15x binos or 11-33x spotter?? Help!

snopro176

WKR
I'm on the fence and need to make a decision quick. I'm almost talked I to a set of vortex vulture hd 15x56s but then I hear how powerful the vortex razor 11-33x50 spotter is. Can anyone definitely say they like one over the other or have experience with both? Most the glassing where I'm at is sub 1000yards but occasionally out to +-1.5 miles. I know there are other options but these really are the only ones I'm considering. Any help would be awesome!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this but I'd want more information on how/what/where you hunt to make that decision. The 15x's are going to be better for finding game, the spotter is going to be better for determining the quality of the game. If you aren't as concerned about how big it is the 15x's are probably the better option. If you need to determine if it's legal (varies by tag/location) say a 3x3 or better the spotter might be the better option paired with some smaller binos.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
I have some 10x42s already I should have mentioned that. I guess they'd be used more for spotting game rather than counting eye guards or something.

Felix40

WKR
I cant see taking a set of 10s and a set of 15s on the same trip. I would either do 15s or the 10s and spotter but maybe opt for a bigger spotter. For me the choice was easy because a set of 15s is cheaper, lighter, and I dont care the least bit about trophy quality.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've been wondering the same thing for a few months now. I'm after elk primarily, with a deer tag in my pocket. I'll be in a fairly even mix of timber and open country. I went down from 10x42 to a (much higher quality) set of 8x32. Much-much lighter riding in my chest harness, steadier free hand, plenty enough to find elk with, and wider field of view for timber areas.

Then the question was do I pair them with 15x binos or a spotter... personally I think the 15x might be the better option, but I ended up going with the small vortex spotter - mostly b/c I found one on here used but like new for a great price. As far as small, backpack friendly spotters go, I think it's the best value on the market right now.

There are a lot more choices on 15x binos though. I think I'll look to buy a nice used set of SLC's next year. (Then I'll have to resist the temptation to bring all 3 along with me! HaHa.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I prefer binos. A 15x is better than a spotter for scanning country, a spotter is better for evaluating trophy quality

If you are a " thats a 6 point bull, Im going after him" guy the binos are great. If you are a " is that buck 190" or 195" guy you want the spotter

hwy1strat

WKR
So, I've never used 15x binos hunting but I have had the opportunity to look through a few. I also owned a vortex razor hd 50mm spotter. I would never recommend that spotter to anyone. Its just about useless at full power. The glass sucks. I ended up selling mine because it was useless. I looked through the Cabela's Instinct Euro HD (meopta meostar) 15x56mm binos and I was pretty impressed. They are very bright and clear and it is way less taxing on the eyes looking through binos compared to a scope. 15x binos will be great for spotting game but won't be able to judge trophy quality. IMO, don't waste your money on the 50mm spotter. Either get a full power spotter from a better brand ie Swaro, kowa, etc or get the 15x binos

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I find for my eyes it is very straining to look through a spotter for other than brief periods and thus sold my spotting and will be running some 15x56s this year instead to try. Until I see the need for trophy evaluation and also have to budget to afford the high end glass I don't forsee using a spotter again for my eyes.

Mike7

WKR
I previously had a 11x33 NikonED scope, but now have the 16x56 Nikon Monarch 5's which I purchased for less than $500, and I would never go back to that little spotting scope, even though it was quality glass. I am not counting points generally, but rather am just looking for a mature animal.

I pair these 16x56's with a pair of light weight 8x30 Mavens only on trips where I will be in some open country, and I am finally happy with my ability to see and find game in most any situation (which I did not feel was the case in the past with 10x binos and mediocre quality 80mm spotting scope or with the Nikon 50mm spotting scope). I use the 8x's and 16x's both off of my tripod when sitting depending upon the situation. I don't seem myself really needing to spend any more money now, unless I am going to change things to alpha glass for a lot more money, or add a spotting scope in the future like that Swaro in a 65-80mm obj with the BX eyepiece.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. That sounds like a plan, run the 15s for a few years until I can afford a good spotter, might not even feel the need at that point? I'm a huge fan of binos on a tripod so I'm pretty pumped to gain some reach this year.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
If your trophy hunting and need to judge points and tines length a good spotter and tripod will go along way. If your trying to spot game even at a distance a good set of 10x42 connected to a tripod makes a world of difference. I was amazed at how much more shows up when you take your natural movement out of the equation. I think it also helps that braking out the tripod and attaching your binos to it makes you slow down and actually glass for it bit longer than you would if you were free handing it.

