Outer Layer for Sept Hunt

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I am hunting CO in early September, and was curious what everyone things I should wear for my outer top layer. I was thinking of going with a soft shell, but from what I am hearing, if I am not busting brush this isn't necessary. Should I go with a merino T-shirt and a hooded fleece, with a puffy in the pack just in case, or would you go with another layering configuration.

BK

That layering will work.
I'd definitely bring the puffy. Perfect for those cold/early morning. Can sleep in it if the temps drop too much.

And CO weather is finicky so it could snow in early September depending on location

WoodBow

WKR
The merino, hooded fleece, and puffy sounds good to me. It's plenty cold enough for a puffy in september at times where we hunt in CO. I have never run a softshell and do not see a need.

I hunted several years without a puffy. After i used it the first time I said I would never go without one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My outer layer for September elk hunting is Microtex Lite or Microtex shirt for 90% of the season. And that's over my merino base and possibly my microfleece mock-T if needed.

oldgoat

WKR
If you have a puffy, it could be nice, but we always have our rain gear with us and just dual purpose it as our outerwear! It's wind proof and since it's not the real high end stuff it's fairly warm, layer underneath. Have been chilly a couple times waiting for the sun to come up but generally we are moving till the sun rises then slow down and hunt once we can see. I do have a warmer jacket in the truck though and watch the weather forecasts, but in ten seasons I've hunted here in Colorado I haven't needed it. My wife who's not near as warm blooded as me does the same but this year she has a merino vest to take. Way it's been last several seasons, the question is what kind of shorts are y'all hunting in.

Pow

FNG
I go out with a Rab grey polyester t-shirt that is an outer on only the hotest day.

I have a wool camo long sleeve midlayer that is normally my outer.

I have a Kuiu Peloton which is a light fleece type thing.

A Patagonia down puffy.

Sitka gore tex shell if things get bad.

I kind of think all those layers are useful. I almost never wear the gore tex, but when I do it is really needed. The puffy I almost only wear when I'm sleeping of first/last couple minutes of light.

jmez

WKR
My main outer layer for Sept is a short sleeve merino T shirt. Will also have a lightweight long sleeve hunting shirt, vest and rain jacket. That is all I take.

I wore a soft shell jacket until the sun came up, was quite comfortable the rest of the day in a long sleeve merino zip tee and Gorilla gloves.

Merino long sleeve 145 weight,
Cheap lighweight fleece, usually ditch it once I warm up.
Kuiu Guide vest.

I have a Kuiu Chinook jacket, but don't wear it much (It was a gift) If I know it is going to be colder or we will be on a ridgeline glassing I will throw it in.