High country camping

I'm planning my first Rocky Mountain backcountry hunt. It'll be Colorado Mule deer in early Archery season. My question is about choosing a camp site in the high country. I'm assuming I want to find a spot above tree line with water if that's possible so I can glass in the morning and evening without having to travel too far. Can someone with experience let me know if this makes sense, and if so what considerations I need to take into account. Is lightning a concern? Staying out of sight? Wind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
Lightning can definitely be a concern. If possible, I usually drop a little and camp in the krumholtz (the stunted little trees just before alpine). If thats not possible, finding a sheltered spot behind rocks is usually do-able as well.

Poser

WKR
Wind can beat you up above treeline as well. I agree with the above -drop Into the stunted trees, that should have you positioned reasonably close to Alpine hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of the time the water will be lower on the mountain and you'll have to haul it up to camp

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Proximity to water is a nice bonus but if it is the sole source in that basin stay away so you don't run the critters out.