How many days this fall hunting?

As far as big game goes, I only did two hunts last year, 10 days chasing mountain goats and a week back east (PA) chasing whitetail. This year I'm planning on hunting a little more, another 10 day goat hunt and PA whitetail, and I also have two moose hunts planned (hopefully we'll be able to notch both my son's and my tags).

oldgoat

WKR
I average 15-20 days walking my bow in the elk woods. Usually hunt whitetails a little less, don't take any vacation days for them, but working four days on and four days off schedule it just depends on how they hit during season dates.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, we had a horrible winter here this year in idaho so I got a shitload of comp time built up being I plow for the state.
So.........taking 6 weeks off. Oh yeah baby! Now, I plan on being picky for a big buck, but what usually happens is that it is damn tough to turn down a nice mature buck standing in front of you. In any case, we have lots of tags to fill plus I'll be helping a couple buddies kids get cow elk.

Randy

Scouting: 10-12 days
Archery Elk/Archery Mule Deer: 14 days, as these seasons for me overlap. I mostly elk hunt but am an opportunist on mule deer.
Mule Deer Rifle: 4 days, this only happens if I don't get one with the bow.
Cow Elk Late Season: 4-6 days in December chasing them around in the snow.

I would have liked to done Spring Bear this year but had a lot going on that kept me home most weekends.

3 weeks scheduled vacation for hunting plus weekends close to home. 2 weeks are for elk and 1 week for mule deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's hard to say. I'll have a CO elk tag and a NM elk tag, but who knows how many days I'll be out there. I could tag out on day one, day 10, or day 30. I also have a muley tag for Dec 1-14, but again........who knows? And most likely a Pronghorn archery tag and a late season pronghorn doe tag. Plus whatever my daughter picks up. We'll probably have some late season cow tags and whitetail tags as well. I don't really track how many days I'm out there every year.

Seth82

FNG
This year will be:

Stone sheep - 12 days
Rocky Mountain Elk - 13 days
Mule deer - 9 days
Columbia blacktails - Every other free weekend between Sept 10 & Dec 10 (Probably 18 days)

Unless I draw an island Roosevelt tag... then I may as well take a leave from work.

Can't wait!

elkyinzer

WKR
Not enough.

Just can't swing an out of state elk trip this year. Just burned 4 vaca days on a family beach vacation, sigh. Wife is happy, it was fun, all is good, onto planning for 2018 elk.

I have 7 "rutcation" days for PA archery deer. Add in 4-5 Saturdays, plus evening hunts a couple days a week after work, so I usually get out about 20-30 days for deer. If I shoot a buck here early I'll do an Ohio or WV trip. Trying to hold out for a little better buck this year. PA took away my favorite grouse season this year, post Christmas, so I might have to make more of an effort to get the pup out. I was out about 10 times for grouse last year but I shot a buck early.

Early whitetail, I'll get a morning and evening hunt in. About 8 days. This year I'm going to hunt CO rifle elk from the 4th of November until the following Friday. 7 full days. November 19th through thanksgiving well, I'll hunt daylight to dark in WV's rifle season. 6 full days. This will be the most I e ever got to hunt. I just pray nothing happens preventing these plans. God Bless

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for a early deer tag and if I draw that I'll probably have one to two weeks invested in that. A buddy and I are going to AK for 11 days moose hunting. Then a day or two at the opening of deer season and a week at the end along with a week at the end of elk season. I also put in for extra elk and deer tags that go to the end of the year and I'm sure I'll have a day invested in a early elk tag with my dad and maybe my wife. After all that it's duck hunting until our UT cow elk tag in Jan. (provided we draw again). It will probably be between 40 and 50 days through Jan but it might be more than that too.

ljalberta

WKR
Not as many as I'd like this year. Still grateful for every day in the field though. I have 10 days chasing bighorns and then 3-5 for elk and whitetail.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
50 to 60 days total

Split about evenly between: early season dove and duck hunting, Iowa whitetail with a bow, Iowa and Kansas pheasant, and Iowa late muzzle-loader. Throw in probably a day or two for spring turkey hunting.

8 full days for elk.

Deer..hate to say it....3 or 4 sits unless I draw some kind of special hunt. Kind of lost the fire for whitetail hunting.

Feel the same way about whitetail. Used to spend tons of time in the deer woods but after my first elk hunt I can barely stand to sit still in a tree or a blind.

I go the first week and last week of sept archery elk in CO. Will gladly start skipping the last week if I can consistently fill my tag the first week. Lol