How are you pitching your square tarps?

snopro176

WKR
I have a kuiu tarp shelter on order but it won't be in until about the time season is winding down. I'm looking for something to get me by in the August-september months, which in CA are usually super warm. I was considering a mountain Smith LT but wondering if something like a 9x10 tarp wouldn't be better?? Probably mostly 2 man trips. I like the idea of having the ability to do other pitch configurations with the flat tarp. Whats your guys opinion​?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I like the options a flat tarp offers. I use a Aqua Quest Sil nylon 10x10. I was also considering the Mountain Smith LT but decided to go with the flat tarp. I like to pitch A frame or a version of the Whelen pitch. I also like the diamond pitch.

92xj

WKR
Two different setups from this past weekend with my 9x10.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Very nice! I think having a flat tarp and a actually shelter then the kuiu one comes will have my bases covered pretty well. Who's tarp is that? I like the looks of the Jimmy tarps skyline.

92xj

WKR
It's a Bearpaw wilderness tarp. I also have a megatarp that I carry, but if the weather is warmer than 40 and no chance of rain/snow, the flat (glassing) tarp gets used for the night simply because I'm lazy and it takes way less effort than the megatarp, though the megatarp is simple and easy, just not as quick as these flat tarp configurations

Gobbler36

WKR
Jimmy tarps
Skyline shelter
Just picked one up on his sale for early archery hunts. August to 1st week of September. Think it would be a good fit for what you describe

oldgoat

WKR
Email from camofire today said they were going to have tarps for sale. I've got a flat tarp from Jimmy, I've only pitched it lean too style for shade and laid under it loose to wait out a thunder storm.

rayporter

WKR
on float hunts i keep a square tarp with bungee cords on each corner ready. you can pitch a diamond in seconds and be under shelter.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_0905_zpsnlbq4wno.jpg

IMG_0907_zps5dfusmf9.jpg

IMG_0917_zpsprii1gat.jpg

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Yea the skyline has had my eye for some time, it'll be that or a bear paw I imagine. ^ that's what sold me on flat tarps, lots of different uses. Very cool.

SHTF,

Those pictures in the "staying dry..." thread were my inspiration for my "flat tarp in the high country?" thread I started in the sleep systems forum. Have you spent any nights in inclement weather under the tarp in that two pole configuration? If so, how did it work out? Thanks