Please Welcome The Cooler Tray, and help us test the product

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cooler tray results. All melt water from the 20lbs of ice stayed even with the cooler tray which surprised me I thought for sure it'd be above it.
ff082a5e5c56a5d2b0f57d1a8bb3c40b.jpg
be313de4552eb99b2ee2b37312de8f9e.jpg
627d866dd3dbb1e987ea10b24ab692c4.jpg

Looks like with the tray water temp was 50* and 4oz ice left.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So if I'm understanding, the icemelt was about the same between the non-tray and the tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the coolers performance was pretty much a wash between the two. I was surprised that the ice water cooled the drinks that much more and it's a noticeable difference drinking from each.

The cooler tray does perform very well keeping things out of the water from melted ice. The whole melted 20lb bag of ice was under the tray in the 70 quart cooler that's a bunch of water.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes the coolers performance was pretty much a wash between the two. I was surprised that the ice water cooled the drinks that much more and it's a noticeable difference drinking from each.

The cooler tray does perform very well keeping things out of the water from melted ice. The whole melted 20lb bag of ice was under the tray in the 70 quart cooler that's a bunch of water.

Got it. So if a guy wants an ice cold drink, those need to be touching the water.

Thanks Sam

Anyone else ready to post? It's been 100 degrees in many places

N2TRKYS

WKR
Personally, I didn't like it for reasons I've stated previously. I had rather have the extra room for ice, than to have the tray. If I wanted to keep items dry, I believe that I had rather have a basket in my cooler.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
2" of extra ice isn't much. Do you have a link to these baskets? I haven't seen a cooler basket for years.

Isn't the point of the cooler tray to keep food from becoming soggy when the ice starts to melt and pool at the bottom? I didn't think it had anything to do with ice longevity.

twall13

WKR
Isn't the point of the cooler tray to keep food from becoming soggy when the ice starts to melt and pool at the bottom? I didn't think it had anything to do with ice longevity.
That's true but I still enjoyed seeing if there was an impact on ice longevity due to having the tray. If it had impacted longevity that would have been useful info. to have to consider the trade offs when deciding if it was with the purchase. Now I know it's a non issue.

From what I've seen so far it works as advertised but for things like drinks that I don't mind getting wet I'm better off leaving them in the water as they will stay cooler.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR

One of the benefits listed was that it could make your ice last longer. I didn't notice my ice lasting any longer. If it doesn't keep drinks cold enough to drink, I don't know that I would want my food in there for too long this time of year.

I mainly run food in my cooler during the fall and early spring. During that time, ice melting is a nonissue. I'd rather use the extra space for ice. YMMV, though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say it doesn't keep drinks cold. If you got a drink out of the cooler that has a tray you'd think damn this is ice cold. Only when compared to drink completely surrounded with ice water can you even notice it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wouldn't say it doesn't keep drinks cold. If you got a drink out of the cooler that has a tray you'd think damn this is ice cold. Only when compared to drink completely surrounded with ice water can you even notice it.

I'm glad you had better results. My drinks were actually warm with the tray and cold without the tray. Both of my test were with completely melted ice that resulted in just water.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see why your drinks were warm with all the ice water under the tray there was nothing to cool them.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I gave the tray a really good test a couple weeks back when we went to Spokane for Hoopfest. We had a mix of water bottles and food in my wheeled Coleman cooler and it was really nice keeping the food up out of the water. I agree that your drinks are a little colder if you let them sit in the ice water instead of above it but one thing I've never liked is getting a cold beer out of a cooler full of water and ice that everyone has had their hands in and who knows what else. You then crack open that can of beer or pop or whatever and might as well put your mouth on everything they've touched all weekend.

ad3975e04639a5814f351f5c0c987d8e.jpg

d7584fee7ac5330b2a5acfa34acf471a.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You then crack open that can of beer or pop or whatever and might as well put your mouth on everything they've touched all weekend.

Glad to hear I'm not the only germ freak. It also freaks me out when there's food in the water that my drinks are in.

My uncles always through everything together in the cooler, baloney, bread, bananas, hotdogs Pepsi's and by the end of the day it was a big soup and they didn't even care.

dotman

WKR
2" of extra ice isn't much. Do you have a link to these baskets? I haven't seen a cooler basket for years.

If you have an RTIC or Canyon Cooler they both sell baskets for their coolers.

dotman

WKR
I have had similar results as the others, really I prefer baskets as well but if baskets are not an option this is a good one to try out.

Randle

WKR
Robby life has been a little nuts. I had a accident at work and got 2nd degree burn on my right hand and wrist. Been dealing with that and my test has been put off. I apoligize fir the delay hope to get something going next week. No atv trip at this point now.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby life has been a little nuts. I had a accident at work and got 2nd degree burn on my right hand and wrist. Been dealing with that and my test has been put off. I apoligize fir the delay hope to get something going next week. No atv trip at this point now.

Get better soon. We're here when you're up to it

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad to hear I'm not the only germ freak. It also freaks me out when there's food in the water that my drinks are in.

My uncles always through everything together in the cooler, baloney, bread, bananas, hotdogs Pepsi's and by the end of the day it was a big soup and they didn't even care.

We all have that friend that washes their hands in cooler water or worse, their face!