that shine is a poor representation of what is available in E TN

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
i Have vacationed in Galinburg/Pigeon Forge area ever since i was a kid(so u could say 40 years of experience down there), if you want to know anything PM me and i will let you know as much as u want

Grottoe falls is a nice hike, as is clingman's dome, cades cove is awesome place for wildlife watching and some hiking

Dixie Stampede is awesome

The stream on the way to cade's cove on your right is beautiful always wanted to fish it

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
...this, but get to trail head early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ethan

WKR
Alum Cave to Mt Leconte is a fantastic hike! But if your wife has knee problems you probably don't want to do this one. If by chance you ever visit in the winter, this trail is a totally different animal, much more fun!

jwatts

WKR
We just returned from Gatlinburg. Heads up, a lot of the trails closer to town are closed from the fire. There are trees down across the trails and the forestry service has the trailheads and parking areas closed for some of them. One morning I went up the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. The Rainbow Falls trailhead is closed. I went down to an alternate parking spot and backtracked on Trillium Gap trail. I went to the Rainbow Falls and Old Sugarland trail/Bull Head trail split. Old Sugarland was closed there and Rainbow Falls was closed about a half mile up from there. I also ran the other end of Old Sugarland from the Sugarland Visitor Center end and there were trees across the trail on 2 Mile Lead. Everything was open on the Cade's Cove end though.