Photobucket alternative?

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
What site are people using to store/post pics? I'm done with the incredibly slow, ad heavy, pop-up laden, new tab opening Photobucket.

twall13

WKR
I've been using Flickr and like it for the most part but it isn't without issues. I used to be able to make simple edits with it but that feature has been disable pending an upgrade for a few months now. I've never used Photobucket so I can't make a direct comparison.

I have a google Pixel phone as well so I'm playing around with google photos. Still unsure if I like it or not.

Google Photos is the best. Unlimited for 1080p or 15GB of full res. The only downside is that posting pictures is a little convoluted.

To post a picture on here:
  • The photo must be either in a shared album or individually shared
    To do this click on the share icon in the top right (looks like '<') and click "Get Link"
  • Open the shared version of the photo by copying the link and pasting it in a new tab or something
    Verify that the URL at the top starts with https://photos.google.com/share/ not https://photos.google.com/photo/
  • Make sure you have the image expanded to full screen and right click on it and select "copy image address" (this option changes depending on the browser you are using)
  • Click "Insert Image" on the Rockslide toolbar, select the "From URL" tab, paste the URL and then uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option

Last edited:
OP
J

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently struggling through Google photo, trying to sort by filename (doesn't seem possible) and easily add captions (also doesn't seem possible). Thanks for the leads. It does seem WAY faster than Photobucket and no annoying ads or pop ups yet.

Brendan

WKR
If you're just looking to post stuff to the classifieds and threads here and there from pictures taken on your phone - Tapatalk is the easiest.

If you want a full fledged photo site that you pay for - check out SmugMug. Unlimited storage and bandwidth, used by a lot of professional photographers.

vanish

WKR
Here's how to post photos straight from Google DRIVE ( not photo ) and _not_ imported into rokslide.

I REALLY wish this was less steps, but it works and keeps your images your own. This way, if you ever decide you DON'T want that image public anymore, you can control that from google rather than going to every site you ever posted the image.

1.) Open drive.google.com
2.) Find the Google Photos link on the right hand side
3.) Click the "Get Shareable Link" Tool
4.) Copy the url, it will look like:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wMmhEnl5Fs-ItKP80NPwkuXjE_6OhI9sQ
5.) Change the "open" in the url to "uc"
6.) On rokslide, click the insert image tool on a post
7.) Uncheck Retrieve remote file and reference locally

This was a little montage that google decided to create for me from last year's hunting.

uc

I'm currently struggling through Google photo, trying to sort by filename (doesn't seem possible) and easily add captions (also doesn't seem possible). Thanks for the leads. It does seem WAY faster than Photobucket and no annoying ads or pop ups yet.

If you want to sort by file name you can use Google Drive, which you can configure to have the photos show up in Google Photos. However doing it this way will result in a hit against your storage quota.

R_burg

WKR
Guys... Just use imgur.

Photobucket has sucked since the turn of the decade.

colonel00

WKR
I've been happy with Google Photos as well. A couple extra steps to get a URL to post but it's not that bad. Similar to above, I just do this"

Click on photo
Click on the Share icon
Click on Get Link
Click on the link which should open a new browser window
Click on the photo to bring it to full screen
Right Click on photo and choose to Copy image address

gumbl3

WKR
I don't have any stock in this, I'm not the family photographer, I don't even know how to keep my phone from taking pictures in my pants pocket. But I know the wife uses shutterfly, she gets books and stuff made from them, and my grandma could see grandkid pics online when she was still alive.

vanish

WKR
I've been happy with Google Photos as well. A couple extra steps to get a URL to post but it's not that bad. Similar to above, I just do this"

Click on photo
Click on the Share icon
Click on Get Link
Click on the link which should open a new browser window
Click on the photo to bring it to full screen
Right Click on photo and choose to Copy image address

This method is not reliable. The url is not guaranteed to stay the same over time, or work if you're not logged in to google. I know because its what I used to do and then after a couple days people would complain that my images weren't working. I highly suggest you try the method I outlined above for working with google hosted images.

How to get the direct link to an image in my Google Photos? - Web Applications Stack Exchange

colonel00

WKR
Interesting. I can't say that I've seen the URL change on any of my photos. I've got posts on here from a couple years ago that still have working photos.

cnelk

WKR
Ive been using Photobucket for over 10 years with no issues what so ever.
And plan to continue.

As far as pop-ups. I use AdBlock Plus and that pretty keeps them at bay

OP
J

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this back up in light of recent Photobucket issues.

BCsteve

WKR
Got the dreaded email today. All my posted pictures are gone. Hundreds of pictures posted on different forums, all gone.

Bar

Banned
Ive been using Photobucket for over 10 years with no issues what so ever.
And plan to continue.

As far as pop-ups. I use AdBlock Plus and that pretty keeps them at bay

Me too. No problems or pop-ups.