Please Welcome The Cooler Tray, and help us test the product

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
These are the two coolers I did a quick test fit in.
IMG_2939_zpsxvgphtik.jpg

As you can see, a little trimming would make for a good fit in this rolling Coleman.
IMG_2941_zpsl3pwed9j.jpg

The trays fit with ease in my 100 Liter Kysek. Actually it would be better if I could make it 4"-5" longer for full coverage.
IMG_2938_zpslzbuzdgw.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wabowmen, if it's not too late you should back out on the deal with Justin, he gets plenty of gear!

He has them now so I will let him go with them. It sounds as though he won't be needing to alter them so If needed I could get them back from him after his review. That is if we need more feedback on altering them.

Mike, Robby is spot on. I get tons of gear and will be happy to save these for you.

Also, For anyone doing modifications to these trays or almost anything plastic I recommend using a tile saw with a smooth diamond blade if you have access to one. Those will cut the plastic so smooth it looks like it was made that way.

dotman

WKR
Well I won't be cutting mine for now, fit the RTIC 65 perfect.

But as I expected not so with the Canyon 35.

I could trim to fit the Canyon, but I would prefer as a consumer to have different size options and not have to be concerned with cutting too much or messing it up and having to buy another or just not using one.

I also tend to use a smaller Cooler more often throughout the year due to size and weight, usually not needing the large capacity.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
First, let me start by saying that I'm sorry for just now being able to test this product. It shipped and got to me super fast. It seems like it's made sturdy. Only time will tell on that one.

My cooler is a RTIC 65. It fit in it perfectly, length wise. The wide was a little off. I believe the extension would fit, but seems alittle flimsy when attached so I took it off. It's not enough gap to bother me one way or another. Although the legs aren't that tall, it did take a good bit of space from my cooler.

I don't carry food in my cooler this time of year, so I decided to check the ice saving ability of the tray.

Updates to follow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
How tall are the feet. How much space is lost in the RTIC 65 N2TRKYS?

The legs are about 2" tall. I've got a good many drinks in my cooler right now. A 5 gallon bucket of ice fit in it, but not by much. Normally, I can get nearly another bucket full in there. Again, I have a lot of drinks in there of various sizes.

Here's something else I'm curious about. Normally, my ice melts but the water stays super cold, thus keeping my drinks cold. I don't think that they'll stay as cool now that they'll be out of the water, but we shall see.

dotman

WKR
First, let me start by saying that I'm sorry for just now being able to test this product. It shipped and got to me super fast. It seems like it's made sturdy. Only time will tell on that one.

My cooler is a RTIC 65. It fit in it perfectly, length wise. The wide was a little off. I believe the extension would fit, but seems alittle flimsy when attached so I took it off. It's not enough gap to bother me one way or another. Although the legs aren't that tall, it did take a good bit of space from my cooler.

I don't carry food in my cooler this time of year, so I decided to check the ice saving ability of the tray.

Updates to follow.

Once the extensions were deeply seated they seemed pretty ridgid and secure to me, I don't think they'll be a weak point really.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
9b02702063c37297ce966d73aa0b4eef.jpg

At Wally World right meow picking up two identical coolers to test out the cooler tray. I can't believe I don't have two of the same coolers already but anyway....

The plan is to outfit one with the tray and one without and have the same amount of water bottles/ stuff I need to keep cold and see if the ice lasts longer.

Pretty cool little product and I like the fact stuff won't be sitting in water, especially stuff like egg cartons and such.

I'm leaving for Oregon for two weeks this Saturday and will conduct this test over this time.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is getting good! And now Travis "Cooler Man" Bertrand is on the scene!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Update....

I haven't noticed any ice saving qualities, yet. My ice melted at the same rate as without the tray. The water has come up over the tray, of course. Draining it would eliminate that, but I could do that without the tray. My hunch was right, though. My drinks are not as cool as without the tray. This is due to them being kept out of the cold water.

As stated previously, I don't care food in my cooler this time of year. I normally do that during the fall/winter and spring. Ice doesn't melt much at all during this time. That would negate some of the water above the tray issue, obviously.

I'm gonna keep testing it and will provide more updates when available.

It's a good product for coolers with food in it is my guess. I never minded ice sludge on my drinks and thought the trays would not be as big a benefit to drink coolers as they would to food coolers. Because, no matter the container food is kept in, when it sets in water, it gets contaminated. As much bleach as the inside of my coolers get to keep them sterile and clean, there is no way I'm eating food that's gotten contaminated by the ice sludge.

I'm going to pick a couple up. As we separate food and drink into separate coolers anyways. It'll cut down on trips to town on our hunts with the ability to buy more meals with no fear of it getting contaminated in the coolers. God Bless

N2TRKYS

WKR
It's a good product for coolers with food in it is my guess. I never minded ice sludge on my drinks and thought the trays would not be as big a benefit to drink coolers as they would to food coolers. Because, no matter the container food is kept in, when it sets in water, it gets contaminated. As much bleach as the inside of my coolers get to keep them sterile and clean, there is no way I'm eating food that's gotten contaminated by the ice sludge.

I'm going to pick a couple up. As we separate food and drink into separate coolers anyways. It'll cut down on trips to town on our hunts with the ability to buy more meals with no fear of it getting contaminated in the coolers. God Bless

I hope it keeps it cool enough for you. I was surprised at how warm my drinks were.

Me too. But, half of my camping is done in weather that sees the ice sludge in coolers eventually freeze. that won't be a problem then. It's the summer smallmouth fishing trips during July that leaves it in question. But, with guys in and out making sandwiches, cooking breakfast and supper, adding ice is a given every other day. So, I think keeping it drained it will work perfectly for the food coolers

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 1 started today around 4:00. I put the same number of water bottles in each cooler in the same orientation along with 20lbs of ice in each. I have them in my rv and will most likely stay in there for the duration.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
0bee5ac184d9186f10a1dbeaf69723a0.jpg

The cooler tray all laid out inside the Coleman 70qt "extreme"
It took probably 2 minutes from start to finish to assemble with the hardest being snapping the legs in place. I found pressing them in with a hard object the way to go.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
33eb5b657c9db4faddaa0f61436fe134.jpg

Check out the cooler belt( for demonstration purposes only, I removed the belt before starting the test).