Having some rubbing issues while pack training with my amr from kifaru

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
10a3b4606536eb7874151ba12bfc3759.jpg

This was after 4 miles with 75lbs. I've done this quite a few times in my life and haven't ever been able to avoid these welts on my lumbar pad area. I was hoping someone else would be able to chime in. This is a kifaru duplex amr with a medium belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
I would strongly encourage you to call Kifaru (or call Snyder direct). They will do everything they can to get you squared away. My gut reaction is that something is loose or you don't have the right stays in the frame.

I had pressure like that from mine last season with composite stays and ended up going with Alum. so I could bend them to even out the contact area.
I made it around 300 yrds with 70#'s and knew the composites weren't for me.
What stays?

Lmao! I just finished a 6 mile hike with 60 lbs and was getting on here to ask if anyone has figured out a better lumbar pad for the duplex frame because it killed my lower back. Very painful on my hip bones as well. Absolutely love the pack (mountain warrior) but just have a few kinks to work out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Call me...720-937-1418

You'll always get rubbing when ruck running, but that looks horrible!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Need different stays and maybe the thinner lumbar pad

To anyone having these issues you need to call Snyder and discuss getting some different stays. This is not normal and be caused by using curved stay when you have a flat back or flat/arrow stays when you have a curved back. If the curvature of your back is neither then you will need aluminum stay to bend to your own back profile. They may be a little heavier, but will provide a custom fit and allow you to carry much heavier weight.

Lmao! I just finished a 6 mile hike with 60 lbs and was getting on here to ask if anyone has figured out a better lumbar pad for the duplex frame because it killed my lower back. Very painful on my hip bones as well. Absolutely love the pack (mountain warrior) but just have a few kinks to work out.

Most, if not all of the time this can be fixed by changing the stays and has nothing to do with the lumbar pad. Give Aron a call and discuss your issues and he will make a recommendation on which stays you should try. The pain on the hip bones can also be caused by incorrect stay curvature causing you to have to crank the belt down too tight to prevent slippage.

my first thought is your pad is contacting too high on your back. I hope it is a simple fix for you, looks painful.

Here's where it gets complicated. I'm going to tell you something different. Your pad isn't too high. It's low if anything. However, it looks ok where it's at.

Don't know a thing about stays other than I went with aluminum based on research for the same reasons. Call them. They'll know how to fix it. God Bless

That's what my back looked like after the 100# tth course in Texas last year.

BCrob

FNG
Could you let is know what the problem and solution to this was may help others down the road.

Hope you got it worked out!

ElkNut1

WKR
I don't really see an issue! It's normal to have red marks on your shoulders, back or stomach area especially with weight in your pack. Happens all the time, you will get used to it. With no weight in the pack it's just less noticeable. Keep at it, you'll see through more workouts it won't bother you & your skin will eventually toughen up.

ElkNut1

KurtR

WKR
the hip pain could be from having the delt straps to tight or tight before you put the belt on. Also how i put the weight in made all the difference once i got it up a little more it improved alot. Call Aron is probably the best answer i did and he had all the answers to get it dialed in.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
e871cf4a49dd7fcab01ba4887ea02a80.jpg

I called Aron Snyder and he said it's a problem with the aluminum stays on the bottom (shown as the right side of this pic) and I need to take a little curve out of the bottom and the middle. So that the weight distribution goes all the way across the lumbar pad instead of right on those two points across the back. If you have a problem like this call Aron, he's a great dude and will explain it way better than I.

Separate note, I'll be saving my money from here on out and buying everything from kifaru that I can afford. The customer service is top notch, being able to call a guy with that experience level on his cell when I have a problem is damn sure as good as it gets.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I labeled those BI for bottom inside, which is the inside of the pack or the part of the pack touching my back

I don't really see an issue! It's normal to have red marks on your shoulders, back or stomach area especially with weight in your pack. Happens all the time, you will get used to it. With no weight in the pack it's just less noticeable. Keep at it, you'll see through more workouts it won't bother you & your skin will eventually toughen up.

ElkNut1

While 75lbs is a lot of weight and the skin may be a little red right after you take the pack off, the white spots where the stays were contacting is the primary issue of concern here with the OP. Also, it depends on what you were doing with the pack (running vs hiking). I don't feel like 75lbs is enough on my Kifaru to cause much irritation anyways and I run probably 85%+ of the load on my waist (I have separated both of my shoulders so the collar bones don't like much weight), which is more than most people do. Once I get up to the 100lb range I start to get a little bit of pressure on the love handles, so if I was skinnier that probably wouldn't be as much of a problem and I might even be able to get away with not having to crank the belt down as much as well.

I called Aron Snyder and he said it's a problem with the aluminum stays on the bottom (shown as the right side of this pic) and I need to take a little curve out of the bottom and the middle. So that the weight distribution goes all the way across the lumbar pad instead of right on those two points across the back. If you have a problem like this call Aron, he's a great dude and will explain it way better than I.

Sounds like a plan, good thing you got the Aluminum stays as it made this problem a lot easier to solve. Hopefully it works out for you. If you take too much of the bend out you may notice some slippage, so it may take a few tries to get it dialed in just right.