Might move to Bend, OR....like to get a sense for the hunting.

Bughalli

WKR
Hey guys,
We're thinking about moving from CA and Bend, Oregon is on our short list of considerations. I'm predominantly an archery hunter (elk/mule deer) and fly fisherman (steelhead/trout), but dabble in rifle and shotgun hunting as well. I would like to get a sense for the hunting around Bend or in Eastern Oregon in general. Just looking for basic stuff....quality of animals, how far are you driving to hunt, do a lot of guys still hunt out of state, etc. No secrets, just a general sense to determine if it's an upgrade in hunting quality. PM me if willing to share info or better yet have a quick chat on the phone.
Thanks

Last edited:

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
What? Somebody from California relocating to Bend??? No way!!! ;-)

Generally speaking, the hunting in the general vicinity of Bend (let's say an hour to an hour and a half drive) isn't very good. There are some really big mule deer right in town (see 'Buck Norris' from a few years ago) and around the agricultural areas on the outskirts of town (that can be hunted with some detective work), but overall, the deer and elk hunting locally isn't great. The Ochoco's outside of Prineville is probably the closest decent elk hunting and it's likely 90 minutes on pavement to get into elk country. From there east, there's elk country all over. Waterfowl can be found in the high lakes and rivers not far from town and can be ok if weather and water conditions cooperate. No pheasants to speak of and chuckar are at least a couple hours away.

Fishing is another story. If you're into flyfishing, there's an endless supply of lakes and streams within an hour or so drive from town. And there can be some pretty good fishing literally in town at times. Steelhead aren't too far away on the Deschutes, but that's at least an hour drive to Warm Springs and probably an hour and 45 minutes to better access at Maupin. In the winter, you're 4 hours or so from good steelhead fishing on the coast in a number of rivers.

That's my perspective anyway after living there for 15 years or so before moving back to the wet side of the state.

Billinsd

WKR
My friend's father in law had a nice hunting ranch near Bend. Isn't a lot of the area near there private property?

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Don't worry, I know it's on the Eastern side. Pure typo on my part. Thanks for the input.

tttoadman

WKR
Hunting in OR is what you make it. Many draw hunts with bad odds, but also many OTC opportunities that can make for great hunts. If you enjoy hunting coastal thick areas, OR may be right down your alley. Lots of hunting that way while you wait a few years to pick up a good draw tag somewhere.

If you are semi retired, and don't mind living off the edges a bit, I would look a little south or up on the cascade lakes highway.

You really should just stay away. I wish people would move away. If you insist on invading, welcome.