Colorado Stats

All the draw stats for CO are now posted.

Point creep is seeping down to the lower level units for sure.

Our fist choice elk unit was a possibility at 3 points last year, this year only about half the 4 point people drew.

We put in for the above timberline early rifle hunt, well just preference points, but it has gone from 5 points when we started building points to 8 this year, and that is up from 6 last year.

Good news is that another of our favorite units has gone from a solid 2 back down to a decent possibility at 1.(used to be 0 though), but it is some crappy rough country.

We drew our 2nd choice for archery elk but there were two guys that "wasted" 6 and 7 pp respectively to draw it. Guess they were dropping out of the points game.

Always some cool stuff for the stats geeks.

topher89

WKR
We drew our 2nd choice for archery elk but there were two guys that "wasted" 6 and 7 pp respectively to draw it. Guess they were dropping out of the points game.

Always some cool stuff for the stats geeks.
I always wonder about those. There always seems to be some guy burning way too many points for some of those low point draws. I always wonder if it is an intentional choice to get out of the point game or if they made a mistake entering codes.

I always wonder about those. There always seems to be some guy burning way too many points for some of those low point draws. I always wonder if it is an intentional choice to get out of the point game or if they made a mistake entering codes.

I had 5 elk points, but wanted to hunt with a friend this year. I had the option of burning 5 points for a 1 point unit, or not hunting with my buddy. Screw it. I am living for the day, and drew my bull tag. Who knows where life will take me in another 7 years or so when I would have had a shot at a trophy unit? I'm giving up on the 15 year plan for tags. Life is too short.

Vids

WKR
I had 5 elk points, but wanted to hunt with a friend this year. I had the option of burning 5 points for a 1 point unit, or not hunting with my buddy. Screw it. I am living for the day, and drew my bull tag. Who knows where life will take me in another 7 years or so when I would have had a shot at a trophy unit? I'm giving up on the 15 year plan for tags. Life is too short.

That totally makes sense, and I would do the same in the right situation. What I find funny is sometimes you run across a unit where somebody burns 15-20 points on a tag you can get as a second choice or leftover.

topher89

WKR

That one I totally get. I have devoted myself to some good units that I can get with 0-1 points. I want to hunt and hunt hard every year. I more meant the guys who are blowing points on units that you get as a second choice or even a left over. Why not just get an OTC tag or draw your second choice?

topher89

WKR
A great example, someone burned 19 points on the same tag I got as a second choice tag.... why not get the the tag and the extra point?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A great example, someone burned 19 points on the same tag I got as a second choice tag.... why not get the the tag and the extra point?
Only logical reason would be it's the last time they will be able to hunt. I can understand getting out of the point game, not with 19 though maybe 5. I did that with deer but still building elk points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't get the double digit point drops on easy units but I get dumping a fair amount. I never really intended on collecting points but one thing led to another and before I knew it I had 5 deer points. Also there are people out there that put in for a while without a real plan. Then they finally talk a buddy into going so they dump their points to hunt with a friend. Also family members burn points to hunt with the young hunters. Lots of reasons to dump a few points.

Takem

WKR
Our 2nd season deer went from being pretty much guaranteed with 1NR point to slim chance with 1 point. The NR's are only getting 5% of the tags on the hunt to keep the residents from having worse draw odds than the NR.

cnelk

WKR
Keep in mind that tag allotment also plays a role in Pref Point creep.
If the CPW reduces the amount of tags, well, its gonna take more PPs.

Im not sure if the tag allotment stats are even out yet for 2017,
When that is issued, it can be compared to previous year(s) and get a better look at all the data

BigDog00

WKR
How do you determine what the tag allotment will be for NR in a given unit? The unit I've been putting in for has been a 1 point unit for the last few years. This year a total of 2 NR put in, both with one point, and neither drew. 19 out of 10 residents drew with 1 pt. There are 30 total tags for the unit/season and it says "up to 35% NR cap". Does that mean they are allowing up to 35% of the tags to go to NR?

I don't think the quota pdf's differentiate between res and non I think they just give a total number of tags per unit and show if it is an increase, decrease, or the same as the year before on there. Your earlier analysis is correct in that up to 35% percent means no more than 35% percent will go to non-residents

vanish

WKR
How do you determine what the tag allotment will be for NR in a given unit? The unit I've been putting in for has been a 1 point unit for the last few years. This year a total of 2 NR put in, both with one point, and neither drew. 19 out of 10 residents drew with 1 pt. There are 30 total tags for the unit/season and it says "up to 35% NR cap". Does that mean they are allowing up to 35% of the tags to go to NR?

Yes, up to 35%. The full number that are drawn for NRs depends on PPs. The consequences of the "up to" means that you have to be at least on the same plane ( with PPs ) as residents to have a chance at drawing - this is considered a "soft cap". Everyone with 1 point was in contention for that tag, and the NRs were not the lucky ones. Let's say that instead there were 10 tags, with 5 NRs @ 2 points, 20 R's putting in with only one point and 3 NRs @ 1 point. 3 of the tags would go to NRs @ 2 points ( 4 of 10 would be 40% - too many ). The other 7 tags would go to R's @ 1 point because the 35% cap had been met.

If the draw was switched to a "hard cap", something outfitters are pushing for, then NRs would always draw ~35% of the tags, regardless of how their PPs compared to NRs. In you situation above, with only two NRs putting in, under a "hard cap" scenario they would be able to draw those tags at second choice while residents would require PPs to get the tag, which would be really annoying as a resident. You'd have NRs that hunted the unit every year, while meanwhile you were on an every other year schedule.

BigDog00

WKR
Yes, up to 35%. The full number that are drawn for NRs depends on PPs. The consequences of the "up to" means that you have to be at least on the same plane ( with PPs ) as residents to have a chance at drawing - this is considered a "soft cap". Everyone with 1 point was in contention for that tag, and the NRs were not the lucky ones. Let's say that instead there were 10 tags, with 5 NRs @ 2 points, 20 R's putting in with only one point and 3 NRs @ 1 point. 3 of the tags would go to NRs @ 2 points ( 4 of 10 would be 40% - too many ). The other 7 tags would go to R's @ 1 point because the 35% cap had been met.

If the draw was switched to a "hard cap", something outfitters are pushing for, then NRs would always draw ~35% of the tags, regardless of how their PPs compared to NRs. In you situation above, with only two NRs putting in, under a "hard cap" scenario they would be able to draw those tags at second choice while residents would require PPs to get the tag, which would be really annoying as a resident. You'd have NRs that hunted the unit every year, while meanwhile you were on an every other year schedule.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now. I don't know that I would be in favor of a "hard cap", but this point creep thing sure if frustrating. Especially when you think the draw will be a slam dunk!

vanish

WKR
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now. I don't know that I would be in favor of a "hard cap", but this point creep thing sure if frustrating. Especially when you think the draw will be a slam dunk!

Sure is. Point creep isn't just an NR issue though. Some R tags have been going up 1/2 point or more every year.