How old is too old?

kicker338

WKR
Too old LOL. I'm 69 and the last elk I helped pack out was a steep 300yd. climb to a road. There were 3 of us and the youngest who killed the elk was in his 50ty's. There was still some meat left the next morning to pack out so I was getting ready to go and the guy who killed it tossed
me a game bag, said whats left is yours and he was not going down that hill again.

cnelk

WKR
53 and kill more stuff now than I ever have.
I like my beer and whiskey along with good balance of exercise and activity with fishing, atvs and snowmobiles (not at the same time of course)

My mentor is my friend here in town named Paul who is 76 and he does solo wilderness archery elk each fall
If I can do that at 76 I'll be very pleased

Akicita

WKR
55 - I feel as if I am still going strong but I'm sure I'm slowing down a bit. . .

JP%20Summit_zpsvjp0w8bx.jpg

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm 62 did my first backpack hunt, solo, at 55 thought I was in shape but found out a 60-70 pound pack at 9000 feet was a bit much. I still had a great time. Next hunt was at 60, unfortunately I for got how hard the first trip was, had a great time again. Don't overdo it, enjoy the hunt and adventure. If you can have an outfitters number for packing out a critter that would help( I haven't had that problem yet). Push yourself but have fun. I'm hoping to pack in till I'm 70, after that my boys will have to help me. They are only 4 and 6 now.

AdamW

WKR
You sound like me for my hunt last year. I was 30. :D

Sounds to me like you're far above a lot of 55 year olds. Be smart about what you do/can do and how you feel and take it a day at a time on the hunt. If you are looking for a push to go, I think you've got it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an inspiring thread. I hope to have the get up and go that you all do as I get on in age. I'm 38 and trying to take care of myself better than the abuse I put myself through in my 20s in hopes of extending my time in the back country. You guys kick ass and if you ever need a hand on a pack out and I'm nearby, give me a holler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
Very inspiring for this 51 yr old who plans to keep running Full Throttle till I am 88. I keep a little note in my pocket with a safety pin just in case I croak,,,it reads " I, Ol Blackdawg, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerely, Blackdawg".

elkduds

WKR
59 this fall, still hunting elk solo in CO. Helps if you live here and hike the mountains often. My ratio of hiking to glassing seems to update annually.

bz_711

WKR
Sure like reading all these...and seeing you gentlemen still getting after it...I love it.
I'll be 40 this fall...maybe my best years are still ahead of me:)

Good luck to all of you - and don't forget to share your stories and pics this fall (and your age, because it appears to be motivating to many)

rayporter

WKR
i did not think 65 was old till i killed a bull solo. i still hunt deer solo all the time.

you can cheat ya know. get a goat or a mule or a YOUNG buck to help.

I would like to offer that anybody young or old in northern NM that wants to solo hunt but would like to have someone on call to hike in and help pack out to PM me. Not soliciting, just offering free help. (I wouldn't turn down a beer as a thanks.)

Mark

WKR
At 56 I'm slowing down a bit. As others mentioned above, I hunt smarter and I pick my battles. I find myself going around obstacles rather than over or through them. I move at a slow and steady pace. I may not go as far some days. I don't overload my pack and I'm a lot more cautious than I used to be. I can still pack my share of meat and still be able to walk upright the next day. I have no plans to stop until I'm forced to.

Fortunately, I have two sons to help me out. I know I hold them back at times and I'm grateful for their patience. I don't feel old at all, I just know I have to take care of myself if I want to do this for another 20 years.

Rokslide needs another T-Shirt for the over 50 crowd!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who the hell started this thread???:rolleyes:
Be 60 this year and I wouldn't hunt any other way than carrying your camp. Yup, slowed down some but kill and see more game than I ever did when "I just had to get to the top"
I'll be doing it till I can't. Two things I HIGHLY recommend..........mountain canes aka trekking poles and over 30 vitamins aka Advil.
Okay, maybe ONE other thing.......whiskey.

Go for it and make it hurt!

Randy.........60 is the new 20

Too old, not until yer dirt! Yep, 59 and still solo hunt and backpack year round. Winter snowshoe tossed off a horse or two on a seven day 4 years ago, a 30 mile solo in moccasins 2 years ago. So then my wife had me add a SPOT since I go it alone. Hard to find a good partner to go high and long with. Harder to keep my trekking weight down, maybe cause I too still like a cold brew and whiskey. Advil helps some too;) Even my trail partner Molly my lab has her own sleeping pad and dog ibu's, she getting grey and stiff as well. But like elkduds said, it helps living here in the high country and able to get out as much as I can with a pack, thats my thread mill. Sleeping in a hammock helps now!

So don't get down and out thinking your too old yet, and good to see I am not alone on this trail! Lets get some rockin T-shirts Roksliders!

IMG_5435_zps37a70659.jpg

In fact packing right now for a two nighter

Last edited:
Like a few others, I am a late bloomer to this hunting thing. I hope to do it for a long time.

My dad passed away last year. 71. He slowed WAY down in the last 10-15 years of his life. He kept saying things like, I will do that once my knee feels better or this when my back is better.

My step dad is pushing 80. He fly fishes 3-4x a week. Two fake knees. Two fake hips and a fused ankle. He is wobbly on flat ground. Even with two trekking poles he barely makes it over the rocks to fish and there is a LOT of falling. He has had to be helped out of s creek bottom once or twice. My mom yells at him constantly. He keeps going as far as he can as often as his body let's him.

Guess who I want to be like when I get old(er)?

Take care of your body but I say Pedal to the metal, fellas, the engine will let you know when it is blown.

I don't know when my last hunt will be, but when that day comes, I hope they have to carry me home.

You know, I am happy someone at 40 years of age chimed in. I wonder if anyone at 30 years of age can chime in also, since it seems everyone here is 50 years or older. Which I love given the knowledge that I can gain as I am just starting hunting at 45 years of age. You guys give me confidence and make me feel young, which is awesome. Thank you.

I continue to ride my bike 2-3 times per week, workout upper body 3 times a week, and now am getting ready for a hike up the 1,500 mountain right next to my house with my backpack. So I still feel young. However I continue to see some old high school and college friends continue to lose their shape.. and I mean in all forms.

Great thread, thank you.