efnm

WKR
I agree, go with the 15x56s unless you are the type to score before you hunt. I am thinking of also upgrading my 10x42 to nice 8x32s for weight.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
If your trophy hunting and need to judge points and tines length a good spotter and tripod will go along way. If your trying to spot game even at a distance a good set of 10x42 connected to a tripod makes a world of difference. I was amazed at how much more shows up when you take your natural movement out of the equation. I think it also helps that braking out the tripod and attaching your binos to it makes you slow down and actually glass for it bit longer than you would if you were free handing it.
I couldn't agree more with that. You definitely give it a longer look because you're not constantly holding your breath and getting fatigued trying to be so still. Since using a tripod I've easily doubled the amount of game I find.

shotgunwilly

Lil-Rokslider
I went the 12 x 50 meopta euro hd route as opposed to the 15's, great field of view and excellent clarity ( on a tripod) I just found binoculars fatigued my eyes less than the spotter.

Ive been going rounds about the same thing. I just hate caryying a bunch of crap with me that usually don't end up using. I've decided on a nice set of 12x binos, tripod and a 8x monocular; like the 8x36 solo. The solo goes in the front pocket for quick looks on the trail and weight is negligible. I think I would use this setup more effectively where im at.

BuzzH

WKR
I think it depends a lot on the hunting you're doing, there are definitely some hunts that one type of optics can be better than others.

But, after using them all, I've settled on 10's for binoculars, across the board. Enough power to see things a longgg way away. My last coues deer hunt in AZ I glassed over 500 total deer and 98 bucks with my 10's on a tripod. The guy I was hunting with was using 15's and I don't recall a single deer he found that I couldn't also see in my 10's. I think the bigger field of view with the 10's has wayyy more advantages over the extra magnification of 15's when glassing coues deer.

I also went with a 20-60x80 spotting scope, yeah, its heavy to pack, yeah you need a pretty stout tripod...but the clarity is worth the weight when you're trying to judge an animal.

Other options work, but that's the best I've found...and I use Swarovski for both bino's and spotter.

Rizzy

WKR
My Meopta 15x have out performed the mid range 65mm class of spotters I have used and in turn replaced them. For my available time to hunt OTC units, I'm going to put a stalk on any mature Buck or Bull I see. I have been able to tell the difference between a forky vs a 4 point, or a rag horn vs. a six point with the 15x just fine so far. I hunt more timbered steep and tight terrain. If I was hunting basin desert and/or draw units or doing a lot of digiscoping then I would be packing a spotter.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
So ended up with the meopta meopro h 80spotting, for about 2 weeks. Although I feel it was just as good at the vortex razor and even better at 20x, I couldn't stand knowing that for a few hundred more, I could have a swaro and a much better picture. So I shipped it back and wound up with a vortex vulture HD 15x56 and honestly I'm super happy with this sub $400 purchase. I feel they're as clear as my viper hd's and easier on the eyes to look through than a mid-range spotter. I think it will do plenty for me until I can afford a truly top shelf spotter, but until then these vulture definitely give me a good look at stuff.

geriggs

WKR
Reviving this thread because I'm curious about the vultures. Whats your latest take on them. I looked at them today and I liked me better than kaibabs. Could be they just fit me better. Thanks

So ended up with the meopta meopro h 80spotting, for about 2 weeks. Although I feel it was just as good at the vortex razor and even better at 20x, I couldn't stand knowing that for a few hundred more, I could have a swaro and a much better picture. So I shipped it back and wound up with a vortex vulture HD 15x56 and honestly I'm super happy with this sub $400 purchase. I feel they're as clear as my viper hd's and easier on the eyes to look through than a mid-range spotter. I think it will do plenty for me until I can afford a truly top shelf spotter, but until then these vulture definitely give me a good look at stuff.